1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can i extend a satellite cable?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV' started by ricflairandy, Sep 1, 2006.

1. ricflairandy

ricflairandy Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Hi all, im moving my av gear about 2 metres across from where the cables come into the house and hoping to extend the cable. Would it be possible for me to fit a wall socket that the sat cable would go into , then antoher one 2 metres away that it would come back out of?
  2. Slipperystevens

Slipperystevens Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I did the same a couple of weeks back. I bought a couple of these from Maplin. Only seem to come in white. Everything seems fine using these cables.

Mine are currently just laid alongside the skirting board, on the floor, but I'll be using conduit to hide the cable, as only about 1 to 2m will be on show.
  3. ricflairandy

ricflairandy Member

Ratings:
    +36
    They would be perfect. Do you know if you can get a wall box, sos i can hide that cable in teh wall with each end just coming out of a box?

Missus needs no cables!
  4. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC Member

Ratings:
    +110
    If Sky know you were doing that you would lose any warranty on the box you have remaining. We DO NOT use faceplates (I'm sick of saying that now!).

Face plates weaken your signal. The best way to extend the cable is to use an 'f' barrel that joins 2 cables together by f connectors. This is however not approved by Sky who would want you to replace the whole cable back to the dish. To put multi points in your room you need to use a quad LNB with 2 seperate wires going to each corner.

Cheers, Franc
  5. ricflairandy

ricflairandy Member

Ratings:
    +36

Does it really weaken the signal? How about if i just buy one of these connectors, then hide the cable in the wall and have it coming out oof a blank faceplate with a hole in the middle?
  6. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle Member

Ratings:
    +250
    Any discontinuity in a cable weakens the signal. Really you want a single cable from your dish to your satellite box.

Once you start adding connectors/faceplates etc. you risk starting to get breakup especially during bad weather.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. bob1

bob1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +144
    I soldered two cables together :rolleyes: ,although i don't recomend it.
  8. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC Member

Ratings:
    +110
    Now that IS okay and something I do reconmend to my customers.

Okay you have a hole in the wall and our grommit (if fitted) still doesn't hide the mess, then a face plate with the pcb removed so that the cable just pokes through the hole in the middle is of course fine as there is no join in the cable.

Cheers, Franc
  9. hornydragon

hornydragon Member

Ratings:
    +1,411
  10. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC Member

Ratings:
    +110
    :eek: if you must still use one then this is the only one I would use to give you the least problems
    100-00107 "F" connector wall plate for Digital satellite and TV

Cheers, Franc
  11. SamRadford

SamRadford Member

Ratings:
    +366
    The fully screened plates are generally OK. I have two diplex combiners in the loft that combine SAT, TV and FM. This feeds a single cable connected to a C13897 triplex decombiner plate downstairs. There's no effect on the Digibox signal strength or signal quality indications, and no channels suffer "break up". (The cable is RG6 with aluminium foil). In theory, all of these "defects" could lead to problems. In practice they don't.
  12. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC Member

Ratings:
    +110
    Give it time and we'll see who has problems first! RG6 tends to play up after a few years. Cheers, Franc
  13. SamRadford

SamRadford Member

Ratings:
    +366
    OK, I'll wait. It's only been there ten years. I should add that I slapped a coat of paint on it when it was first installed. That should help keep the moisture out.
  14. bob1

bob1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +144
    I think the problem is it as aluminium foil screen which corrodes over time,i can beat yours i have some transmission line which as an aluminium foil screen, thats been there 20years now, i would wait much longer ,the cable from my tv aerial is at least 25 years old but could be much older .
  15. SamRadford

SamRadford Member

Ratings:
    +366
    Darn. In that case I may be dead before I experience any problems with reception. :(
  16. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,090
    My analogue system ( a twin and a dual lnb feeding two mini-magics for a multiroom system) using rg6 (ali foil) cable has now been in place for 24 years with no problems so far - silicon grease and self amalgamating tape used on all exterior connections..
  17. SamRadford

SamRadford Member

Ratings:
    +366
    That would be "silicone". (You can make chips out of silicon but not grease!)
    :D
  18. davemurgatroyd2

Ratings:
    +1,090
    i stand corrected it should be "silicone grease" - but note you can make silicone grease from silicon

From wikipedia
    Silicon is the principal component of most semiconductor devices and, in the form of silica and silicates, in glass, cement, and ceramics. It is also a component of silicones
  19. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC Member

Ratings:
    +110
  20. bob1

bob1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +144
    Rg6 might not be the best cable but H109 / CT100 Type isn't the best either why not go for some WF-165 if you want something better.
  21. davemurgatroyd2

Ratings:
    +1,090
    None have gone t*ts up.

20+ Year old Amstrad SRD600 (A Rolls Royce in its day - one of Amstrads best ever products)
    Pace MSS1000 approx 12 years old
    24 + Year old Discus Ellipse

All wiring and LNBs will be replaced anyway soon - Incompatibilities between my Distribution boxes and my Digital non Sky boxes,
  22. ricflairandy

ricflairandy Member

Ratings:
    +36
    not strictly a sat cable, but can i put a standard ariel coax in a wall along with my other cables. There is no issue there is there?
  23. SamRadford

SamRadford Member

Ratings:
    +366
    Ariel is a brand of washing powder. So called "low-loss" Aerial cable is usually crap with (at best) 60% shielding. Put it close to mains cable (and other sources of interference) and you could be in for a nasty surprise.
  24. ricflairandy

ricflairandy Member

Ratings:
    +36
    So i cant put it in the trunking with all of my scart, component etc cables?
  25. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC Member

Ratings:
    +110
    You best use H109f (the best sat cable) or equivelent cable to minimise interference from the power cables.
    Cheers, Franc
  26. ricflairandy

ricflairandy Member

Ratings:
    +36
    the power cables are no where near.

Basicly, its for my standard house aerial. Goingto just extend it a few metres u the wall so that i can get my freeview via my tv.
  27. Accylad

Accylad Active Member

Ratings:
    +212
    Sky engineer installed HD for me a few days ago and I noticed he used two connectors on the cable from the dish as he cut the cable to short to reach the HD box.

Should I be asking for a new "one piece" cable?
  28. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC Member

Ratings:
    +110
    For piece of mind then yes as it will be covered in your warranty period.
    Cheers, Franc
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. SamRadford

SamRadford Member

Ratings:
    +366
    I don't understand your abbreviations "u" and "i".

For Freeview it's best to use fully-screened coaxial cable in a continuous run. Joining cables can give unpredictable results.