1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I drive a 7.5 ton lorry?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by stealther, Apr 30, 2007.

1. stealther

stealther Member

Ratings:
    +101
    Hi I found this on a van hire website is it true?

"The 7.5 ton vehicle is the largest vehicle available to an ordinary licence holder (if passed before 1996)"

I passed in 1998 and so if its true I cant hire a 7.5 ton lorry to move house with.

Thanks
  2. sdb123

sdb123 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,237
    I'd get in touch with the DVLA to check it out....

I'm going to be hiring a 7.5 tonne van to move with.

EDIT: Have a look here. Check the back of your photocard licence and see what categories you have on there.

Steve
  3. stealther

stealther Member

Ratings:
    +101
    I will have to give them a ring the website is about as much use as chocolate tea pot!
  4. sdb123

sdb123 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,237
    Remember to check the categories on your Driving Licence....mine shows C1 and C1E so I'm good to go. :thumbsup:
  5. sdb123

sdb123 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,237
    Here's a list of categories.
  6. johnelf

johnelf Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Hi
    I am up on these things so can help as it in my business.

The simple answer is no!

You would need C1 on your licence on the back, you probably have A and B.

Also, an operators license needs to be held, for use of any tachoe'd vehicle.

John
  7. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz Member

Ratings:
    +38
    If you passed your test (like you) post 1.1.1997 then No you cannot hire a 7.5 ton lorry for you house move...Thats how I read it. Those of us who passed prior to that have C1 & C1E include in the groups of our licence so We could hire the lorry. I have hired and driven several of these.

Can you ask a relative or friend to drive it for you?
  8. stealther

stealther Member

Ratings:
    +101
    Probably not.

I dont see what the big deal is its just a small lorry which any one who can drive a car should be able to drive I guess I could see how much the test costs.
  9. johnelf

johnelf Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Hi Stealthier

I disagree, these are extremely large vehicles, and what you are asking is for someone who has just passed driving a mini, can then go and drive a mini lorry. Health and Safety comes in here!

The 7.5t vehicle will be slowly faded out, as you need a class 2 LGV test pass, to drive them now (except for us with Grandfather Rights)

The course and test including medicle examinations etc will cost you around £1000. Please also remember, someone has to be accountable for the Operators licence as well

John
  10. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Bit off topic but the Sig at the end of you post re AV cables really made me laugh probably because it is so true...:D
  11. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +11,066
    It does seem a bit daft, I can hire one, my 77 year old dad can, my 79 year mother in law can (but let's not go there), but you can't.

Dave
  12. Mr Forgetful

Mr Forgetful Member

Ratings:
    +15
    May I also ask what the 'Operaters licence' is?
  13. Kebabhead

Kebabhead Member

Ratings:
    +509
    See here

PS I used to work in Goods Operators Licensing many moons ago. Best ones were those starting up in the buisness but could not read or write and we had to complete the application forms for them :suicide:
  14. John Watts

John Watts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82

True that my friend.
    But another thing is new drivers are prone to the odd bump/dink/scratch but in general because they are new drivers they tend to be more carefull. However i believe statistics show that more serious accidents are caused by and large by people who have been driving for years and perhaps got a bit too relaxed or over confident when at the wheel.
  15. flying haggis

flying haggis Member

Ratings:
    +9
    re the operators licence the hire company will hold the operators licence and you are just the driver or not depending on when you passed your car test
  16. eviljohn2

eviljohn2 Member

Ratings:
    +225
    I think it's a good thing that class C was removed from the basic license. As has been mentioned, a 7.5T truck is a large vehicle (well, it's a truck!) and you shouldn't be able to pass your test one day and jump in a truck driving job the next.

You can get a surprising amount of stuff within the 3.5T limit though, an extended Sprinter or box van will probably mean 2 trips but will be significantly cheaper to hire. :)
  17. stealther

stealther Member

Ratings:
    +101
    I think you have a fair point but in the past this was the case and someone like my mom could drive one right now if she wanted to but would be a danger. I think perhaps people with a few years experience should be allowed to drive them perhaps with a extra test at a fair price not 1k +!

Anyway we could not afford a removal firm I got loads of quotes and the only ones I felt comfortable enough to trust my stuff with were quoting £800 - £1000!

Solution is to hire a Luton box van with a tail lift and hope and pray we can get it all in with some imaginative packing skills.

Thanks for all the replies
  18. stuart2

stuart2 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    When we are considering an 'Operators Licence' I think we are getting sidetracked here. A direct quote from the item provided by kebabhead states:

"You need an operator's licence to carry goods (or burden) connected with any trade or business if you use a motor vehicle on a road with:"

Clearly if you are moving house that is not connected to any trade or business, but is for purely private use.
  19. gotaleaf

gotaleaf Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    sorry mate they dont want people who drive cars that think like you---hence the reason you cant legally drive them without a test--what next a 747 ha ha
  20. Magslad

Magslad Member

Ratings:
    +146
    Way to go with your first post, very constructive and helpful :rolleyes:

Any more 2-year old threads you want to drag up just so you can poke fun at the OP :suicide:
  21. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +11,066
    Quite... as it seems that he registered solely to post that :rolleyes:

Dave
  22. hornydragon

hornydragon Member

Ratings:
    +1,411
    I was shunting 17-28T 4 & six wheelers at 14 round a yard (air brakes are fun, not when you throw the Transport manager against the screen of a 1972 Bedford Tractor unit tho!) I cant drive a 7.5T legally even tho at 17 i had to park one for a mates dad who hired it to move house then couldn't get within 500 yards of the house! I think there should be an intermediate liscence or something as i can't even tow a trailer with GW over 750KG either. I personally think all pro drivers (taxi, Van, courier up to PCV and HGV) should have to retest every 5 years to keep them current the highway code has changed alot since 1960 when alot of drivers passed (my grand father had a class 2 with no test at all at one time you just had to put down on a form that yu drove trucks and along it came) For moving house a 3.5T Luton with tail lift will get most household stuff in OK but you may want 2!
  23. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,711
    It was a good idea to remove it from the standard license as it stopped all the 17 year old snooty girls driving massive horse boxes on a provisional license!
  24. hornydragon

hornydragon Member

Ratings:
    +1,411
    True also stops other things too! I want an A- liscence :devil:
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
  25. harpersimon

harpersimon New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As has been mentioned, you can only drive one if you have C1 or C1 + E on your license, passed pre 97
    Even then you can't drive more than a combined 8250kg if you have a trailer, but you don't need an operator license if you fit this criteria, as was wrongly mentioned in a post above..
  26. ChunkyAllen1965

ChunkyAllen1965 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I was recently asked to drive a 7.5 tonne truck for a friend and was stopped by VOSA on a routine check.

It seems that I did not have C1 category on my licence as I passed my test in 1998. As I had previously hired Luton vans I wrongly went by size of the truck and NOT weight. I assumed that the van symbol on the reverse of my licence allowed me to drive and my friends wrongly assumed that I passed before 1997.

The guy from VOSA was very helpful and said that they would not pursue the 'no insurance' as it was a genuine misunderstanding.

Does anyone know what is likely to happen as a result?

Thanks
  27. eric pisch

eric pisch Member

Ratings:
    +764
    I remember when the law changed we had several 7.5 tonne tippers, I drove them a couple of times.

They wanted to change the law to ban everyone driving them but that would have put people out of work at the time.

After driving one I think its right that they changed the law, the thought of some 20 yo white van drive belting up to a pedestrian crossing fully loaded ...
  28. eric pisch

eric pisch Member

Ratings:
    +764
    Technically you are driving with no insurance 6pts and upto several £1000 in fines and no license which i believe is also 6 points.
  29. ChunkyAllen1965

ChunkyAllen1965 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, but the guy from VOSA did say that there would be no points or criminal offence as he was not 'going down the no insurance route'. He also said that if he had done so he would have had to call in the police to deal with it and impound the truck. This didn't happen. I also signed his pocket book to that effect. He said it would be a fine.
  30. Jay J

Jay J Member

Ratings:
    +181
    I passed my test on Jan 10th 1997 and can only drive a car and light van (up to 3,500 kg). I'm not sure if I can drive a car with a trailer or caravan. I just wish had not failed my test the previous year.

On the other hand, by dad tell me when his mother bought her driving licence from the Post Office (no test in those days), she could drive ALL types of vehicle. I suppose in theory, she could even drive NASA's shuttle transporter. :eek: It was fun when she renewed her licence (aged 70 or whenever it expires) and it came back with exemptions, she returned it because her old one had no exemtion and could drive All vehicles.