Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can i convert a Pioneer 9500ii 110v to 240

Discussion in 'Hi Fi Systems & Separates' started by spenh, Oct 8, 2011.

1. spenh

spenh Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have a non switching 9500ii amp us version. It is very nice. I'm running it from a transformer but would love to convert it to 240v. I'm handy with a soldering iron and wondered I'f anyone knew what parts I need etc to convert it.
    Any help would be great.
    Thanks spencer
  2. Stockwell John

Stockwell John Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That is a very nice amp you have, the sort I lust after. I have the SA-8800 (I have a clip of it on one of my posts elsewhere in here) And Yes it is possible, all you require is the schematic/service manual to identify the tappings
    which will nearly always be beside each other. My SA-8800 is of the universal switching PSU with external dial, but have you actually opened up the amp and had a look as the tappings are probably obviously discernable or marked and will be aligned to the currently connected tappings, if not then google is your best friend for the service manual/schematic, or ten minutes for an electrician with a multimeter to discern the apt tappings.
  3. Crocodile

Crocodile Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,771
    Schematics for the 9500 are available here. Doubt the addition of a Mk II designation would be that different.

Looks like there were three models: KCU (110V), GN (240V) & D (switchable). I can't see any tappings on the fixed voltage model which would suggest that the transformers were different. In fact different models are listed in the exploded diagrams. Looks like you need to replace ATT 238A with ATT 237A. Even if you can find the part at a reasonable price, fitting isn't likely to be straight forward.
  4. spenh

spenh Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John, unfortunately I don't think it's that simple. I've been looking at the service manual and the inside of the amp and I think parts need to be changed. I need to find a service manual for the 240v version I think to compare but am struggling.

Thanks Crocodile I hope I don't need to change the transformers. The mkii is actually a totally different amp the mkii is dual mono and even has two transformers.
  5. Stockwell John

Stockwell John Member

Ratings:
    +0
    These two links may at first seem unhelpful, they are to the homepage and forum of a German based Pioneer technician who provides excellent free advice. Alas his sites are of course in German, but he accepts email/posts in English and replies likewise.
    The required tappings are there, trust me they are, but it seems it maybe a bit tricky discerning them? You may need to remove the unit and access maybe required via the undercarriage, but they will be there, somewhere?
    Startseite - Elektroniktechniker.de
    Fischer Elektronik
  6. spenh

spenh Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again John Ill keep digging and will let you know how I do. Ive looked at your sa8800 it is a very nice amp I would love one with the blue display idealy the sa9800 but they are way out of my budget.
  7. Stockwell John

Stockwell John Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, any luck, have you tried the German technician, he will reply and will provide a solution if one is viable.

8. spenh

spenh Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John, Ive Managed to get in touch. He says its unfortunatly not possible. Ill keep my eye open for a solution though.
  9. reddish75

reddish75 Member

Ratings:
    +28
    The ONLY solution is new custom transformers.

Chris
  10. Stockwell John

Stockwell John Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi S, now I’m baffled. I would’ve expected Herman to have a solution.
    I’m also baffled to Chris’s suggestion that “The ONLY solution is new
    custom transformers”?
    The existing “transformers” are all that needs “customising”, the amps
    substrate tracking will be feeding components that require 5v/8v/12v
    and maybe one or two 15v.
    But an amp as opposed to a source component also needs a beefy power
    supply to pump out the Amperes.
    The transformer in your classy amp is one humdinger of a current resistor,
    all that is required is to tweak it for 240v input, not replace it.
    Anyway, I have a couple of step down devices so decided to try them
    this morning. My SA-8800 has universal switching so clicked it to 110,
    I also dug out a couple of 1970’s 110v Akai components, I only spent an
    hour messing about, a very brief clip below.
    One is a Maplins wall wart approx 3 yrs old and the other a chunky wound
    precise resistor, both functioned fine with no sonic degradation, though the
    Maplins device did noticeably heat up when used with the amp.
    I get bugged/hooked on this sort of thing so I’m going to log into Pioneers
    Japan home site, click the support/feedback link, use google translate and
    try and get one of their technicians to come up with a solution for your
    specific amp. they do reply eventually, but it can take weeks.
    For the time being stick with the external step down device.

I’m hooked on tweaking of all sorts, here is a clip of one my NOS’d cd players.

11. Crocodile

Crocodile Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,771
    As I alluded to previously, it seems that these amps were built with transformers specific to their target markets. I've had a look at the schematics for the Mk II & that seems to follow the same design. There are no multi-taps to reconfigure short of dismantling the transformer & rewinding the primary coil. I have no idea why Pioneer chose to do this rather than multi-tap a single transformer but it appears that they did.

I would think that the OP's only realistic option is to keep an eye out for a faulty 240V model & nick the transformers from that.
  12. Alan Mac

Alan Mac Member

Ratings:
    +233
    The mains frequency must also be taken into account when designing a transformer.

Less turns are required and / or less core material is required as the frequency is increased. It is for that reason that aircraft use 400 Hz - to save weight.

A transformer designed for 60 Hz use may well run very hot if used at 50 Hz.

Alan
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  13. Stockwell John

Stockwell John Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent points made, of course in my clumsiness I overlooked that issue as all my multi-voltage components, all have on rear panel template 50/60hz compatible, well of course they would as they are switchable voltage, tut tut naughty me. But I'm still going to try Pioneer for a solution...
  14. reddish75

reddish75 Member

Ratings:
    +28