Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can bad weather affect my connection?

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by Tokoloshe Man, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Tokoloshe Man

Tokoloshe Man Active Member

Ratings:
    +415
    I live in the north of Scotland and just like a lot of places, we've had some awful weather over the last few days, torrential rain and strong winds which lasted all of Thursday and most of Friday.

I've noticed my connection has been pretty slow is weekend, I'm with Virgin adsl, I can only get up to 8mb here due to my location. Yesterday was awful, my speed was down to less than 512 at some times. I can average up to 5mb on a good day.

Just wondering if the weather we've been having will be affecting things in anyway?
  2. askpackers

askpackers Member

Ratings:
    +30
    If some of the relay stations have been flooded then it is quite possible the network bandwidth could be lower than normal due to having to re-root and or use alternative network connectivity eg backup lines which are sometimes slower speeds or reduced bandwidth.
  3. 961

961 Active Member

Ratings:
    +670
    It's not clear if you have connection via BT land line or Virgin cable

What I would say is that many connections may have been affected by transmissions via microwave or satellite links, but these will be transient when the rain is actually falling

More likely I would suggest is damp in the local network caused by local flooding. This may take longer to clear and may require remedial action.

Why not report it via your support centre and see if they will investigate?
  4. Tokoloshe Man

Tokoloshe Man Active Member

Ratings:
    +415
    I'm on a BT landline, no cable up here.
  5. 961

961 Active Member

Ratings:
    +670
    Then I would start by thinking damp in the local wires between the exchange and your master socket

Don't know how far you are from the exchange but any connections/junction boxes are liable to damp especially if there are bits of underground cabling which may currently be underwater. We live in the Borders and have had nearly as much rain

Get your ISP to ask BT to check for problems
    • Thanks Thanks x 1