Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a VGA connection display HD format?

Discussion in 'Laptops & Netbooks' started by ScouserAndy, Sep 23, 2008.

1. ScouserAndy

ScouserAndy Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Was thinking of using the laptop connected to my tv to play downloaded HD videos. Is it possible with a vga cable?
    I know i wound get sound, thats easily sorted.
  2. 2010

2010 Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Yes, provided your display is high definition (I presume it is because it has a VGA input).
  3. ScouserAndy

ScouserAndy Member

Ratings:
    +24
    yeah the tv has vga input, had a play before. Just didnt know if i could syill hed a HD picture over it. The TV's max resolution is 1366 x 768.
    What would i need to set the pc resolution to, to make best use of the tv?
  4. awoodhall2003

awoodhall2003 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +67
    you would need to plug in the TV and then your laptop should register dual screen and you should get an image on each one, then goto display properties and change the resolution to 1,366x768, however if i remember correctly your probably have to set it to 1,280x720 as thats 720p, and more likely for your laptop to display.
    If you cant select either of these get powerstrip and you will be able to.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. ScouserAndy

ScouserAndy Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Any tips for making smooth playback over the TV, i dont need to fiddle with other settings or anything. Laptop is fairly powerful, Tosh satellite pro, dual core 1.6ghz, 2gb ram, vista ultimate.
  6. awoodhall2003

awoodhall2003 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +67
    to be honest the only major factor of smooth playback is what is playing it back so as long as your laptop plays it back fine you shouldnt have a problem, unless you got a crappy vga port on your tv you might see a small bit of tearing/motion blur, but if not should be perfect.
    I connected my tv like that for about a week but i changed to dvi>HDMI lead and was better, plus ive got a cheap tv set thus the vga port isnt excellent.
    Good luck and enjot :D