Cambridge Audio Minx - First Impressions

I have just had a lightbulb idea. I have a pair of bookcase speaker stands I bought for a pair of Q A speakers. I can use them to listen to my Minx speakers and see how good they are in that position - if I find them to be a really useful asset to my listening experience, then I will invest in a pair of CA's own floorstands! :clap::clap::clap:

I have just visited an old thread about 7.1 BD titles. I was pleased to see that Tron is being released in 7.1, that will be 3 whole titles that i will then own in 7.1. I only mention this as this was my reason for buying the two min 10's was that they will be used for 7.1. And all things being equal I should get my new 7.1 reciever next week. Did I mention 7.1? LOL.

Last edited:
I have just completed 95% of my new setup using Minx min10's off of my new Denon AVR-1911. I have only heard the Minx's briefly as I fiddled with settings. But I have to say I am really pleased so far. I am on seventh heaven not only getting the exact right speakers to give 7.1 in the most discreet possible arrangement, but having bought the Denon for a mere £200 I can cannot believe my luck. As things stand(no pun) I am happy to fork out another £80 to buy the CA floorstands as they are really well made!

I've been into Richer Sounds in Milton Keynes this week to pick up my new Onkyo TXSR608 and they've got the CA minx 5.1 set up for demo in store. For the size of the speakers they really pack quite a punch so I'm deffo gonna put them on my shopping list...better start saving!!!

Don't get it...
Every time someone on these forums mentions a small satellite system (e.g. Jamo A102 or BA Soundware xs) everyone is on about how bad these systems are and that you should at least buy bookshelf speakers. Now, all of a sudden, these are supposed to be incredible good?

Well xit2050 I cannot believe I'm going to say this to a senior member but it seems to me that unless you have heard them your selve you are not qualified to speak,the reason I find that funny is for I was once in the same boat. Another member said that as far as he could tell a new panasonic BD player was based on the(then) new LG BD390, I challenged him and he gave all this proof to support his claim. Three esteemed sources have backed up Minx as performing really well for there size. Now I know experts are often the least trustworthy source's of advice. But from what I've experienced personally at the very least they are excellent as support in a larger system. And at least are worthy units(and heres the point) good performing style based speakers for any one whos really tight for space. If you live in a nice roomy house that can swollow Monoliths, then more power to you, but please don't shoot of command's about things you cannot have any knowledge of!:oops:

@sneerfulbrute, I think you misunderstood me.
I'm not one of those that say that all satellite systems are bad, however I'm wondering why these would be better than the examples I mentioned.
I think the Jamo A102 HCS6 is a very good system (for it's size) and these units are even smaller... but cost several times (4?) more, I very much doubt they sound 4 times better than the Jamo system.

but cost several times (4?) more, I very much doubt they sound 4 times better than the Jamo system.

OK then, my apologies, if that is your reasoning then you are in my domain, I have argued many times on the forum that spending £1000 on an amp compared to buying one for £200 will not get a five fold increase in power or quality, and I do not doubt your reasoning that way. No the Minx's will not replace or compete with larger footprint systems. I am a big bang for buck's kind of person, which you might be able to tell if you read my posts on my new Denon AVR-1911 recently. But the Minx's bring in a new equation SPL for milimetres, as I said(and others have said) the Minx's have an unnerving ability to pump out large sound waves in excess of its size - hense in my setup they held their own in a 7.1 arrangement. Thats what you are paying for, that and some really well made, quality construction speakers! All in a small footprint - think of them as the caviar of small speakers!

PS I realised half way through this post that your main objection is not the size but the cost, so I quickly googled Jamo A102 HCS6, never thought of my self as a snob but to my eyes they look cheap and nasty, but a person could be in need of a small footprint and low price. The Minx's look better, have a range of micro sub's and would believe that they sound better. Maybe not twice as good but better.

Also I've just checked the spec's of the Jamo and the nearest Minx version is "only" twice as expensive!

I guess in a match like that it's up to the individual!

PPS Also another plus to the Minx system is you can mix and match, for example one member has already bought a white 200 sub with three min 20's in black. And that will doubtless cost MORE doing it that way but you cannot put a price on greater freedom of choice!

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I am gaining some really useful knowledge here. I am about to purchase a receiver / speaker set up and could do with some advice.

I recently visited richer sounds and listened to the Cambridge Audio Minx speakers. I was impressed with the sound - especially the Min20. I am almost certainly going to go for 3 Min20s (front left right and centre) and two Min10s (rears) and to keep cost down possibly go for the Cambridge Audio S80 sub rather than the x200. For the receiver I'm looking at either Sony STR-DH810 or Yamaha RXV667.

My questions are:

Will the less expensive sub be ok with the Minx speakers? Does anyone have this sub?!

Which amp would be a better 'match' for the Minx speakers? I've read alot about warm/bright amps/speakers etc... And matching the two for best overall sound.

Appreciate any info on this (and apologies if this is posted in the wrong place!)

Adam

to keep cost down possibly go for the Cambridge Audio S80 sub rather than the x200.Will the less expensive sub be ok with the Minx speakers? Does anyone have this sub?!

Appreciate any info on this (and apologies if this is posted in the wrong place!)

Adam

I would say go for the A80 for now with a view to upgrading in a year or so and when you are ready check out the subs from BK electronics, they offer really good bass speakers at a fair price and come with a two year warranty as standard!

Also I do not know where you live but Richers Sounds are currently selling the Denon AVR-1911 for £200. As this is a similar spec to the one's you listed it's worth considering,also that comes with a two year warranty - check with your local shop and if they have it in stock you can reserve it up to three days in advance!

Last edited:
Yes I think I will do that and upgrade the sub as and when money allows! I wanted the Denon initially, but found it was sold out here in Exeter. Apparently they have one at the Plymouth store which I could go and collect. I assume they would let me purchase it in the Exeter store and then collect from Plymouth (I want to buy the amp, speakers, sub and a tv all at once to negotiate best price!).

Thanks for ur advice.

I have just finished watching Wanted with the Minx's making up my surround speakers in a 5.1 arrangement. My situation positioning wise is far from ideal if ideal is the arrangement shown in the manuals. The Minx's performing amazingly both in quality,volume and postioning of sounds. When something was behind me thats where I heard it, if the music was gentle or loud thats how it came across. The detail was fantastic and I only have 10's. If you are concidering buying these they are worth the price! No wonder the CEO of CA has defended them on this thread. If you want discreet powerful speaker's go for it!

just for some input, i went to richer sounds in kingston yesterday, they have the 10's and 20's on a stand where you can instantley switch between the two, probably not ideal but gives a direct comparison. tbh i wasnt that impressed with the 10's (the sub wasnt working so may have something to do with it) but them seem to lack grunt and also depth in sound, but again this could have been made more apparent witht the shop atmosphere. they did however have the 20's hooked up with the onkyo 608 in the demo room. tested them out with 'the expendable' on bluray. sound was lovely, amazing bass, really felt the action and the bullets you could hear pining off things from the ultra crisp high notes. for me they are out of my budget but seem like cracking speakers for the size!

seem like cracking speakers for the size!

Thats why I am trying to sell them, I saw an amazing cinema room in another part of the forum where the member had hooked up 7 6 series B&W speakers, but thats the point, he had the room and pockets deep enough to be able to do that - at the end of the day you got to ask yourselve - WHY should I buy the Minxs. If the answer comes back, because I do not have much room or the missus will not allow anything bigger, from my experience and it seems your's you will get decent surround sound experience!

That does not mean you are tied to the sub - again your circumstance's may dictate how and what you buy.

PS have just finished watching and listening to Avatar on BD. Sometimes you wonder if you have been guilty of supporting the kings new suit of clothes. IE am I hearing something thats not there. Not any more! These little speakers are dynamite, everything that the sound track chucked at them they handled with ease, I must be honest and admit then when I bought them I did not realise that they would make up the rears all the time when set to 5.1, its only when I rewired up my new amp that I clocked it. That said I am completely happy now. I am no audio expert and cannot compare one source with another. But I do not feel cheated by not using my Eltaxs as I use to - the Minxs are certainly upto the job!

Last edited:
Check out this excellent and balanced review: HERE

First time here....
I bought a pair of MIN20s a few weeks ago and have been very pleased with them. I already owned a Yamaha YSP2200 soundbar. For movies etc. the 2200 is excellent, but it fails somewhat on music... a bit like listening to music with holes in it. My plan was to fill the holes using some small speakers while letting the 2200 take care of the bass and bounce some ambiance around the room. After a bit of review reading and a trip to Richer sound I took the plunge and bought the MIN20s. The fact that I could get them in matching shiny black was a bonus.
The result was very pleasing. Movies work well with the 2200 sending spaceships etc. across the room at regular intervals, and music from the Transporter has never sounded better.
I have owned satellite speakers in the past... e.g. Bose. The Cambridge Minx just leaves them standing on every front - not least in their use of superior technology to avoid creating the midrange dip that is often the tradeoff for reduced size.
Thoroughly recommend anyone looking for something smaller to give these a listen.

I'm currently in search for a really compact subwoofer for a Yamaha YSP-600 Soundbar. Would the X200 be a suitable match to a soundbar or is it meant solely for the MIN10 speakers? Any advice or opinions on the subs performance would be appreciated.

First and foremost... I do not claim to be an expert and am getting on in years, so golden ears are not my bag. But having said that I do like toys.
My first/last soundbar was thy YSP 1 (yup the very first one) I used that with a Warfedale sub and that worked out well (still does in my brothers flat)
Initially I thought I would go for the biggest meanest thing in town... at the time the B&W. The local hi-Fi shop was happy to give me one on loan.... I am sure they giggled as I took it home.
It clearly had more than enough oomph... it shook the building... movies were frightening. Fortunately I had discussed my trial with my neighbour... and together we watched his crockery rock. A magnificent non starter.
So back it went to the shop... very nice... very audiophile... and very unsuitable for a flat.
Back at the shop the manager smiled... try this he said pointing to the Warfedale... it's not going to shake the world, but it is more than enough for what you need. And he was right.

So to get to the point... I have only listened to the 200 in RS where it sounded ok (but admittedly not the best listening environment - small busy shops etc.... thats why they are cheap... and good luck to them). All the Minx subs have quite a lot in the way of knobs etc.and a dsp to do complicated stuff. They are all impressively small. My guess is that with some knob twiddling you could probably match it up quite nicely with your 600... though I am guessing here. A home loan would be the best way, but I am not sure if RS do that kind of thing.

Received wisdom says the 300 hits the prime point for beefiness... maybe... but do you need max beef?. The point is to get something that suits your living environment (and reduces your neighbours kill instinct).

If you are thinking about Minx satellites... listen to the singles and the doubles... there is quite a difference.

Hope that is of interest

Just wondered if you can by the centre speaker of the Min20 on its own. Thought about getting this and a Onkyo HTX22DDX to make a 3.1 system for my parents, with the option to go 5.1 later if I can persuade them to run more cables.

If you can't how clear on vocals is the Min10 as a centre.
Thanks

I took about 3 seconds to decide the MIN20 was better than the MIN10... much more dynamic. So to be fair I did not really listen to the MIN10 properly. But having said that the difference is between having one or two identical drivers (which roughly equates to about 3db difference between the 10 and 20). So the main concern would be balancing the 20 as a centre with whatever you use as L+R. Cambridge themselves seem to have gone for all 10s or all 20s across their range of cinema setups... which may tell you something about getting the balance right if you were to use all Minx.

The 20 is a nice crisp sounding speaker that works well with vocals and should work well as a centre.

First and foremost... I do not claim to be an expert and am getting on in years, so golden ears are not my bag. But having said that I do like toys.
My first/last soundbar was thy YSP 1 (yup the very first one) I used that with a Warfedale sub and that worked out well (still does in my brothers flat)
Initially I thought I would go for the biggest meanest thing in town... at the time the B&W. The local hi-Fi shop was happy to give me one on loan.... I am sure they giggled as I took it home.
It clearly had more than enough oomph... it shook the building... movies were frightening. Fortunately I had discussed my trial with my neighbour... and together we watched his crockery rock. A magnificent non starter.
So back it went to the shop... very nice... very audiophile... and very unsuitable for a flat.
Back at the shop the manager smiled... try this he said pointing to the Warfedale... it's not going to shake the world, but it is more than enough for what you need. And he was right.

So to get to the point... I have only listened to the 200 in RS where it sounded ok (but admittedly not the best listening environment - small busy shops etc.... thats why they are cheap... and good luck to them). All the Minx subs have quite a lot in the way of knobs etc.and a dsp to do complicated stuff. They are all impressively small. My guess is that with some knob twiddling you could probably match it up quite nicely with your 600... though I am guessing here. A home loan would be the best way, but I am not sure if RS do that kind of thing.

Received wisdom says the 300 hits the prime point for beefiness... maybe... but do you need max beef?. The point is to get something that suits your living environment (and reduces your neighbours kill instinct).

If you are thinking about Minx satellites... listen to the singles and the doubles... there is quite a difference.

Hope that is of interest

Thanks for that. It's definately the X200 I'm thinking of for a small room and neighbours next door. I was just looking for something to take the strain off the soundbar and provide such much needed bass. I know the BK Gemini 2 gets a good review here but it's bigger than I hoped so I was thinking the X200 would be a good match but better quality than the recommended Yamaha FSW100 sub. Should the X200 be considered a sub in it's own right or is it only going to sound good in a MIN10/20 setup?

I brought a set of these home yesterday.

Hadn't heard of them before I took a trip to Richer Sounds.

I was recommended these over the KEF KHT2005.3.

Do they really get better over time? The guy in the shop said they need a bit of time to bed in and I noticed the above review says the same?

Are you guys still enjoying your speakers?

I brought a set of these home yesterday.

Hadn't heard of them before I took a trip to Richer Sounds.

I was recommended these over the KEF KHT2005.3.

Do they really get better over time? The guy in the shop said they need a bit of time to bed in and I noticed the above review says the same?

Are you guys still enjoying your speakers?

I'm using these in conjunction with a Denon M38 so it's a 2.1 audio set up. They were very bright to begin with but have settled down nicely. I may have got more bang per buck buying a pair of bigger bookshelf speakers but these are very discrete which was something I was after

to keep cost down possibly go for the Cambridge Audio S80 sub rather than the x200.
Adam

I have also just visited Richer Sounds to check out some subs and have listed to all above.

My first impression was susprise at how small they are, followed by suspicion that they dont give a deep bass, followed by disappointment and confirmation that the bass was not very deep at all at the x100. I then listened to the X200 and it got a bit better but still not good enough. Now could have been that in the store the door was open and you also had road noise mixed in.
When listend to the X500 it just just about right. They also told me that on the X100 and X200 sub the volume needs to be turned all the way up to get an effect..whereas on bigger subs you dont have to.

Now my problem is that I have good floor standers at the front which produce a nice and round bass, but dont go down to 35hz..but the sub I need will obviously have to match the floorstanders. Am I then left having to buy a huge sub with 12 in or above driver and fork out 300-500 quid?
the driver of the cambridge S80 speaker is smaller then what is already integrated in my left and right floor stander..so this kind of confuses me as to how effective the sub will be..

can anybody help?

Just installed the Minx S215 5.1 system to go with my Onkyo TX-SR608 AV Receiver and they look and sound the mutts knees (in my very humble and insignificant opinion). Very discrete so the wife's happy and the combination of white and black finish to match decor is a nice touch. I've got the surrounds mounted on the dedicated CA600P floor stands in white finish.

Here's a link to my living room AV build thread. I've just put some new pics of the speakers on there for your perusal...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-building-diy/1415894-my-chimney-breast-mounted-floating-wall-project.html#post15434524

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom