Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable Length for router and phone extensions

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by hotnuts21, Oct 14, 2009.

1. hotnuts21

hotnuts21 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My BT master socket is at the opposite end of the house to my office. So I can do two things.

Add a long extension right down to the office, with maybe a spare socket along the way, and then plug my router into this phone socket.

or

have a very short extension off the master socket into the lounge, plug the router in here, and have long cables to my PC's etc in the office.

I need a long cable run, im wondering if its best to have a long phone extension to the router, or a short extension and long RJ45 cables from router to PC's.

With the second option, I could have the router going straight into a wall plate and that to take the cables to the individual PC's but then I will have lots of connections as opposed to a single cable if I do it direct!

Hope that makes sense,
    any suggestions
  2. Andy98765

Andy98765 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,491
    Either way it will not matter.
  3. hotnuts21

hotnuts21 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks, I had read that the closer to the master socket the router is the better the signal!

Do you know if having an extension box between the master and router is a problem.

Master - - - Extension 1 (phone, Sky+) - - - Extension 2 (router, Phone)

Speed is a bit of an issue so anything I can do to help, will er help :)
  4. Andy98765

Andy98765 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,491
    Most speed issues are caused by having what is known as the bell wire connected, and as most telephony equipment these days do not require the bell wire it is best to disconnect it. Basically all that is need is connections 2 & 5 connected in the Master and the secondary sockets which in telephony wiring is the White/Blue and the Blu/White wires ONLY. The bell wire is the the orange ones.
  5. marrtin

marrtin Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I found out by trial and error, that even with the "bell" wire on pin three disconnected, the internal wiring in my house was reducing the broadband speed significantly.

In the end I decided to plug the router into the master socket and have all the extension telephone sockets running off one filter. This means I don't have to worry about filters everywhere.

The network cable goes from my upstairs office, up into and across the loft, down through a wardrobe in another bedroom , down inside the chimney breast in the living room, under the floor, across and up behind the tv where the router now lives. I havent a clue how long the cable is, but it is long, very long. I even had to shove a load of it under the floor to lose it. I get the same connection speed upstairs as I do on the computer that is 2 metres from the router!

If you go this route, just be aware you can pay over the odds for the cable at some places.
  6. Grimroper

Grimroper Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I got one of these - ADSLNation XTE-2005 Professional Quality Master Faceplate Filter - to replace the BT faceplate. One of the best upgrades Ive ever done and dead easy to fit, assumming you can undo 2 screws!

Improved my broadband connection no end. It has a good quality filter built in and means you dont need all those nasty dangly filters on any extension lines you have.
  7. t72bogie

t72bogie Active Member

Ratings:
    +539
    same here - one of the first things I did after moving into a new house 2 years ago (supposedly had 1 year old wiring)

gained 800Kbps - 1.2MBps on most days...not bad for a cheap upgrade :smashin:
  8. beerhunter

beerhunter Active Member

Ratings:
    +759
    I am afraid that I have to disagree. Ethernet will put up with the inherent electrical 'dirtiness/noise' of a domestic dwelling better than ADSL. If you have an electrically noisy house, then Ethernet is the way to go. Unfortunately there is no easy way of telling how good/bad a place is and so Ethernet would be the first choice.