Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying DIY Trade Tools

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by zoink, Feb 12, 2012.

1. zoink

zoink Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello

Could someone please recommend some websites where one could purchase trade tools such as drills, jig saws etc?

Thanks!

P.S. I'm new to DIY and wanting to have the base tools before embarking on work! lol ;)
  2. jtotheb

jtotheb Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Screwfix would be a good starting point
  3. Geps

Geps Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Another recommendation for Screwfix - I've used their returns service a couple of times now and it's been well worth it.
  4. rdmbfossa

rdmbfossa Member

Albums:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I buy quite a lot of tools for work and find ffx and toolstop both very good. Depends on your budget, I find Metabo stuff very good, quality tools should last a long time if you look after them.
  5. mifty12

mifty12 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I am a carpenter and personally find screw fix over priced my recommendation would be www.itslondon.co.uk
  6. Daftvader1

Daftvader1 Member

Ratings:
    +2
  7. J-a-m-e-s_7

J-a-m-e-s_7 Member

Ratings:
    +77
  8. 27neth

27neth Active Member

Ratings:
    +387
  9. zoink

zoink Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the list guys! That's awesome! Now let the bargain hunting begin! :D
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  10. liamt

liamt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,110
    op: get the best tools you can. buy cheap and you buy twice and end up with a bad job.

i would recommend Makita tools, very good. their jigsaw is awesome too. not cheap but should last years. black and decker just arent built to last.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  11. Geps

Geps Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Screwfix will price match so you don't need to worry about over paying ;)
  12. Yaka

Yaka Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Personally use screwfix the most and they are more than happy to price match.

One tip I can give to a DIY newbie is be careful who you lend tools to. I've lost count the amount of times family
    Members have naffed up blades, drill bits and drills etc. much more cost effective to tell careless folk to get lost
  13. Navvie

Navvie Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I second the Makita recommendation. DeWalt used to have a very good reputation before Black & Decker got hold of them.

Amazon can be surprisingly competitive on power tools.
  14. davepuma

davepuma Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,183
    There are a few ebay retailers that sell Milwaukee tools at far cheaper than you will find at your local trade supplier. If you're buying a job lot of power tools, it would make sense to get them all from the same brand so that they use the same battery etc. Bosch blue, Makita, DeWalt, Hilti seem to be the most popular trade brands. Hilti can only be bought direct. The build quality and back up is meant to be second-to-none. It should be for the prices they charge. I have a Hilti SDS and combi drill. Way over the top for my use but they should last a lifetime.
  15. J-a-m-e-s_7

J-a-m-e-s_7 Member

Ratings:
    +77

I second this, these are the 5 main brands you want to be looking at in my opinion: Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee, Bosch and Hilti if you can get a good price. I buy a lot of dewalt and makita and have never had any major problems they are equally as good in my opinion i never understand why people always talk about dewalt being rubbish because of the affilation with black and decker. Yes i now people who have had dewalt tools go wrong but i also know people myself included that have had makita stuff pack up on them. Thankfully i received good customer care from makita and dewalt and each time anyone had any problems they were more than happy to sort it. I think really when your buying tools this is what you end up paying the extra money for. I'm in the trade and i use my tools everyday so they take a fair bit of wear and tear having the peace of mind that it shouldnt break and in the unlikely event it does they will sort it is worth the extra money the tools cost over cheaper brands. Milwaukee is also very well made too.

Regards
    James
  16. aVdub

aVdub Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,120
    It's also worth checking the DIY giants now and again.
    I've picked up some good named tools at good prices because the store is clearing old stock.
  17. 27neth

27neth Active Member

Ratings:
    +387
    My cordless tools are all Hilti. I have used Makita and Dewalt in the past, the Hilti are better :smashing: The plumber i work with binned all his Dewalt tools and bought Hilti after using mine..
    If you do have a problem, (i had a wire come loose on a charger) took it to Hilti on Monday afternoon, it was back repaired on the Wednesday afternoon...:smashing:

John..
  18. Yaka

Yaka Member

Ratings:
    +49
    They are in a similar league to festools arnt they, prolly out of the price for the average diyer
  19. 27neth

27neth Active Member

Ratings:
    +387
    I have some Festool tools too :smashing: Id say the Hilti tools are better than the Festool ..... For a diyer they are a waste of money..

John
  20. Smurfin

Smurfin Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,749
    Agreed, I buy all my stuff from here too. Found out the hard way on the last refurb project. The last time I bought anything in orange, or green Bosch.

Slowly amassed a collection of Makita powertools and I must say, it makes a HUGE difference on DIY projects...
  21. Smurfin

Smurfin Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,749
    I've never found the DIY giants to be good value on decent power tools. Sure, you find some cheap Makita, Dewalt and Bosch blue kit, but it's stuff that's generally at the bottom of their ranges and for the serious DIY'er, or someone doing a big project, even that stuff doesn't cut it.

Go for Dewalt or Makita 18v lithium ion kit...and go for cordless on everything you can (the caveat being something like a big mitre saw or SDS drill if you have lots of masonry to get through). Even then for SDS, I'd probably still go cordless. Just make sure you have more than one battery...

Essentials for me are:

Impact driver
    Drill driver
    Hammer driver (often good having this separate to the drill driver for convenience)
    Jigsaw
    Circular saw
    Mitre saw

...but it all depends on the work you're doing.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  22. aVdub

aVdub Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,120
    And how much the OP wants to spend.

The majority of my tools are high quality and were bought for the jobs I was doing at the time and are still going strong now. Bosch is my prefered brand.
  23. Sanders79

Sanders79 Member

Ratings:
    +221
    Love my impact driver (dewalt 18v li-ion), best tool I bought last year.
  24. Geps

Geps Member

Ratings:
    +103
    I'd say angle drill driver over the impact driver - very useful when you're building stud walls and drilling holes to run cables through joists.
  25. Smurfin

Smurfin Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,749
    tbh I bought mine gradually over time. The best thing for me was to buy tools as I could afford them, not just when I needed them. Saved me the pain of shelling out an absolute fortune in one hit...
  26. Smurfin

Smurfin Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,749
    I have to say, out of all of my tools, the impact has been the most useful. Very compact, and makes short work out of DIY when it comes to any form of construction.

I've got an adaptor bit for one of my drills, but I have to say, a dedicated angle drill driver is next on my list for when I do the current house refurb project that's in the planning.
  27. Rick2102

Rick2102 Member

Ratings:
    +46
    ITS are good, I always shop around, but never heard of these guys, ordered a catalogue and am impressed :smashin: Thanks.