1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Butt shakers. Anyone got advice on these?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by m4rky_m4rk, Jan 29, 2009.

1. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk Active Member

Ratings:
    +332
    There are a couple of old threads on here, in fact two,but they are so old that the links do not work. Has anyone got any newer info, recomendations or advise on these. Are they more acceptable now. I guess not because there's not much talk about them.

Is there a British English name for these or is Butt Shaker now the universally accepted name?

IronGiant seems to have tried them out in past. IronGiant do you still use it/them?

The obvious susbsequent questions may follow :)

Ta, mark
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1 New Member

Ratings:
    +551
    You mean these? They look FUN:D

HOME THEATER SEATING | BUTT KICKER | BASS SHAKER INFO
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk Active Member

Ratings:
    +332
    Yes spot on. I thought some on here may not of heard of them and I looked for a link like that but my Google key words were not good I think. Nice one.

Butt Shaker, Bass shaker, Butt Kicker and I guess a few other names :devil:

Looks like fun to me too and I hope someone here with actual experience will comment e.g. good, bad, absolutely mental, divorce, neighbour from hell, massage chair is better etc.

This thread was inspired by the following thought train:

Earthquake, 1974 distaster film featuring sensurround.
    Sensurround - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    DD5.1 LFE equivalent???

If you have heard the film on your system, it's available on DVD, please comment here p37.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/subwoofers/251297-best-movies-subwoofer-moment-37.html

ps I do not have neighbours close by but I do have to watch out for roof avalanches :D

edited to add:

I started a new thread to discuss the merits of sensurround

http://www.avforums.com/forums/subwoofers/923788-sensurround.html
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  4. WillieCocker

WillieCocker New Member

Ratings:
    +111
    Oh dear wrong type of buttshakers.:D

Those look a lot of fun actually , the seat ones....ahem.

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. The-One

The-One Member

Ratings:
    +23
    I had the office chair version of the Buttkicker. Think it was the "Gamer".

It worked pretty well and was quite cool. It's a nice toy, but no subsitute for a real subwoofer.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk Active Member

Ratings:
    +332
    I was thinking more like, in addition to a subwoofer :D

But others who cannot, for neighbourly reasons, use a sub may find that a bass shaker is a good compromise or at least better than no shaking.

7. WillieCocker

WillieCocker New Member

Ratings:
    +111
    Yeah i don't think they are designed for replacing the sub , more to heighten it and make it feel like its so loud it's shaking the seat.
  8. swiftpete

swiftpete Active Member

Ratings:
    +392
    Yeah, that's what I've read. Screw it into the wooden frame of your sofa and connect it to amp. Apparently it's the same feeling as when you have a really powerful sub at full blast but without actually having to have the sub that loud. I can only imagine it would massively improve films and gaming.

I'm going to get one for sure! They're cheap enough to try out.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk Active Member

Ratings:
    +332
  10. swiftpete

swiftpete Active Member

Ratings:
    +392
    haha I've just burst out laughing at the idea of someone breaking a rib! That's some serious rumble pack action. I've seen the clark synthesis silver transducer somewhere for £130. That's pretty cheap really. I think bk do a cheapie version for 20 quid that I'll probably buy just to mess about with first.

My friend has told me about this infamous 'brown note' which is a frequency that apparently makes you soil yourself. Would having a crossover set up with one of these so it only plays that note be any good during horror films?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk Active Member

Ratings:
    +332
    You will win more friends of the girl variety if you tune into the resonant frequency of a certain female sensual body part instead. Might be good for the girly flicks. Not sure what the frequency is but it has been mentioned somewhere on here before. Maybe some can enlighten us; I am not doing the search for that :rolleyes:
  12. paulst10

paulst10 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,150
    :D This was tested on Mythbusters and was in fact 'busted' ie: did not work :( (and this was in front of a serious multiple subwoofer array nearly as big as a bungalow) :eek:

IIRC - it was 7hz ?
  13. swiftpete

swiftpete Active Member

Ratings:
    +392
    I always had a bit of doubt it existed myself! I tell you what though, a guy my friend and I used to know cut his sofa apart, slotted in a pair of club speakers and then put the cushions on top. I never experienced it on full whack but my mate says that used to make you need the bog. I can believe it too.
  14. WillieCocker

WillieCocker New Member

Ratings:
    +111
    Look at this sensurround setup.
    :D OTT anyone.

Attached Files:

15. cribeiro

cribeiro Member

Ratings:
    +313
    I know of somebody who owns two of those, but now upgraded to a serious subwoofer and decided he does not need them anymore... Just to make you think :D;)
  16. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +11,085
    Hiya!!

Yes, I had two butt shakers when I had a weedy Yamaha toy sub, they shook the sofa like mad, something the Yammy completely failed to do. They really helped and had the advantage you could adjust the amp power fed to them to get a full on house shaking performance, albeit confined to one chair :rotfl: or a more subtle tremble of the arms. They did have their advantages though if you had timid relatives staying. You could enjoy a theatre-like experience while they got nothing. Or if you felt really evil pop them in the hot seat :rolleyes:

Once I got a real sub they seem a bit superfluous so I sold them on to another forum member who wanted to play with them.

I bought a MK1 butt kicker off ebay (similar to this :ButtKicker LFE :: Shaker Centre - Bass Shakers and Accessories for Flight Sim, Gaming, Pro Audio and Home Cinema) for a £5 (because no-one was bidding on it and I got in a lucky silly low bid) to play with, but don't have a powerful enough amp to fire it up just at the moment.

Dave
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +11,085
    :devil:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/subw...ur-subwoofer-can-really-go-2.html#post8689645
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Cliff

Cliff Member

Ratings:
    +243
    Not sure what advice you want after the last amusing posts!

But I do have 4 x 50 watt units that I imported from partsexpress.com

I fixed them to the internal wood structure of the settee and comfy chairs. Had to make an incision to the cloth underneath. (this has to be done when the wife/ girlfriend is away for the day by the way)

I took a low level output from my REL strata sub (after filtering). This was then fed to an old Yamaha 100w amp to drive the shakers 2 x4 ohm in series on each channel. This old amp also had a graphic equaliser which was just the ticket. Just used the last couple of faders to allow the LF through.

The effect is excellent but only use with films with big LFE effects. They complement the sub woofer sound and you do not need deafening levels.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. cribeiro

cribeiro Member

Ratings:
    +313
    OK, I know two persons now :rotfl: I am serious! :smashin:
  20. dynamodav

dynamodav Member

Ratings:
    +3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +11,085
    a bit more than that in the UK I fear...

Dave
  22. dynamodav

dynamodav Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Im from the uk too mate, ive ordered stuff from this website, delivery is priced fairly. Its a shame the exchange rate is so rubbish now otherwise these would be a really really good bargain.

The good thing is that these are 4 ohm, so link them up in series and double them up: Brilliant!
  23. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +11,085
    £89.99 a pair in the UK inc VAT exc delivery (I think) ...

So with a reasonable delivery charge from the States they probably work out fairly similar in price.

Dave
  24. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk Active Member

Ratings:
    +332
    I was wondering what to do with my old 3 channel surround amp. Only one xover at 90hz to play with butt (ahem) its got a 4 and 8 ohm impedance switch. 3 butt kickers could be run off it :rolleyes:

This is getting more interesting. :D
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  25. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk Active Member

Ratings:
    +332
    Are you considering again IronGiant ? Tempted?
  26. Cliff

Cliff Member

Ratings:
    +243
    The Aurasound are the ones I have. I bought them, at least 3 -4 years ago, but they are heavy and the cost of shipping was about the same as the cost of four units as I remember. Pretty good for the price.
  27. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +11,085
    Nah!!! If I was I'd be getting an amp for the kicker rather than anything else.

For the record I ran my pair of shakers from a spare Technics 35W stereo amp which was more than powerful enough. I split the sub output from my AV amp and sent one signal to the Yammy sub and the other to the Technics. I can't remember what I did at the Technics end I guess I must have split it again into L&R inputs.

I wouldn't worry too much about the crossover as the frequency response is a sharp 20-100Hz centred on 40Hz and when you see the graph (can't find one at the moment) it looks a bit like an A.

Dave
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk Active Member

Ratings:
    +332
    You correct about the xover. In any case when I replaced my 'excited little boy' head with the 'thinking' head I realised that the amps xover is no good to me. It would divert everything below 90hz to the sub low level ouput on the amp leaving me with 90-120 going to the shakers via the speaker outputs! Not so good. Best, as you say, to send the full 0-120 to shakers.
  29. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk Active Member

Ratings:
    +332
    Frequency responses for

Aura sound AST 2B-4

[​IMG]

I just fixed the broken link for the above and while I am here I will add a new shaker that seems to be similiar:

Beyma SK07:

This was 'discovered' by Basshead. See here for his thread.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  30. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +11,085
    That's the one :) It looks even more like a capital A than I remembered :D

Dave