Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Business Contact Manager - importing and updating issues

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by Mr Incredible, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,530
    Any BCM gurus in da house?!!

Scenario:

I have 17,000 account records that I use for marketing campaigns. I analyse information like last years revenue, current number of employees and then filter and do the necessary calling or mail merging.

Last years revenue numbers change when a company goes through its year end, and I get an external file with the new information in a CSV.

I for the life of me cannot find out how the hell I update the revenue field in the existing accounts; either "do not allow duplicates" on "update" does nothing, or "allow duplicates" does just that, it creates new records with just the revenue field completed.

Another issue I'm stumbling across is when importing both accounts and contacts associated with the account. Import allows accounts and contacts to be imported, but even if I have a field in the contacts file which is the account name (exactly), BCM does not assume a person is linked to an account. How do I sort this issue?
  2. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,530
    Answer:

updating a BCM Contact from imported list in Outlook BCM

Looks a little long-winded in that you import your updated records into a new database (backing up your current one first) and then export to BCM. Restore the backup and import the "exported BCM" file and can select "update". Talk about making it hard!