Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bush HD Freesat Box - mini review

Discussion in 'Freesat Forum' started by pjr918bmw, Jun 15, 2008.

1. pjr918bmw

pjr918bmw Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Currently use Freesat. Just to be fair before I slag the SD performance of the Bush box - I currently use a Sony Freeview box (best their is /was) and send this as component signal to Denon Amp which upscales to 1080P, HDMI to TV. TV is 46" Samsung LCD. Result excellent picture depending on Channel. So the Bush HD box....

Setup - 5yr old could do it. I get signal strength of 90 ish and quality maximum. The EPG and menus are slow and you often find yourself going past where you want to be.

SD performance - it's very poor but like Freeview does depend somewhat on which channel you are watching. Comparing Freeview BBC 1 to Freesat BBC 1 (scaling switched off on Freeview setup for fairer comparison) the picture is noticeably worse. The picture is simply softer/out of focus and lacks any real detail. Plugged in a SKY box to compare and the SKY SD picture is better (not as good as Freeview though) than the Bush box. Played around with the scaling options on the Bush and they did not make a huge difference - best for me is 1080I.

HD Performance - Wow! now that is impressive. Dont get carried away it's not same league as 1080P Hd-DVD or bluray but it is very good - and I guess that perhaps on better boxes (when they turn up!) will be better still? Football is excellent - you can actually make out the facial details of the crowd. Still some motion blur but I think thats as much down to the TV. Incidentally, the ITV SD picture is probably one of the worst!

Conclusion - I bought the cheapest box just to give it a go and see how things develop. I'm going to keep it but will just use for HD stuff and stick to freeview for SD. If you want to see what HD looks like on your telly give it a go - but if TV size is say over 40" and you sit less than 10 feet away you are not going to like the SD performance. I would say that the HD performance matches that of SKY HD (watched at a mates) but am not able to do back to back comparison.

FWIW :hiya:
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  2. arthurdentpc

arthurdentpc Member

Ratings:
    +103
    I have to say I haven't found the SD 'very poor'. It's true it's not as good as Freeview, but I don't notice it significantly different to my Pace SD Sky receiver connected by SCART, I think they're on a par. It's certainly watchable imo. The rest of your review is spot on !
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Billposter

Billposter Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I got a Bush HD receiver from Argos.

Some say it comes with an HDMI cable in the box but my one didn't.
    Luckily I had an HDMI cable already.
    When I got it home the welcome screen didn't appear it was set up and started showing a channel straight away.

It should really be factory fresh and you have to put in your postcode and set the viewing aspect and download the software and then you are ready to go.

I've noticed a few times that the picture and sound vanish for a couple of seconds and then come back.

I plugged in another sat 19E to try a couple of foreign HD channels but I found on one occasion that on one of the channels ARTE HD sound disappeared and I couldn't get it back. I had to delete the German channels and reinstall.

Back to British channels.

I find the quality of the SD channels very good.
    Not sure if this is because I'm using HDMI cable.

Now the problem.

If I go to 108 the BBC HD the picture quality is exactly the same as the SD channels.
    If a prog is on say BBC 2 and BBC HD when I switch between the two there is no difference in pic quality.
    If I put in Luxe and Luxe HD and switch between the two there is no difference in pic quality.
    If I check ITV London and there is a prog in HD when I press the red button to get the HD version and then go back after pressing the blue button to SD there is no difference between the two.

When you try to delete channels that you've added in the non Freesat mode I find that having the 0 and just below it the Menu button on the remote when pressing right arrow and then 0000 to delete something and you have to delete the channels one at a time I kept hitting Menu instead of 0 all the time.

I have a Samsung LE32S86BD.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  4. Stiggy

Stiggy Active Member

Ratings:
    +672
    I'd do a factory reset, as it sounds like your box has been setup before you got it.

What are you outputing at? 720p? You should see a difference between SD and HD!
  5. avanzato

avanzato Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Sounds like you have a refurb or returned box.
    When I first installed mine it checked for updates and asked for the postcode.
    You probably don't see any difference with High Def channels as someone has set the HDMI to output 576 instead of 1080 or 720.

Do a factory reset like Stiggy recommended and see if that helps.
  6. Billposter

Billposter Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I set it to 720p and 1080i and there was still no difference between SD and HD.

I also did a factory reset.

I took the box back to Argos and said I didn't think it was a new box and that I thought it was faulty.

Got a refund no prob.

If it was better in HD I'd have kept it as £67 is a good price and the tuner seemed quite sensitive I got a strong signal off my dish.

I'd probably have got a little fan to put beside it as it ran a little hot.

No rush there is not that much HD at the moment here so I'll try something else later on.

Thanks for the info.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  7. Billposter

Billposter Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I went back to Argos and got another receiver and this one is brand new comes with an HDMI cable and it says on the box this time HDMI cable included.
    I had to wait 10 mins while it downloaded the software and then I put in the postcode.

Seems to be working well on the HD channels. :)

Also when I plug in my other dish for Astra 1 on 19E have a few German HD channels.

Think the other one was a faulty return from someone and they just put it back into stock and then gave it to me.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  8. Geoff_W

Geoff_W Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Yup! That sounds like Argos. I once bought a Dect phone from them which had a load of someone elses telephone numbers installed!

Geoff
  9. Billposter

Billposter Member

Ratings:
    +1
    After a bought the new one I saw someone selling a SKY + HD receiver for £30.

I think that would have been OK if you just wanted BBC HD channel.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  10. mike7

mike7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +327
    I had a similar experience with Argos. Bought a DVD player for a friend. The box had been opened. The batteries were already in the handset. The thing was totally 'locked up' and would not work. I think someone had tried to make it 'region free' and failed. The assistant obviously knew something and pointed out to us that the set was UK region only. Make sure anything you buy from Argos has not been pre-owned or used.
  11. andesig

andesig Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Me too! Bought my Bush HD box at Argos and it was ubviously a pre-owned item. The paper seal on the rear of the box was already broken, a Scart cable was included instead of a HDMI, the remote smelled of cigarette smoke, and the box was scratched.

In use, although the HD and SD performance is highly satisfactory the thing freezes up regularly - pretty pink and green patterns appear on screen. The problem seems to have got better after I improved the cooling (the box runs incredibly hot even in standby mode).

Well, you get what you pay for, and we all know where Argos's bottom line is... Let's see if I can live with these pecadillos - I live many hundreds of miles from the nearest Argos so it's not easy to return.:suicide:
  12. zombie_donkey

zombie_donkey Member

Ratings:
    +24
    I'd report them to Trading Standards.

I'm picking mine up from Argos tomorrow and I will check its new before I leave the store.
  13. rn143

rn143 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    These boxes are quite poor compared to the Humax Foxsat - I'm so glad I only paid £6 for mine.
  14. zombie_donkey

zombie_donkey Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Got mine today, all sealed.

Set up was a breeze and it works a treat. Been on standby for a couple of hours and its ever so slightly, tiny bit warm on top in one spot.

So far I'm happy with it.
  15. avanzato

avanzato Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Have you still got the box?
    My original box used to do this, I got it swapped out as the recent update hosed it. The new box is a Goodmans that according to the sticker on the back was manufactured a few of months later than my Bush one.
    My first box didn't have a heatsink on the processor, the new one does and it runs a lot better/more reliably.
  16. MrGoatsmilk

MrGoatsmilk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    We have the Bush FreesatHD box, to be fair the SD picture is softer than freeview in my Samsung 46" LCD but that's not always a bad thing, as it does hide artefacts on some of the channels that I see on freeview. HD is very good and can't fault it.
    The problem I have at the moment is that the EPG keeps dropping out so that all I get on most channels is "No Information Available" I have had the box for 2 months and it's only just started doing this. The software is up to date and signal strength and quality are almost full. It will occasionally show program details for less than a second then revert back, although not all channels have this problem.

Again bought from Argos was unused and all in packaging as expected.

Stu
  17. Geofbob

Geofbob Active Member

Ratings:
    +312
    I have this box, but have not encounterd this problem. Have you tried a rescan - but note that this will delete any non-Freesat channels you've loaded. Just to confirm - AFAIK the latest software version is 1.8.1.

But if you can't find a quick solution - you should probably take it back to Argos & get a replacement or refund.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. MrGoatsmilk

MrGoatsmilk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The rescan is a very good idea, thanks I shall give it a go. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Just done the rescan and seems to have done the trick!

Thanks for the help

Stu
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  19. copystuff

copystuff Member

Ratings:
    +3
    so whats a good box to get ?
  20. technowizard

technowizard Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Humax are the best of the bunch.
  21. copystuff

copystuff Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks will go have a look to see what models i can find. since i have never tried freeview or freesat which is the best ?
  22. technowizard

technowizard Member

Ratings:
    +54
    I personally prefer Freesat as it has far more potential than freeview and the HD Picture quality on Freeview will be lower because of cripled bandwidth.
    FreesatHD & Freesat+ also have the advantage of VoD (BBC iPlayer etc.) coming but its currently limited to BBC iPlayer on Humax Boxes, all other brands don't have it yet.
    Check out the channel listings for both services, see which you prefer. It may depend on wether you can get a freeview signal.

Hope this helps.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. copystuff

copystuff Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks there i really want to go for the best picture qaulity so i can bring my HDTV to life.
  24. Stiggy

Stiggy Active Member

Ratings:
    +672
    My original Bush freesat HD box now refuses to turn on. The blue light comes on when it's connected to the mails, but neither the remote nor the buttons on the front panel will switch it on.

Any ideas before it goes in the bin?
  25. billy2

billy2 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    got the same probs my self box stoped working last night :mad:
  26. IRpgI

IRpgI Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I purchased the hd version and it came with fw 2.0.2
    Ive got problems with picture and sound loss.
    More so on the hd channels.
    Thing is it only does happens while running through hdmi,with scart its fine.
    info page shows

model # 00
    hw ver 1.4
    soft ver 2.0.2
    signal strength and qual bars are full
    lock ok
    net id 003b

my parents have the same box and the same problems
    ive tested it on 3 televisions with the same problems
    anyone else got this box with 2.0.2 with similar probs ?
    i dont know wether to take it back to argos and try a humax instead.
  27. dunny78

dunny78 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Exact same problem here. Bought one today running 2.0.2 and am having constant picture and sound loss issues through HDMI, especially on HD channels. Not tried scart which is a moot point anyway as I bought it for HD. Took back to a different Argos for a swap (thinking it might be a faulty batch) - got home, tried new one, exact same problem - also on 2.0.2. Fuming!

Disappointing as I already have a Bush HD box on another TV running on 2.0.1 perfectly. Have used this to my advantage and tried swapping everything over - HDMI leads, power, satellite feed, swapped boxes and TV's etc and it's definitely the new box that's faulty.

Presumably an issue with 2.0.2, of which I can find virtually no info on the web. Maybe a patch will be released but I've bought this to watch the World Cup in HD and am not prepared to wait, so will be swapping for a Humax on Monday unless there's an update between now and then.
  28. IRpgI

IRpgI Member

Ratings:
    +0
    took mine back and payed the extra for the humax and works no prob so deffo a prob with the 2.0.2 i think
  29. dunny78

dunny78 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Same here, swapped for a Humax today and it's perfect (although the iPlayer menus are slower than the Bush).

Just hope Bush don't roll out 2.0.2 to existing boxes OTA now! You would hope they have realised and won't do.
  30. sorr

sorr Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just got mine yesterday, same problems, same S/W 2.0.2 .. loss of picture and sound.. only got it for World cup, getting worried now... on the plus side Quality is great on HD, but I'll get really ****** off if I miss a goal due to loss of picture...

Can't get BBC IPlayer working either... Red button just says connecting, done what i think should be correct, entered my Mac ID on web site, My Router has issued a IP address to the box, etc... Any clues?