Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buffalo LinkStation Live 1TB USB Port

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Fatti, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Fatti

Fatti Member

Ratings:
    +40
    I currently stream, via ethernet rather than wirelessly, from my PC upstairs (using Serviio) to my Sony BDP-S370 BD player downstairs.

Rather than have the PC upstairs on just to stream, I thought I'd get myself a Buffalo LinkStation Live, transfer what we want to watch to it via ethernet and, using the built-in DLNA client, watch it via the BD player.

The LinkStation also appears to have a USB port - is it possible to connect this port to the Sony's USB, and see any files and files on the Buffalo as if its a normal USB device? I know the Sony's USB is only capable of seeing USB devices if they are in FAT32 format, so:

1. Can the USB port on the Buffalo be used in this way?
    2. Is the file system on the Buffalo NTFS or FAT32 and, if it is NTFS, can it be converted to FAT32?

TIA...
  2. next010

next010 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,763
    No, the USB port is used for storage expansion on the NAS only.

It is likely EXT which is a linux file system.

Also you are likely to loose media compatibility with the Sony BDP-S370 which is known for poor media support. Serviio is a transcoder that converts media to play on devices and has specific device profiles for Sony equipment. The server on the Buffalo NAS is Twonky and the NAS does not have the processing power to handle transcoding video.

If your media is in a wide range of formats not natively supported by the Sony player you will need another media player in order to play them back.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. charles_b

charles_b Member

Ratings:
    +89
    Buffalo NAS internal drives are normally formatted as XFS. I believe you can reformat them as FAT32

(actually, having thought about it, I think you can format attached USB drives as FAT32, but possibly not the internal one, as the OS is stored on it.)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Fatti

Fatti Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks guys

I think the general concensus is that its not going to work in the way I hoped it would. If the USB port worked like a USB 'stick', I wouldn't have too much of a problem. Most of my video media is in MKV format and, if I put it on a memory stick, the Sony seems to play it without any problems...as long as the profile isn't set to something like 5.1.

It sounds like to do what I'm after, I just need a normal external hard drive with an ethernet port as well as a USB one...do such things exist or does that combination only comes on a NAS?

Thanks again :)
  5. next010

next010 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,763
    They don't exist as having simultaneous connections causes all sorts of problems.

Best option is buy a WDTV Live Hub, this media player will handle all video types and has a built in 1TB HDD that is shared out over the network so you can copy files to it.

Another option if sticking with the Sony is to use something like Rebox.net on the mkv files quickly turning them into mp4 videos which might play on the Sony player without any hacks needed so they can play through the Buffalo.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. themediaman

themediaman Member

Ratings:
    +169
    For compatibility on both the BD player and the PS3, repackage all your MKV content with mkv2vob, this takes only minutes for most 720p and 1080p content. No trans-coding, no lose of quality...........and you can simply share them with your DNLA NAS.

As you already have a networked player that plays MKV, I can only assume your PS3 is in another room. To play 1080p stuff and 720p comfortably you will need a wired connection to your router. Is this the case.....?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Fatti

Fatti Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks themediaman, I'll give mkv2vob a whirl.

Don't have a PS3 but yes, everything is wired :)
  8. mooperman

mooperman Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,164
    MKV2VOB doesnt work on all MKV files and can sometimes take hours to finish. I learnt this the hard way with my PS3 before i set up my HTPC. :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. next010

next010 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,763
    Dont use MKV2vob if planning on switch to another media player later, the hacking of h.264 into vob containers is generally only supported by the ps3 other media players will not play the files, I'd keep the original around at least if proceeding.

The files rebox.net output are mp4 video which will work in any media player should you move away from sony products.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1