Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget 5.1/7.1-SPEAKERS for about £150-300?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Shoo, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Shoo

Shoo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a reiever already, a RX-V663, but now I need speakers... I've got a 7.1-set at my old place, but it's in north and I am in south now, so bringing them all down here would cost a lot of money + take enormous space which I don't have in my new place.. So yeah, I am aware that I will not get a great/excellent sound quality with a speaker set to £150-300, but even speakers that give OK sound would do!

Actually, what I can do, is to bring down 4 of my speakers (2 side and 2 rear speakers) since they're so small. But the front, center and sub I cannot take with me.

So, any suggestions for speakers that match the price of £150-300..? I am not expecting much, but I am sure I can get SOMETHING, right..?
  2. Passingbat

Passingbat Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,242
  3. martysport

martysport Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  4. DeepDiver

DeepDiver Member

Ratings:
    +101
    I agree with dicklodge. V Good speakers. I have them matched to a Denon 1910. :clap:
  5. BlueWizard

BlueWizard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,800
    First, in a small space I would forget 7.1.

The suggested Q Acoustic are indeed well regarded speakers, and that is a very good price for them. It is not uncommon for this system to sell in the £400 to £500 price range. If you insist on having a full 5.1 to start with, these would be a good choice, and they are good enough to leave you room to improve on them in the future by upgrading the fronts with something from the 2000 series.

However, if you can get by without a full 5.1, and build up the system over time, you can do better in the long run with just buying front and center now.

The Kef 1005.2 and the Tannoy SFX are also in your price range and are well regarded, though not a style I like. Personally, I think I would prefer the Q Acoustic over these, but the Kef and Tannoy are much more compacts, which is exactly what I don't like about them. Your opinion may be different.

I don't know much about them, but people say the Harman Kardon surround packages sound well above their price. I have no direct experience, so maybe others can comment on them, I know there are some people here who have them. The HKTS7 would be just at or slightly above your price range.

Steve/bluewizard
  6. Shoo

Shoo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I see... Hmm... They seem quite good, but unfortunately, neither of those stores seems to ship internationally, so that's a suck.

Another dude suggested me to get this set: Dynavoice Magic S-4 5.0 5 Kanaler | Surround.no - Høyttaler spesialisten og this set: Proson Reality Sat 31 SA Sort pianofinish 5 Kanaler | Surround.no - Høyttaler spesialisten - What do you people reckon about those systems?

Like I said, I am not looking for something TOO fancy here since I want to replace my TV sound with an acceptable surround system.

Another thing... Since I already got a RX-V663, 2 back and 2 side speakers, could I then just get me a pair of these: Komplett.no - Patos Basic 110 Stativhøyttaler and this center: Komplett.no - Patos Basic 210C MKII Senterhøyttaler - Would these work fine to connect to the other speakers and receiver that I've got? They're all Dali; SS5 and R1000's.
  7. vib ribbon

vib ribbon New Member

Ratings:
    +123
    I cant believe the Kef 1005's and the Tannoys have got a mention - yet the Jamo A102's (HCS5P) have not :confused:

In my opinion they are better than the Kef's and the Tannoys and can be had for at about £100 less than the Q Acoustic's - they come under the budget of what the OP originally stated as well.

I personally dont think you can go wrong with them.
  8. Shoo

Shoo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but where can I locate this Jamo-set that you mention? Hopefully I'll be able to find a place that ships internationally... And that speaker set sounds really interesting, considering that it's small and doesn't take up much space.
  9. Passingbat

Passingbat Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,242
    I agree, within the budget, the Jamos are possibly the best set to go for and would pair better with his Yamaha amp than the Tannoy SFX set. But for an extra £50 above budget (here in the UK) the QAs would give a definite increase in sound quality over them.
  10. Shoo

Shoo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I see...

Well, so far I can only find the A 102 HSC 5-set with a sub... and I really don't need a sub, to be honest. I've already got an XTZ 12W... And yeah, that Jamo-set would've been a nice choice, indeed. But unfortunately, the sub is what puts the price up...
  11. vib ribbon

vib ribbon New Member

Ratings:
    +123
    Give AudioVisual Online a call\email:

Audiovisual Online - High Quality Audio Video Cables and Accessories

They have the Jamo set on backorder - they used to deliver to Europe, etc but stopped due to postal insurance being unavailable or something like that - but you may as well give them a call and ask if they would make an exception, you have got nothig to lose.

Where 'up north' are you based?
  12. vib ribbon

vib ribbon New Member

Ratings:
    +123
    AudioVisual online just do the surrounds (a pack of 2) on thier own - for about £85 if thats any help.
  13. vib ribbon

vib ribbon New Member

Ratings:
    +123
  14. Passingbat

Passingbat Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,242
    I had the same thought re Audiovisual, but looking at their website, they don't ship electrical goods internationally.

Delivery & Returns
  15. vib ribbon

vib ribbon New Member

Ratings:
    +123
    Indeed, thats why i mentioned:

16. Shoo

Shoo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I see your point. I have sent a contact message to them. If they don't reply, I'll just give them a call.

But... is it just me, or is the whole speaker set worth more than just getting 2 speakers + stands? Or, maybe I don't need the stands, but still... Too bad they don't offer just a 5.0 set... now THAT would've been something! Heh. I could however just buy 2 front speakers + a center considering that I've got 2 side and 2 back speakers already and a receiver, of course. What you reckon?

But yeah, are there any other audio stores that ship internationally other than AVO?

I am located in Norway.

Yeah, that's just pure unlucky me... but still, will try to contact them and see what they say about this case.

If there are any other suggestions, please let them come! :)
  17. Passingbat

Passingbat Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,242
    :oops: sorry, missed that bit!
  18. Shoo

Shoo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Still no answer... hmm...

Any other speakers I should consider getting, hmm?
  19. Shoo

Shoo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am still wondering what I should buy...

Should I just buy 2 small front speakers, 1 center and bring 2 side, 1 surround and the receiver from my old place instead of buying a new set, maybe..?
  20. confused88

confused88 Member

Ratings:
    +70
    Buy an all new set. Where are you located? Did you know that you could order from Amazon? If its a 5.1 you may not be able to order it's too heavy, but you could easily buy satellites individually.
  21. Shoo

Shoo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I see... unfortunately, amazon doesn't ship to Norway it seems.. sad as it is.

Apart from A102 from Jamo, which other set would you guys recommend..?