Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BT Vision Remote Control Problem

Discussion in 'Freeview Forum' started by Crabman32, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Crabman32

Crabman32 Member

Ratings:
    +35
    I have just set up my new BT Vision box today and all seems to be fine apart from a problem with the remote control. Sometimes the box doesn't pick up the signal from the remote making navigation of the menus a pain. Sometimes it takes four pushes on the remote for the box to respond.

Very annoying. :mad:

Anyone have a similar problem?
  2. scribbler101

scribbler101 Member

Ratings:
    +118
    Have you checked/changed the remote battery?
  3. theo cupier

theo cupier Member

Ratings:
    +116
    The BTV box is notoriously lethargic with remote control signals. I found that to be the case with the original remote and with my Harmony all-in-one.

Allegedly there were some improvements made with a recent firmware update and I've found that power cycling the BTV box can help with remote sensitivity.

Other than that, the only thing I can recommend is ensuring you are pointing the remote directly at the BTV box when you press it and holding the button down a bit longer than you might for any other device but that can be problemmatic.

The only time I find the box becomes oversensitive with the remote is when using the A-Z search facility to find a programme. The number of times I overshoot the letter I want when using it like a phone keypad is unbelievable.
  4. Pug72

Pug72 Member

Ratings:
    +191
    I have the same prob, the fix?

Turned the backlight up on my LCD tv. Strange but it works.
  5. alanw8555

alanw8555 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Thanks to all the replies
    I dont have lcd tv, but i did try the same on my plasma and still nothing.
    I aslo agree with the comment that it only seems to be when navigaing through the on demand section scrolling up and down. However mine is not over sensative its non responsive and you have to press constantly for it to move up/down once.
    I have also tried changing the battries and still the same.

I was just wondring if its a problem with the v-box or remote control?
    And would a universal remote act the same or fix problem?
  6. davenash

davenash Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem. All was fine with the remote when I first received the V Box but lately after a period of remote inactivity the remote fails to work at all with the V Box - I know the remote itself is working as it operates the volume on the Samsung TV - I have to press buttons for around 10 minutes before it starts to work again and BT cant seem to solve this. Anyone any ideas - its costing me a fortune in Duracell AAA Batteries.

I even tried resetting the remote by holding down the * and # keys whilst pressing the power button on the remote but this makes no difference - neither does a hard reset of the box - very frustrating!!!!!:mad:
  7. maxiglasgow

maxiglasgow Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I also had this intermittent problem with the remote, I have the BT Vision box in my bedroom, and I recently changed my TV as I got a new TV for the living room so move my 40" Samsung into the bedroom.

The remote is almost non-existant in it's operation. I called BT they even went thru a full system reset of the box and then agreed to send me a new remote. Arrived this morning and it doesn't work either.

Something the guy from BT said and I just tested this, took the BT vision box to the side, unplugged the Scart and HDMI cable and the remote works everytime, well the blue light comes on the BT Vision box to signify it's receiving the signal which is wasn't doing before.

The guy from BT asked me if I had a Samsung TV as there is a known problem with Samsung, I told him I have had it for over 2 years, but only when I came off the phone I realised that I had recently move it in with the BT Vision box. It was a Sharp LCD before the Samsung.

How many on here have Samsung TV's and their remote doesn't work?

I can't for the life of me fathom how as soon as I plug the SCART lead in from the TV the remote signal stops being received by the BT Vision box....
  8. scribbler101

scribbler101 Member

Ratings:
    +118
    SCART carries various control commands as well as a TV signal. Summat conflicting with summat.

Wiki has a good article on SCART.
  9. davenash

davenash Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just a tip fella - I had the same prob with my BTVision remote. Try operating your remote on the V Box with the TV turned off. If the blue light on the vbox flashes the remote is fine. I discovered that my Samsung had been interfering with the remote and reset the contrast in the setup menu - now all is fine - let me know how you get on.
  10. sparkymarch

sparkymarch Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i have a samsung tv and mine does the same. when the tv is off the bt box will work fine. as soon as i turn on the tv then the bt remote just seems to stop working! WHY?