Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BT Sport with Freesat...

Discussion in 'Freesat Forum' started by al_yrpal, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. al_yrpal

al_yrpal Member

Ratings:
    +7
    It's very simple to get this service. Apparently if you have a BT Home hub (according to the Guardian) you can watch it on your PC without paying anything extra. If that is true, you can then plug in a laptop or tablet into an HDMI cable into your TV and watch it on the TV. My Panasonic box of tricks doesn't support ITV player 4OD etc or Netflix but I can get them all on my tablet. It's simple to plug the tablet into the TV and watch them full screen via WiFi to the tablet. So, its not via Freesat because the service is delivered over the web anyway, but you can get it without paying £5 a month at the cost of a £12 cable. There is also a free app to turn your smartphone into a remote control for the tablet via Bluetooth. So, no need to leave the sofa!
  2. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,487
    As "it's not via Freesat" why have you posted it in this forum?:confused:
  3. al_yrpal

al_yrpal Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Because there was another thread that asked this question and that thread was stopped without the OP getting an answer. So I have posted this thread so that that person gets an answer instead of a perfectly legitimate discussion being curtailed. My answer describes how someone with Freesat and BT broadband can take advantage of BT Sport on their TV at minimal cost.

One thing I should add is that if you intend to stream BT Sport as I have described you should ensure that you have a BT Broadband account that has a sufficient broadband allowance to cover it. Mine has 40 GB per month which I think is enough.

Freesat customers are generally quite abstemious and I think that my answer will enable those with BT Broadband to enjoy the service they are entitled ( BT Sport is advertised as free) at no extra expense other than the cost of a cable.
    Last edited: May 11, 2013
  4. MPD1

MPD1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Putting the 2 together I think you'll find most Freesat users will get a HDMI cable for less than £3 from a popular auction site.

Hoping this doesn't turn into a discussion over cheap HDMI cables ;)
  5. al_yrpal

al_yrpal Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Ah! But the cable I have for my tablet isn't just an ordinary HDMI cable,its mini USB to HDMI and it has another cable grafted into it that connects to the charger for the tablet, and it did cost £12 from EBay. Hope that clarifies things.
  6. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,487
    What your post actually said was: "it's not via Freesat".
    If there's a difference between "with" and "via" let us know what that difference is.
  7. al_yrpal

al_yrpal Member

Ratings:
    +7
    What I said applies to anyone with a TV and a tablet or portable PC and BT broadband. In fact its not Freesat specific. How I came to say it was because I was seeking an answer myself and came across the closed down thread. I subsequently did a little on line research , found the answer and posted it for the benefit of other Freesat users seeking an answer to the same question. Freesat doesn't help at all, but some people like myself might think it does.
  8. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,487
    OK - this thread is open, and there's another in Sky - neither is OT - but never mind - let all post where they will!
  9. al_yrpal

al_yrpal Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for intelligent moderating!
  10. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,487
  11. al_yrpal

al_yrpal Member

Ratings:
    +7
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Faust

Faust Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Or there again I could just mirror from my iPad to my Apple TV and voila it's now on my 42" Plasma. I prefer the cable free option. :D Non of that is via Freesat BTW.
    Last edited: May 11, 2013
  13. jurgen69

jurgen69 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    So, are we saying that if you are a Sky freesat customer you will be unable to take advantage of the BT sports channels using a Sky box?
  14. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,099
    No if you have a genuine FreesatFromSky card registered to the same address as BT broadband then you are eligible for the "free" offer. Unless cancelled recently cancelled subscription cards are NOT eligible.
  15. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,487
    No, because there aren't any Sky freesat customers - FreesatFromSky is not the same thing.
    You can be a customer of Sky by paying them for their services, but you can't be a customer of Freesat which provides only free services.
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
  16. jurgen69

jurgen69 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Ok, I'm confused, I have a Freesat veiwing card from Sky which is paired with a Sky decoder abd active. I also have BT Infinity 2, will I be able to receive the new sports channels via my sat box?
  17. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,487
    This isn't being pedantic - you don't have a Freesat card, because Freesat is free and doesn't use cards.
    If you paid £25 to Sky for the card it's a FreeSatFromSky card, and BT will use that for their new service.
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
  18. jurgen69

jurgen69 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Logi
  19. pdoherty76

pdoherty76 Member

Ratings:
    +65
    Just to make a slightly pedantic point.

If you have BT broadband then you are eligible for the free offer. What I mean is: you can watch the games online, regardless of the state of your sky card. If you order a new sky card then I assume you can watch online in the meantime.

In short, no sky box or card is strictly necessary to watch the channels.

Not sure why you put "free" in quotes. For anyone who already has BB with BT the channels really are free. In SD anyway.
  20. Monster900

Monster900 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Well, my subscription card, which was cancelled three years ago, appears to have worked in that I successfully registered it for BT Sport, online. Registration also seemed to "wake up" the card, which seemed to be in some dormant state, so it is now a fully functioning FSFS card.

I guess I will only know for sure on 1st August.
    Last edited: May 21, 2013
  21. pdoherty76

pdoherty76 Member

Ratings:
    +65
    Will people with a non-sub sky box be able to record these channels?
  22. Monster900

Monster900 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    No. Not unless they pay Sky £10 / month.
  23. pdoherty76

pdoherty76 Member

Ratings:
    +65
    I don't understand why recording can't just be activated for single channels if people are paying someone else a lot of money for a premium channel that is being independently retailed.

There is no other alternative. If no other sat box can decode these channels then yet again sky are abusing their platform monopoly.
  24. pdoherty76

pdoherty76 Member

Ratings:
    +65
    I wonder if BT could have a freesat app on freetime boxes and then use it to stream BT sports to the freetime boxes.

They would be able to detect if the box was connected to BT broadband and whose account it was, so there would be no need for any kind of decryption.
  25. Monster900

Monster900 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    It would be no good to me, with my broadband speed, out here in the sticks.
  26. pdoherty76

pdoherty76 Member

Ratings:
    +65
    Maybe not. But my question is, would it work for the majority of freesat users with a reasonable speed?

Couldn't they broadcast a stream that was decoded by the app once you were connected to BT broadband?

For people like yourself, there is an obvious workaround though. You simply buy a 2nd hand sky box on ebay. It isn't ideal but for 3 free premium sport channels it is definitely worth doing.
  27. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,487
    Some others probably can, though maybe not for much longer.
  28. davemurgatroyd2

Ratings:
    +1,099
    Because BT are being tightwads and not paying for that facility. They are paying Sky for an EPG slot and they are paying NDS for encryption. By not allowing Sky to retail the channels they deprive their subscribers of the automatic Sky+ facilities as well as its automatic inclusion on multiroom boxes. Sky+ cannot be activated for single channels without activating it for all FTA and FTV channels as well.

BT have chosen the platform - there is absolutely nothing to stop them arranging their own encryption with another company and arranging their own card supply and distribution service for use in generic boxes. BT abusing its own monopoly of retail supply of the channels???
    Last edited: May 22, 2013
  29. pdoherty76

pdoherty76 Member

Ratings:
    +65
    I think you may need to look up the definition of monopoly.

Retailing the channels itself is nothing new or unusual. It is how setanta worked and how film4 used to work and premier sports also does that now.

Why on earth would BT want to wholesale the channels to sky? It isn't about being tightwads, it isabout gaining and keeping broadband custom. Wholesaling the channels to sky would defeat the entire point of having them. Sky refuse to wholesale their channels at a reasonable price to BT.

Sky have never allowed anyone but subscribers to record. I can think of no other platform that prevents you recording on a box you purchase from them, so it is sky that behave out of the ordinary on this.
    Last edited: May 22, 2013
  30. davemurgatroyd2

Ratings:
    +1,099
    Yet Sky are forced to allow BT to retail their channels - should this not also apply the other way round?
    Tivo were the first to introduce a subscription to allow recording. If Sky were to allow subscription free recording it would cost them many millions in back duty on all the PVRs they have ever supplied. This is down to there being a vasy difference in the duty payable on receivers and that on PVRs imported to the EU. Sky have successfully argued in court that their Sky+ and Sky+ HD boxes are imported and sold as receivers and the PVR facilities are a service applied to those receivers. (Other importers get round this by either fitting HDDs after import or letting customers fit them.) If Sky allowed sub free recording they would then be liable on all the millions of Sky+ boxes imported since this duty came into force. So sub free recording is highly unlikely to ever happen unless this duty scale is changed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.