1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BT Infinity

Discussion in 'BT' started by celtic1967, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. celtic1967

celtic1967 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Has anyone got it yet ? If so,what do you think so far ? Thanks.
  2. rexel1

rexel1 Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Not yet, having it installed on Tuesday morning. I'll update here when it's up and running :thumbsup: (or should I say downloading)
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. x liddy x

x liddy x Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I'm really interested to see what it's like, it's between this and Virgin 50Mb.
    earlier in the month it said on BT's site that Infinity would be in my area by 22nd of feburary, then they changed that to Coming Soon. Now if I use the option saying I've got a BT line, it only says I can get 0.5Mb total broadband and no infinity any more. But if I say I'm not with BT, it says I can get 3.5Mb total broadband and 24.1Mb down, 10.0 up on infinity Coming Soon.
  4. rexel1

rexel1 Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Got the new hub delivered today via Royal Mail

Just got to wait until Tuesday now :(
  5. smjxm09

smjxm09 Member

Ratings:
    +89
    Saw it in action today. The Openreach modem which was connected to a BT business fibre hub felt very warm. The guy was saying that he downloaded a 90 meg file in around 30 seconds.
  6. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,196
    That's only 24Mb/s.
  7. celtic1967

celtic1967 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    The checker says that my max will be 17,7 Meg on infinity, BT will say up to 40 Meg, thats the get out statement.
  8. rexel1

rexel1 Member

Ratings:
    +48
    They will only say 17.5 meg as the download speed as that is the minimum that BT must guarantee to sell this as a 40 meg service. I'm quite near my exchange and the green cabinets (got to over the road from me) so I'm fairly sure I will be getting near the 40 meg download speed.

Hopefully anyway :)
  9. celtic1967

celtic1967 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    If you are near your exchange, do you get reasonable speeds now ?
    I'm over 3 miles and get 1,5 if I'm lucky. 17,7 would be great.
    But the BT checker is all over the place, one day infinity is available now, the next its coming soon.
  10. rexel1

rexel1 Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Yes, I get the full 8 meg allowable on my line when downloading.
  11. rexel1

rexel1 Member

Ratings:
    +48
    All installed and up and running :thumbsup:

BT guy was really nice, was here for about 1 1/2 hours, needed to do some minor works where the line comes into the house.

He tried the line and said it will allow almost the full 40meg speed when downloading and showing 15meg upload speed.
    He also mentioned that the line will take a few days to fully stabilise.

Tried downloading some files earlier and was getting 35meg speeds. Really pleased with the service so far. We'd had a minor fault on the BT line last week, which he has also resolved :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. beerhunter

beerhunter Member

Ratings:
    +759
    What are you paying for it? (If you don't mind answering.)
  13. rexel1

rexel1 Member

Ratings:
    +48
    24.99 a month, that's for unlimited downloads (fair use applies)
  14. smjxm09

smjxm09 Member

Ratings:
    +89
    Which is the same price as ADSL Option 3
  15. maniac886

maniac886 Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Infinity is now available to order in my area, very interested in switching however I don't think BT will be any good due to their FUP. I download around 150GB a month so I reckon I will get throttled as their limit is 100gb on the unlimited package.Hmmm
  16. rexel1

rexel1 Member

Ratings:
    +48
    I suppose it must depend on when you download. I was on the unlimited option 3 8 meg before and a couple of times downloaded over 1TB in a month. They restricted me between 6pm and midnight, but the rest of the day I could download at 8meg
  17. jinkyjim

jinkyjim Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I would like to order infinity, but the bt checker says coming soon in my area, anyone know how long it takes after (coming soon)

thanks
    Jim
  18. maniac886

maniac886 Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I called the Infinity sales team and they told me the throttling can begin from 50 Meg....which is useless to me!

Going to keep an eye out for other providers. AAISP are rolling this out at the moment but they are very expensive for peak usage. I am sure other companies will rollout their own services soon.
  19. Rich420uk

Rich420uk Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Have had Infinity installed today. On the Luton exchange 1.2km from cabinet getting 36.8 down, 7.5 up. BT checker says 15.7 down 5.5 up.
  20. x liddy x

x liddy x Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Hey, just wondering how it is, I've been a BT broadband customer for a good 7-9 years, not too sure. But Considering migrating to Sky as they apparently offer better speeds in my area, currently getting 2.9Mbps.

My exchange was upgraded with FTTC, but still can't seem to get BT Infinity.
    Infact when I type my phone number in to check it, they can't seem to find any details on my number.

I really want to hold out for this Infinity, but for all I know I could be waiting until the end of this year.
  21. beerhunter

beerhunter Member

Ratings:
    +759
    Rather than start a new thread, wouldn't reading and posting to the existing one be better?
  22. smjxm09

smjxm09 Member

Ratings:
    +89
    What $ky claim you will get and what you will get in reality could be quite different. Your broadband speed is restricted due to the distance you are from the exchange. If you migrate to $ky you will still be the same distance from the same exchange as Sky will be using the same cable.

Do you know where your green street cabinet is that feeds your house? There should be an additional cabinet within a few metres of it that looks new and has a small yellow triangle sticker on the side warning of live voltage inside the cabinet. If you have one of these cabinets you will not be waiting long.
  23. smjxm09

smjxm09 Member

Ratings:
    +89
    That's good news. I also live in Luton but my cabinet has yet to go live despite it being installed in the first week of January.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  24. beerhunter

beerhunter Member

Ratings:
    +759
    Sky can often offer faster speeds than IPStream based ISPs due to their use of ADSL2+. Having said that, they will soon lose that advantage as BTW's WBC is rolled out.
  25. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,473
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  26. smjxm09

smjxm09 Member

Ratings:
    +89
    The link does not tell the whole story. My town (Luton) has gone live and my fibre cabinet is sitting at the top of my road and is powered up but there is no mention of FTTC when I do a phone number check. No idea why it hasn't gone live yet but it can't be long.
  27. celtic1967

celtic1967 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    It is frustrating I know ( I'm in Leagrave) and have the same. As soon as BT go live with it I'm hoping to get on my ISPs trial of fibre optic (sky)
  28. Zed_X

Zed_X Member

Ratings:
    +10
    1. They just installed an FTTC cab in my street right next to the existing green cabinet. As I understand it speeds on FTTC will be dictated by the distance from your home to the FTTC cab, not the exchange. Also read that even if your exchange is listed as FTTC enabled, it doesn't necessarily mean that your street / home will be. There is a limited capacity.

2. A quick read of BT's fair use policy regarding downloads on FTTC's unlimited service doesn't actually tell you anything, if BT actually gave a maximum download figure per month then they couldn't advertise their service as unlimited. As things stand BT can cut download speeds on FTTC's "unlimited service" whenever they like, nothing new there, it's the universal get-out clause for many ISP's. I also see that the minimum contract term has crept up to 18 months.

Think I'll wait until other ISP's jump on the FTTC bandwagon, maybe one of them will offer a truely unlimited service, I know that both Sky and O2 will be offering FTTC at some stage.

here's an alternative unofficial FTTC exchange checker: http://www.buckconsult.co.uk/fttx/

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  29. beerhunter

beerhunter Member

Ratings:
    +759
    Existing customers only need renew for 12 months when they switch however.
  30. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte Member

Ratings:
    +671
    Looks like my exchange (Kenton Road) isn't due to go fibre for a while......I'm assuming due to the high cable/sky customer base in the area. Shame as I'm not only just up the road from the exchange, but there is also a BT cabinet nearby so I should get the fullest fat speed available :(
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.