Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BT Infinity - Part II

Discussion in 'BT' started by Iccz, Oct 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DIYlady

DIYlady Member

Ratings:
    +174
    Hi Eden188
    I have a maximum of 2.2mb and in practice it's more like 1.4 and that's on the day's when it works. I'm really envious of your 8.2mb.:D

It is the total lack of open communication that gets me. Wouldn't it be nice if they published colour coded road maps saying who would get what and when.
  2. eden188

eden188 Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Oh! Sorry, I'm not on 8.2mb, just saying that's the best they can provide me via fibre atm. I'm not going to pay the full price until they can get me above 20mb :). I think because I live in an area of mostly elderly people, so there may be a less demand for high speed internet, hence they are slow to have my local cabinet upto speed.

That's a good idea to have colour coded road maps, so people get a rough idea of at least when they will have the fibre technology.
  3. DIYlady

DIYlady Member

Ratings:
    +174
    Ooops, sorry misunderstood :blush:
    Can you get ADSL+2 - our isp reckoned this would be 8meg speeds and prob cheaper than the bt option. Worth shopping around maybe.
    Don't think I'd go with bt even if they did get round to improving our connections, would just make use of the improvements through another isp.
  4. eden188

eden188 Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Yes, already on ADSL+2 and only 3.2mb :(.

Probably one of the top criteria to look for broadband connection speed when we decide to move :D.
  5. DIYlady

DIYlady Member

Ratings:
    +174
    Yes, but does this mean that our homes could be worth less because the internet connection is poor?:(

I really could shoot BT Open Reach if only I had a gun (i think we've got a pop-gun somewhere, but that is not really going to have the impact I have in mind :rolleyes:)
  6. DSLee

DSLee Member

Ratings:
    +158
    4:50 and no sign of an engineer....... Been phone and internet less since 10 this morning.

Am I allowed to get twitchy!.......
  7. eden188

eden188 Member

Ratings:
    +86
    [​IMG]

DIYLady & LEEIOM....courtesy of Google :D:D
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2011
  8. DSLee

DSLee Member

Ratings:
    +158
    ......still nothing.......
  9. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    You're having Infinity installed yes?

When my install was booked a couple of weeks ago, I was offered a visit between 8am & 1pm or 1pm & 6pm ( I went for the earlier option).

All I'm trying to say is there's still time!
  10. DIYlady

DIYlady Member

Ratings:
    +174
    eden188 - Thanks for making me laugh.
    Good to release tension
  11. j4ck100

j4ck100 Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Has anyone else noticed D/L speeds plummet around 6 months after install? Was getting 35/40mb at the beginning, now I'm lucky to see 20! Tried calling the call-centre, but they just tell me to either reboot my pc or reboot my router, neither of which help at all!!!

Thanks
  12. DSLee

DSLee Member

Ratings:
    +158
    Well no one bothered to a. Turn up b. Call to say they were no going to turn up.... Customer unsupport say there is an Exchange problem....

Has anyone been cancelled on, and if so what's the revisit time like. I've no more time off to take...
  13. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    Our Infinity has just gone down.

Recorded message says "we are aware of a fault in your area and expect to resolve it in approx 2 hours".

Great start... :thumbsdow
  14. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    And it's back up! :eek: :thumbsup:
  15. DSLee

DSLee Member

Ratings:
    +158
    Turns out they were delayed in changing my phone line back to BT, managed to complain enough to get an engineer out, and they never connected my up in the local cabinet, and something has broke in the exchange.........

I have no idea when ill get my internet on, I had an email rescheduling me for 31st October!!!
    I don't think so.....
  16. Foster

Foster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,187
    Wow that is pretty bad my install was quick and painless :p and was set up in 5 minutes

(because we already had the wall socket thing already)
  17. NewfieDrool

NewfieDrool Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +1,230
    Still waiting for infinity after 2 months of failed visits and to cap it all BT have just over charged me £183 on my latest bill even though for the last 3 months I have continually been telling them they are charging me for all calls on the anytime package.
    I even went on their forum and had help from a mod but they still made the mistake.
    Im so glad I don't run my business like they do!

For those who have changed over to infinity its worth checking online your BT account to insure charges are correct.

Now I wait to see if they pull the money out of my bank. I do hope they get it correct or after all the hassle I will be sending all my documents to Watchdog to show them what happens when it all goes belly up.
  18. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    Dude, send an email to Ian Livingstone (BT CEO).

I had huge dramas initially just trying to get Infinity, emailed him and everything was sorted professionally and efficiently (he replied to my email * 2 MINUTES* after I sent it, apologising and cc'd in an Infinity big cheese to get it sorted) :eek:

I also emailed him post install to thank him and the people that were involved getting me sorted. :smashin:

ian.livingston@bt.com
  19. NewfieDrool

NewfieDrool Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +1,230
    Thanks for the address. I will write a polite email to him explaining my problems and will let you know what happens.

Thanks again for your help.
  20. DSLee

DSLee Member

Ratings:
    +158
    The phone line has been sorted out this morning good news..

so i have called BT to try and get a better appointment than the 31st october, and i have now been told that Infinity is not available in my area until the 17th November and my order has been cancelled.

To say I am angry is an understatement, so BT have transferred my line over to them and left me high and dry without an internet connection.....

I think i might try emailing Ian Livingston to see if i can get something sorted out, i was happy paying a tenner to sky for my internet access, and i am more of less being forced to stay with BT now.
  21. DSLee

DSLee Member

Ratings:
    +158
    I'm still internetless after countless and hours of calls.

Got a reply from Ian Livinston who's passed it to the executive complaints department, but nothing has really moved on and nothing has changed.

I'm now stuck with standard BT internet at the mo free for 2 months as by the the cabinet where i live (Luton) should be active.

Does anyone have any experience with the estimated dates, and how accurate are they?
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  22. eden188

eden188 Member

Ratings:
    +86
    LEEIOM, so are you without internet access now? Try to state that you're a homeworker, and without internet connection, they should compensate 1 way or the other. Can they not fit in a normal ADSL line as a temporary solution until they can be sure of an installation date?

I rang BT last week to confirm whether the 8.2Mb is the best I can get from the fibre, but they were more interested in trying to sign me up rather than to help. I think I'll stick with Sky for much longer, I just don't fancy been messed around by BT.
  23. DSLee

DSLee Member

Ratings:
    +158
    Totally without internet since they disconnected me last Friday.

I've tried countless times to sort it out, and the guy at executive complaints....(?) is supposed to be expediting it, but he's off for the rest of the week from tomorrow!

They are giving me two months free access whilst Infinity is being sorted in my area, but i'm not holding out hope.

I would have stuck with SKY for the time being if i had of known this was going to happen, but going back to SKY now will just tie me back into another contract..
  24. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    I don't think the "homeworker" line will work.

If you use and rely on your BB connection at home for work/business, then you should really have a business BB service with guaranteed fix times etc.

However, it sounds like BT have really dropped the ball here, so have you heard from the guy that Ian Livingstone referred to in his reply to you?

[Edit] - just noticed that the exec guy is off from tomorrow.

I would email Ian L again and ask him (politely!) *** is going on.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  25. Singh400

Singh400 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,416
    Hope everyone has seen this this. Not happy!
  26. eden188

eden188 Member

Ratings:
    +86
    I'm just suggesting 'a lie' to push the urgency for LEEIOM to get some sort of connection as soon as possible. Regardless whether he had a business BB service or not, the fact is that BT has cut his internet access now and left him high and dry, so the lie is basically to urge BT to act upon it as soon as possible without causing LEEIOM financial lost.

But yeah, get hold of Mr Livingstone, ask him to get another responsible person who is NOT going on holiday to deal with it. While you're at it, can you suggest he sort out my cabinet as well please :D

It's not LEEIOM's fault if they decide to have a holiday, it's BT's responsibilities.
  27. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    I'm completely with you Eden (sorry if it didn't come across that way).
  28. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    My Infinity bill will go up by 80p and I won't be affected by the line rental increase as I went for the "pay £120 up front for a year's line rental" deal.

How much for you?
  29. eden188

eden188 Member

Ratings:
    +86
    It's OK Azzin, wasn't having a go at you :). :thumbsup:
  30. eden188

eden188 Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Looks like I'm staying with Sky even longer now, not exactly a bad thing. Sorry to side track a bit, anyone heard if Sky is going fibre soon?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.