1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bt homehub and blocking devices help

Discussion in 'BT' started by iamkobrakai, Nov 12, 2009.

1. iamkobrakai

iamkobrakai Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

I have an xbox 360 connected to my bt home hub 1.5 through a lan connection and I need to know how to block it from accessing the internet (without simply pulling out the lan cable). I've been searching google and yahoo answers and everything else for the past 3 hours and haven't found anything, any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. beerhunter

beerhunter Member

Ratings:
    +759
    I can't think of a way either.
  3. iamkobrakai

iamkobrakai Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The only way that I think may work, is by setting up a custom firewall, and then adding a firewall rule that blocks the xbox ip address, I've set this up, but it hasn't seemed to work, it could just be because I've entered the wrong details, or it isn't possible to do it this way, any ideas?
  4. eternaldark

eternaldark Member

Ratings:
    +64
    pulling the lan cable would be the most simplest option
  5. ajay16

ajay16 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Have you gone into the routers config?

I have a home hub 2.0 and there is a setting in the router config to block certain devices between certain hours.

I can tell you how to do it but im not sure if this feature is on the 1.5 HH (wether the software has been updated on yours or not), and i dont have mine to hand anymore.
  6. beerhunter

beerhunter Member

Ratings:
    +759
    You are absolutely correct as far as HH 2.0 is concerned. If you go to the Help pages, its under Access Control.
  7. iamkobrakai

iamkobrakai Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your replies guys, the 1.5 version doesn't have the ability to block certain devices like the 2.0 version does.

The only option to block anything is through setting up a custom firewall setting, and adding an exception to block the ip address of a device. I've tried this but it hasn't seemed to work, so I'm not sure if i have done it correctly, does anyone have any experience with this?
  8. eddyr

eddyr Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Excuse me for asking, but why exactly would you want to do this? If the Xbox is not able to access the internet it's only use for the Ethernet is for media streaming/extender uses, is this what you want it to be restricted to?

Indeed the HH2 allows device blocking from the internet, I've previously only had a HH1 which didn't have the facility- if custom firewall settings aren't working, the only other nil-cost idea I have would be to disable DHCP and set up manual IP addressing. It would mean manually configuring all your machines on your home network (if these don't change often, then not a massive hardship), and just leave the gateway IP on the Xbox blank.
    Of course if it's clever people you're trying to restrict from taking the Xbox online- they might suss it, non techies probably wouldn't work it out though.