Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BT Broadband Email - Secondary / Primary Account Crossover

Discussion in 'BT' started by Markee, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Markee

Markee Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Hi

Every now and again my BT email throws a bit of a wobbly.

I have two email accounts setup, my main personal account and a secondary account I use for organisation of my local marathon.

Read emails in my secondary account from up to a month back occasionally appear in my primary account as unread. I get around 70 unread emails on my iPhone (setup for IMAP on both accounts) in my primary account from my secondary account email addess when this happens.

My primary and secondary accounts have completley different email addresses, apart from the @btinternet.com bit, so how can this happen?

Has anyone else had this problem?

EDIT: PS, this only happens one way - primary emails going into my secondary account, not the other way around.
  2. maf1970

maf1970 Active Member

Ratings:
    +255
    I am assuming that the primary address is the one associated with your BT Broadband. Is the secondary account a completely seperately registered account or was it created as a sub account or disposable address under the primary one ?

Do you use multiple devices to access e-mail ? e.g. smartphone,laptop,desktop
    Out of interest I have included a link so you can get the just of how IMAP works.
    IMAP vs. POP3 E-mail Accounts Comparison - Upperhost.com
  3. Markee

Markee Member

Ratings:
    +55
    The secondary account is a sub-account on the same broadband account as the primary. It's not a 'disposable' one, just a sub-account.

Er yes :blush:, iPhone, iPad, Android Honeycomb tablet, two iMacs (one belongs to my missus).....

Thanks for the link, I'll have a read. A preferred IMAP as I read it is more robust than POP for using on multiple devices as it is a more synchronised service.
  4. Markee

Markee Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Can anyone throw any light on why this might be happening?

I don't believe it's a device issue as the emails from the secondary account appear in the primary account BT Yahoo web interface.
  5. maf1970

maf1970 Active Member

Ratings:
    +255
    I think it has to do with the fact that it is a sub account of the primary address. The disposable addresses do the same. They all appear in my primary account. I can spot them though as I have my fields set up to show the 'TO:' field.
  6. Markee

Markee Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Thanks Mike, but surely this shouldn't happen?

What if you have a scenario where the account holder has the primary email address, and another family member (Wife / Husband / Son / Daughter) have secondary addresses - that wouldn't be right, surely?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting what you are saying, but I think it's more of a bug than a "feature".
  7. maf1970

maf1970 Active Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Right, sorry for being so long but I have been doing some testing on my own BT account.
    I can now say for certain that you have a problem with your setup. I created a sub account in my one and it operated wholly seperate of the primary address. Would suggest that you now contact BT with your problem as I doubt we can do anything to help you.(If you want to you could make sure you have all the emails first then delete the sub-account and recreate it.This might solve the problem)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Markee

Markee Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for taking the trouble to look into this for me, I know these things can eat into your time.

I will post the issue over on the BT Help forums, they have BT techies who can assist.

As for deleting the sub-account, this is not an option, and as a warning to others trying this, once you do this, the email address you delete will NOT be available to you to use again!

Once you have deleted an email address account, BT lock that email address so it can't be used again. Found this out from experience.