Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BT are driving me NUTS

Discussion in 'BT' started by highlander_777, Feb 24, 2012.

1. highlander_777

highlander_777 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

For the longest time, I have had 4MB .

30 days ago , my neighbour mentioned that he was getting 1MB with BT. The engineer did stuff and he got 5MB. The very next day, my line went down to 1MB!. I have had 4 engineers out. The last one checked my wiring , and fixed it. The line has now gone up to 2MB

I am paying for option 3 but to be honest, BT must be laughing.

I am tempted to move phone and broadband.

Should I wait for BT to fix it , although I have had 4 engineers out and nothing has changed

I would welcome any wise words as everytime I call BT , they drive me insane and I am sick and tired of hearing ,' we are very sorry'

stop saying sorry, fu&&&&& fix my broadband
  2. marcaaron22

marcaaron22 Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Same here, you ain't the only one mate
  3. Amran

Amran Member

Ratings:
    +40
    try contacting bt forum moderator on bt care community forum. They are based in uk and reply back within 72 hour and help you until your problem solved. Also if they think you need engineer to visit your home then they will book it for you.

here the link to contact them. (you need to be registered user to contact them)
    BT.com Help

here the link to the forum:
    BTCare Community Forums - BTCare Community Forums
  4. Minkey1

Minkey1 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Or email their CEO ian.livingston@bt.com

Thats what I did when after weeks of trying to get a line in I was still getting the run around from India.

He or somebody using his name responded immediately and within the hour I got action from within the UK. The line was installed the following week and I got £30 compo for the aggravation.
  5. wormvortex

wormvortex Active Member

Ratings:
    +270
    probably stole your pair lol to give your neigbour better service. Not supposed to but it happens.
  6. Marv

Marv Member

Ratings:
    +149
    dont bother with cs india there crap stick to the bt forums they fixed mine.
  7. Fmrl

Fmrl Active Member

Ratings:
    +414
    I was thinking of starting a new thread about this but your experience is so similar to mine. I've had Orange LLU (now BT WBC) for about 4 years now. It's been a reasonably stable 4mbps up until just over a month ago. This coincides with a company up the road from me moving offices and having some new phone and data lines installed (but BT insist that this has nothing to do with my problems).

My line speed never gets above 1mbps, most of the time I only get around 0.5mbps, the link drops at least 4 times a day, the noise margin is all over the place, and the throughput is really spikey. I've had a few dropped phone calls too so it's not just the broadband that's affected.

I've had 6 Openreach engineer visits so far - they've done a lot of headscratching and fiddling with their little machines. So far they've replaced the NTE5, fitted a new faceplate, added a new shielding box, moved my line onto a new cabling at the cabinet, "lifted and shifted" the circuit at the exchange, etc. It's made no difference though so I'm planning on switching to Virgin cable as soon as possible (they need to dig up the road so it's taking some time to get this sorted).

The latest suggestion from Openreach is that it's a "REIN issue" and therefore out of their control.
  8. highlander_777

highlander_777 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Update

so , I emailed the CEO as someone suggested. Got a reply. Some guy from the newcastle centre called said he would send out another engineer

so engineer turned up on Sat and it was the same one who cam out last week. Basically, he said. If it was your phone line that was faulty, BT would do stuff. As it's broadband, then BT will only do something if it does not work. The fact that I have crap is not their concern

Like you, lots of head scratching and plugging in devices and a trip to the cabinet. Bottom line, no change

I really wish Virgin would put cable in my street.
  9. Fmrl

Fmrl Active Member

Ratings:
    +414
    I had another Openreach visit today. In his opinion it's a REIN issue and therefore not something they can fix. He said he would phone the people who investigate these types of problems but he wasn't sure what they would do about it ... so he left.
  10. highlander_777

highlander_777 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Rein issue

what a load of crap. It is soo easy to blame someone else!

it's a bit like , the wrong leaves on the railway line
  11. Fmrl

Fmrl Active Member

Ratings:
    +414
    Wow, I've just had a surprise visit from an Openreach "REIN expert" - he had a little box of tricks with him and he said he'd been up and down my road a few times pinpointing exactly where the interference was coming from. It appears the problem was being caused by a CCTV system mounted on a house near "the DP" (the last telegraph pole on the road before the phone lines go underground) - he asked the owners if they would switch their system off and now my broadband has suddenly shot up to 2mbps!!

He said it might take a couple of days for DLM to re-adjust the line back up to normal levels (fingers crossed around 4mbps). While I've been having all these disconnects and speed problems the router was reporting a noise margin of 6db or less overnight (sometimes dropping to zero which knocks out the broadband completely) but it's currently reporting 14db and stable.

I'm still planning on moving to virgin cable anyway... just in case my neighbours decide to switch their cameras back on!
  12. Fmrl

Fmrl Active Member

Ratings:
    +414
    One tip given to me by one of the Openreach engineers (if a REIN problem is suspected) - tune an AM radio to 612khz. I had my car radio tuned to this frequency earlier and there was definitely a lot of interference coming from the area around the big telegraph pole at the end of my road but I couldn't work out exactly where it was coming from.

Some more information about REIN...

::. Kitz - REIN .::
  13. Fmrl

Fmrl Active Member

Ratings:
    +414
    Speedtest result from the 4th of Feb...
    [​IMG]
    Speedtest result now...
    [​IMG]
  14. Foster

Foster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,183
    Back to normal speed then fmrl?
  15. Fmrl

Fmrl Active Member

Ratings:
    +414
    Not yet :( ... I'm hoping the line speed will gradually increase over the next few days.
  16. Fmrl

Fmrl Active Member

Ratings:
    +414
    The speed didn't increase. :(

The adsl signal disappeared altogether yesterday afternoon and still hasn't come back so I've got another morning of listening to on-hold musak to look forward to. :(