Bryston Owners Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vipers

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As I'll be making my first steps down the Bryston path shortly with a 4B SST2 I thought it would be a good idea to start a Bryston Owners Thread as at the moment I seem to be doing most of my Bryston posting in the Arcam thread, not really fair on Arcam.

Hopefully getting the 4B will be my first steps down a 100% Bryston setup, at the moment I'm trying to decide, after a home demo with the BCD-1 which blew me away :- http://www.avforums.com/forums/arcam-owners-forum/1197542-arcam-cd37-v-bryston-bcd-1-a.html whether to go with the BCD-1, use my CD37 as a transport into the BDA-1 dac, or go the whole hog with BCD-1 into the BDA-1, I'll hopefully get some answers tomorrow at the Bristol HiFi show :confused:

More exciting news though which I've just been made aware of by a fellow forum member is the Bryston HD processor, the SP3, it may well be out of my budget but its definately got my mouth watering in anticipation :rolleyes:

If anyone has got any pics of their Bryston setups I'd love to see them :thumbsup:

Vipers,

I've still not heard my OB1's through a 4B but scared to as I know I will want one. I still get confused at Brystons Amp range, looked at their web site a few times, not sure what multi channel power amps they do and what the RRP is on their amps?

:eek: I have just told my dealer to order me a BP26DA.
Damn all this talk about Bryston on this forum.
My thinking is that if I get the preamp with the DAC I can use my CD37 as a transport and get the performance benifit of the same DAC as the BCD-1 and get an oustanding preamp to start me on the road to a full Bryston system.
In the interim I will be able to use my existing A38 as a power amp along with my P38 until I get hold of a Bryston power amp ( or two ).
As always with my dealer I pay a deposit then get an extended home demo before I have to pay the balance.
Doesn't take much to set off my upgradeitis :rolleyes:
Congrats Davieboy00, definately a sensible upgrade, I've listened to the BP16 and that is very impressive so I know you won't be disapointed with the BP26, can't wait to see how you get on with it, personally I'm really excited about the Bryston HD processor, I'll be asking some questions tomorrow at Bristol, hopefully get a rough timeline :)
I wonder if the BP26 is actually a good move. The problem I have with this preamp is that it's not software controlled. That is you can't switch between sources with the remote and there's no HT bypass. This makes it unsuitable to integrate with a home theater system. It just not versatile enough for me. Shame. Whereas the BP16 is software controlled and has home theater bypass. If these functions are important to you then the slightly inferior sounding BP16 could be the go.

And this is the last thing I've read about the release dates for the SP 3.0?

I wonder if the BP26 is actually a good move. The problem I have with this preamp is that it's not software controlled. That is you can't switch between sources with the remote and there's no HT bypass. This makes it unsuitable to integrate with a home theater system. It just not versatile enough for me. Shame. Whereas the BP16 is software controlled and has home theater bypass. If these functions are important to you then the slightly inferior sounding BP16 could be the go.

Also is the DAC in the BP26 a good idea? It's lower quality then BDA-1 only has SPDIF inputs ( whereas the BDA-1 has SPDIF co-ax, TOSLINK optical, AES/EBU or USB inputs ) and the DAC add on to the BP26 is almost the same price as the BDA-1.

Vipers,

I've still not heard my OB1's through a 4B but scared to as I know I will want one. I still get confused at Brystons Amp range, looked at their web site a few times, not sure what multi channel power amps they do and what the RRP is on their amps?

I have 7B SST amps running into PB1i s and it sounds great :)

The 6Bsst^2 is the 3 channel and the 9Bsst^2 is the 5 channel. I think in the UK the 4Bsst^2 is a little over GBP4000.

You certainly know you're Bryston stuff RonCH :)

So it sounds like its going to be summertime I guess before the SP3.0 is released as Bryston are weighing up 1.3 v 1.4 HDMI, then I guess it would take even longer to reach these shores.

I guess it gives us all plenty of time to start saving those pennys :rolleyes:

I know where you are coming from but HT is very low on my priorities. 2 channel is here all my money over the last couple of years has gone.
I think you can integrate an external AV amp ( my AVR350 ) connecting to the tape inputs - no fixed gain / HT bypass agreed but I am sure I'll be able to work around somehow.

Also is the DAC in the BP26 a good idea? It's lower quality then BDA-1 only has SPDIF inputs ( whereas the BDA-1 has SPDIF co-ax, TOSLINK optical, AES/EBU or USB inputs ) and the DAC add on to the BP26 is almost the same price as the BDA-1.

Given a choice , the chances are I would use the SPDIF input over Toslink anyway so not an issue for me again.
The list price for the BP26 DAC module is £1300 the DBA-1 list price is £2200 so there is quite a substantial price difference.
I may well end up with the BDA-1 at some time but at the moment with the funds I have available and where I want to take my system it should give me my best bang for my buck.
FWIW I am only using the list prices above for illustartion as I am being offered a very good deal that is way way below list.

I'd forgotten about this little piece, which is worth a read, and is a very good endorsement of the BCD-1, especially considering its relatively moderate price:

Stereophile: A Case of the Jitters

Not that I'm trying to encourage anyone to spend too much money....

Nick

I'm going to speak to Bryston today (At Bristol) and find out a little more on the CD player vs DAC

I was very impressed with the CD player when I listened to it at TLC. I have a long list of DAC's to try but the Bryston is definitely on it.

I know where you are coming from but HT is very low on my priorities. 2 channel is here all my money over the last couple of years has gone.
I think you can integrate an external AV amp ( my AVR350 ) connecting to the tape inputs - no fixed gain / HT bypass agreed but I am sure I'll be able to work around somehow.

Given a choice , the chances are I would use the SPDIF input over Toslink anyway so not an issue for me again.
The list price for the BP26 DAC module is £1300 the DBA-1 list price is £2200 so there is quite a substantial price difference.
I may well end up with the BDA-1 at some time but at the moment with the funds I have available and where I want to take my system it should give me my best bang for my buck.
FWIW I am only using the list prices above for illustartion as I am being offered a very good deal that is way way below list.
I'm surprised by those prices! I've got to be careful not to make statements based upon pricing over here, where the difference much less.

hi Davieboy00

any chance you could share the great deal on pricing,if it is not public, then would you be able to PM me:lease:

thanks
dean

Heard the Bryston BCD-1 at TLC and only one word comes to mind: WOW!!!

For all you BCD/BDA wannabes, Bryston have 2 rooms at the Bristol Show, both of which have the BCD-1 in them. One room the BCD-1 is feeding the BP26 directly and in the other it is feeding the pre through the BDA-1.

2 rooms so hard to compare properly and to be fair I didn't spend that long there, nor did I ask for the BDA-1 to be switched in and out for a comparison since I'm only potentially in the market for the BCD.

Just got back from Bristol and although it is a good show I have to say the Bryston/PMC combo really does take some beating, the only thing that came close in my opinion was the Naim rooms, as they have that lovely smooth musical sound similar to PMC/Bryston, and the Wilson Benesch setup which was awesome but I'd guess extremely expensive.

The one thing that stood out for me today though was how damn good the Facts sounded, extremely detailed with a beautifully clean, tight bass, when I demoed them originally afew weeks ago they really didn't do it for me and I know PMC were going to check them out as they were one of the first builds and it was wondered if they were performing correctly. Today they sounded like a totally different speaker, now that could have also been down to the 4B SST, BCD, BDA and the BP26 helping but they really did sound stunning especially for such a small cabinet.

It was great to come away from Bristol today after listening to most of the main brands thinking that I was heading down the right path and that PMC/Bryston is where I need to end up, until I win the lottery that is and can afford that Wilson Benesch setup :)

Heard the Bryston BCD-1 at TLC and only one word comes to mind: WOW!!!

Its a bit special isn't it Clsmooth391 :)

I asked the PMC/Bryston guys which would be the best way for me to go regarding CD playback and the Bryston DAC but no one really had an answer and it was suggested that a demo is the only way forward to me, so I'll see if I can get that organised and try the 3 different options I mentioned earlier, it does sound though as if the BCD and BDA sound very similar so I'm still thinking along the lines that if I don't need the flexability that the DAC offers at this time I may still go with the BCD and add the DAC at a later date when needed.

I came back confident that the Bryston DAC and Naim DAC need taking home.

I thought on the way home, if they have connected up a Bryston CD player to the DAC there must be a reason ;)

The Bryston/PMC rooms along with the Naim high end rooms were the best IMO too :smashin:

A soon as we receive ours next week it'll be added to our Bryston system and the the KEF 207/2's....mmmmm,can't wait!

certainly sounds good on the 207's but it makes the EB's and IB2's really sing.

I came back confident that the Bryston DAC and Naim DAC need taking home.

I thought on the way home, if they have connected up a Bryston CD player to the DAC there must be a reason ;)

The Bryston/PMC rooms along with the Naim high end rooms were the best IMO too :smashin:

well i guess I know what else to check out when i visit. thanks.:thumbsup:

Hey IWC, good to catch up today :)

I asked Bryston if the BCD was going through the BDA and it was as you said but the only reason being that it made it earier to demo the different sources that were setup as it could all be switched through the BDA, or so they say :rolleyes:

well i guess I know what else to check out when i visit. thanks.:thumbsup:

Jon, just go to the Bryston/PMC rooms and the Naim rooms then spend the rest of the day listening to the Michelle Turntables, very nice :thumbsup:

Just out of interest did you know Michelle Turntables are made down the road from TLC in Borehamwood, I certainly didn't until today, small world :)

hi Davieboy00

any chance you could share the great deal on pricing,if it is not public, then would you be able to PM me:lease:

thanks
dean

No problem telling you the price but can't share the source I'm afraid.
The price I am getting is £4100. List price with the DAC module is £5050 so nearly a grand off list.

hi davieboy

i understand.

thanks

dean

Hey IWC, good to catch up today :)

I asked Bryston if the BCD was going through the BDA and it was as you said but the only reason being that it made it earier to demo the different sources that were setup as it could all be switched through the BDA, or so they say :rolleyes:

I asked the same question, and got the same answer re ease of swapping between sources. I could accept that bearing in mind they had some old skool reel to reel tape thing as a source too.

I was over at TLC today and Tony is going to get the Bryston DAC in for me which should be interesting, but I couldn't resist listening to the BCD-1 again, it really never ceases to amaze me, I listened to a cd I bought yesterday at the Bristol show on the Naim label 'Gwynth Herbert' and it just sounded so smooth and effortless in a way the CD37 can only dream off, I really can see the CD37 heading towards the classifieds sooner rather than later :rolleyes:

I'm going to do afew listening tests tomorrow to see if I can use the A1UD in the short time as my cd player, as previously I preffered the CD37, but maybe I was being a little picky :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom