Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broadband slow - telegraph wires are damaged

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by Bonker2020, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Bonker2020

Bonker2020 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Guys, can anyone help me.

My Broadband speed has always been pretty rubbish since the day I moved into my Bungalow. Its been around 600Kbs, while the neighbours reckon they are getting 3MB

Now, I have a brand new computer, and I have no phone connected to any of the sockets, so I know that isn't the problem.

I have had a look at the where the BT LINE enters my house from the Telegraph pole outside, and where the outside wires join the wires in the house, it looks like they are frayed and also it appears that only two of the wires are connected and the other two are just hanging loose - is this right ?

I called BT but they said there would more than likely be a service charge if I called them out to look.

Does anyone know if I could simply connect the wires myself, and is there a specific wiring device (like a terminal box) or a wiring chart that shows what goes with what colour ?

Regards
  2. accyuklad

accyuklad New Member

Ratings:
    +281
    if its outside damage i would of thought it be bt to fix it free

the wires should show same colour to where it snapped anyway

also try putting your internet into the master test socket and see if any improvement
  3. beerhunter

beerhunter Active Member

Ratings:
    +759
    First of all how are you measuring that speed? Second it is helpful to know who is you ISP what product do you have and what router?

In the meantime, in order to the eliminate your own wiring as a source of any problems: Go into your router stats and make a note of your Line Rate. Now plug your router into the test Socket and reboot itr if you get an instant increase in Line Rate you need to sort out your wiring.

BTW: You must LEAVE THE BT WIRES ALONE! They may or may not be the source of any problems anyway and if even if they are you are not allowed to touch them.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  4. Andy98765

Andy98765 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,491
    And to add to beerhunters remarks you only need two wires from the telephone exchange, the two floating are most likely old redundant wires.