Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bravia W5500 DLNA compatibility

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Da_mENIZ, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Joe76000

Joe76000 Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Hello,

Well... I have downloaded "Wild Media Server" (UPnP, DLNA, HTTP) v.0.70 as of 12.01.2009 written by Evgeny Lachinov also using FFMPEG for transcoding, FUPPES for Network server, MediaInfo for Media information and VLC for Web TV.
    This is a trial version ending by June 1st, 2010.

I have installed and configured WMS on my weakest PC, a laptop - HP Pavilion zt3330EA (WXP SP3, CPU Pentium M @ 1.5 GHz and RAM 2 GB).

I have chosen Sony TV (DLNA, 16:9, 1920 x 1080), added my A/V folders and a scanning with all other parameters by default. Of course, authorized my firewall for WMS.

So, my Bravia KDL-46W5710E (W5500 series) recognized WMS without any problem, was able to scroll thru all A/V directories (by cannot by PC folders!) even getting small pictures for the videos.

Pictures (JPG) and Audio (MP3 & WMA) files played okay. But for Video files it's even working worst than with WMP11! Cannot play at all AVCHD files even when going to the Transcoding folder. The reading for the other formats are more than poor.

So, WMS is not a choice for me... I have tried it, I will forget it...

Both PS3MS (Windows, Mac OS and Linux) and/or WMP12 (Windows 7) are much-much better and compatible with my Bravia than WMS.

Cheers.
  2. philarvropagan

philarvropagan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe76000,

2. My PC is under XP SP3.

3. PS3MS + VLC (before or v0.98): do you mean that you already succeeded in decoding Webradios on your Bravia?
    If yes, any specific configuration/parameters?

:hiya:Cheers
  3. BraviaBob

BraviaBob Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Does the quality of your graphics card affect streaming performance?

I've just set up my Bravia 37KDL-W5500 with wmp 12 on a Windows 7 server (pretty basic machine with limited onboard card) and I was surprised at how easy it went with one massive reservation. The picture quality is awfull and blocky. I have a few ideas what may be causing this but wondered if anyone could give me any pointers to save me a bit of time.
  4. tuttonp

tuttonp Active Member

Ratings:
    +170
    The graphics should have no effect as its not being used to stream at all. You're better off looking at your network card first (100mb Minimum, Gigabit is best, wireless the least favourable option), then the router, then the cabling. CPU and RAM on the host machine would also be work looking at (the more memory you have the bigger the 'buffer' potential)
  5. BraviaBob

BraviaBob Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi and thanks for your reply. Some food for thought.

I don't think it's the network as I've had good results using media sharing from a wireless laptop to my xbox. In this case both the Host and Client are hard cabled. Also I could be mistaken but wouldn't network/buffer/cpu problems result in stutter / jitter? Or is there some sort of throttling mechanism going on over dnla? I can't see anywhere on the TV or in wmp 12 where you can adjust quality.

Anyhow I've built a new machine at work (more cpu and ram) and will take home a dedicated switch (currently using ADSL Modem/Router) to see if that makes any difference.

Cheers,

Rob

edit - Okay I tried the new machine and there's defiantly an improvement however it's still not great so I checked the performance monitor as the film was running. Now everything is fine apart from the CPU which is a relatively old 2 core 2.8ghz P4 , peaking and troughing at at about 90%. Would a gpu on a graphics card take some of this load?

edit 2 - Good news - it appears Windows 7 can offload transcoding duties to the GPU. This will hopefully save me are arduous task of changing the format of all my movie files to supported Bravia types. I shall test a card in my machine tonight.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  6. bobcat68

bobcat68 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've read through this thread several times but still can't get PS3MS to stream videos to my Bravia (40xbr). I have MEncoder, TsMuxer and AviSynth/MEncoder enabled and have set up several folders via share settings. I see my shared folders on the TV, and I have a #transcode# folder, but every title I try to play returns a message that "There are no items to display".

I'm sure, well, I hope, its something simple, but I'll be damned if I can figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.

*** BTW, I haven't seen anywhere else about this, but for home wireless network connectability, I was able to use a Netgear WGPS606 print server. Its nice in that I can connect both the Bravia and my Sony BD player to the same (you can connect up to 4) unit. Whereas the Sony recommended LinkSys WET610N only connects 1 device. ***
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  7. itachi46

itachi46 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i have tried the folllwing with ps3ms

pc=802.11n=> router ==> bravia(we5500)
    pc =100=> router=100=> bravia
    pc =100=> bravia

for some reason... the transfer rate seems to be capped at 20mbps anyone else have this issue? i test the network replacing the tv with another computer and got about 70-80mbps transferring.
    because of this SD contents works a charm but even 720i starts stuttering.

is there someething im missing here?

also i got wmp12 working but its reduced the quality of my hd contents to youtube quality :S is there a quality setting somewhere?

thx guys :)
  8. BarneyJing

BarneyJing Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

First of all, thank you for this excellent thread. I am no techie expert, but have found the posts very useful. This is my first posting, so apologies if my question is rather basic or has a simple solution.

I have managed to link my Bravia KDL-32W5500 to my network which is Windows 7 based. This was easier than I thought, I just needed to move my broadband router to behind the tv to connect the ethernet cable and link the other PCs wirelessly.

WMP12 works well, and I can view images, play music and some video on the TV. It took a while to set up and sometimes music files that didn't play initially then played after waiting period of time (?!)

My question relates to video: I downloaded some WMP versions of programmes from BBC Iplayer (.wmv files) . I can play these on WMP on my main PC and wirelessly across the network to another laptop. However, if I try to find these files via my Bravia they are not visible. Also, if I use the play to function in WMP it states that it is contacting the media server and then comes up with the error "media format not supported". This confused me as I thought the Bravia did support wmv files and/or WMP play to function converted the files to a readable format anyway.

I cannot work out if the issue is my Bravia or whether there is some protection on the files that prevents me viewing them on a TV.

If anyone has any ideas, please help as I would like to be able to use my set up to view downloaded files wirelessly on my TV.

Thx.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  9. ukoda

ukoda Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone and thanks Joe76000 for detailed posts.

I have come a cross an issue with the Sony KDL-32V5500 ignoring a server after the software was changed on it. I run a pair of Linux servers with the 64 bit version of CentOS 5.3 on them. I wanted to go with Fuppes as it runs much like any other service and transcodes. It took ages to get a RPM install done which would crash when run. So I tried miniDLNA which worked well but lacks transcoding so was ultimately no use. I then returned to Fuppes building it from the source and it appeared to run ok but the TV could not see the server running. Next I tried PS3MS which also ran ok but was also not seen by the TV. Checking ports etc I could see no reason for the failure so I tried PS3MS on my other (backup) server and it worked great.

I wonder if the Sony TV is caching the UUID or something which changes with the server software?
  10. BraviaBob

BraviaBob Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is my problem also - any help would be great!
  11. ukoda

ukoda Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just a follow up for anyone is interested in get the Bravia talking to a Linux server. I used Wireshark to watch the comms between the Sony and my server when running server software the Bravia refused to show as a DLNA source. The first interesting thing was when the server app starts it is exchanging info with the Bravia so the two see each other and talk, but that is not enough. When I ask the Bravia to connect to the grayed out icon for the old server software (miniDLNA) that was working, it actually sends out a mulitcast request and does not try to talk the server by it's IP address.

With this new info I added the multicast address range to the NIC and firewall. Fuppes still failed but that got PS3MS working. The Bravia see's it as a new server and has added a third server icon but at least it works with my primary server. I'm guessing nothing short of a factory reset will get rid of the icon from when I was using miniDLNA.

The bottom line here is that PS3MS is the easiest software to get working that actually does a good job, but the catch is it's not well suited to a server as it wants to run in an X session, so can not be easily started as a system service.
  12. quasar1234

quasar1234 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Joe you are geat!!! Excellent job.... I have one question: PS3 Media server works perfect thrue PlayStation 3.... Directly to 32W5500 I have a problem with picture dimension, the image is too hight and the subtitling is under the screen limit... no succes with Tv settings... some settings in PS3 media server?... For pictures and mp3...no problems....

Thank you in advance for reply...
  13. PeterinBC

PeterinBC Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I hope I can use this thread fro my 40"Z5100
    I have installed a Cisco N Dual band router and bridge and it works fine with pictures and Audio with WMP 11 on an XP PC.

In order to get Video I installed the last PS3 Media server vers. 1.1.369 and it shows all the files on the PC and the USB connected 1 TB drive, but only pictures and no Audio and no Video.

I did not find any help about the settings and in the transcoding setting it says : Video and video streaming "This engine is not loaded"
    and the same in VideoLan Audio Streaming.

By the way, if Joe7600 writes on French Forums, I would be happy to know them, as my French is far better than my English
  14. BraviaBob

BraviaBob Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have wmp12 streaming to their Bravia W5500 in good quality?
  15. PeterinBC

PeterinBC Member

Ratings:
    +0

Found most of my problems. Audio works with MP3 but not with LPCM

Most of Video works like AVI and MPG2
  16. BraviaBob

BraviaBob Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay after going through a list of Nero Media Server, PS3 Media Server, WMP12 and coding/transcoding countless different formats in desperation I turned to Wild Media Server. It is great! I have a brilliant picture and it supports loads of formats. The transcoding was done by a Dell D620 laptop which did the job very well on all the sub HD movies.

I do have a couple of issues to resolve like the grey boarder around the movie and trying to get it to work in Windows 7 but apart from that this is the media server I'm going to be using.

edit - 64 bit support now included and the boarder issue was just a setting in options.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  17. X2LGD

X2LGD Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, new to the thread... Trying to use my Mac G5 as a server but not sure how this all works - for a sony KDL52Z4500.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks
  18. X2LGD

X2LGD Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry - running 10.5.8 if that makes a difference?
  19. BraviaBob

BraviaBob Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You could try the PS3 Media server it's free and has MAC support.
  20. X2LGD

X2LGD Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - do i not need a PS3?
  21. BraviaBob

BraviaBob Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No it's scope goes far beyond the PS3. It's a dlna complient media server which should find and recognise your TV. I would say don't bother unless you don't mind a bit of fiddling and messing about.

My experiences so far is that either dlna is anything but a standard or Sony have made a half arsed attempt to use it so they can add it to a feature list to sell a few more TV's. :)
  22. tuttonp

tuttonp Active Member

Ratings:
    +170
    Agreed
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  23. X2LGD

X2LGD Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have installed PS3MS but saying "no PS3 connected"...

Can you give instructions? Or a link to instructions?

Thanks for your help.
  24. BraviaBob

BraviaBob Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look here;

* Mod Comment: hot link removed, do not link directly to rival forums. *

PS3 Media Server

I will say again that to get this stuff to work you need to be prepared to do a bit of reading and fiddling around.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2010
  25. kabadi

kabadi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    to the moderator who removed the link above, why don't you make a post on this forum then with the information from the rival forum and link to that instead.
  26. Alan CD

Alan CD Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,355
    Hi kabadi

You can make reference to a rival forum and quote in your post what the other forum has to say about equipment. What we ask is that posts do not contain a hot link to a rival forum.

Alan
  27. BraviaBob

BraviaBob Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The link posted was to the forum dedicated to PS3 Media Server a better place to ask dedicated questions about it than here. Just google it then follow the link to the forum.
  28. modstar

modstar Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All - been looking to get my laptop to stream to my newly bought TV Sony w5710 - and just stumbled across this thread.

So wanted to take time out and say thanks to everyone's contribution especially Da_mENIZ and Joe for starting this off and following up. It helps novices like me and provides much better guidance than SONY - disappointed with Sony though, hope they pick up pace soon.
  29. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +920
    My Sony Bravia KDL22E5300 finally can stream transcoded AVIs and MKvs using Wild Media Server running on Vista.:thumbsup:

Tried every other DLNA server mentioned on this thread without success; Wild Media is an excellent program compared to the utterly useless Twonky. Just wonder how much it'll cost when it comes out of beta in June
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  30. modstar

modstar Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Isnt twonky good for streaming internet feeds to your TV? Can any one confrim if internet streaming can be done from your laptop to TV using either wild or PS3?