Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Acoustics Soundware S or CA Minx (compared to Kef Egg 2001's)

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by S2KI, Dec 19, 2012.

1. S2KI

S2KI Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Having just moved house I need a new 5.1 compact cube surround package, as my KEF Egg 2001's are just too big to be ceiling mounted in the new space.

The main requirements are:-

They need to be white

Smaller than the Kefs

Be as good as the Kefs with music (or as close as possible). We probably listen to music more than using them as surround sound.

I would prefer not to go with the BA Soundware XS SE, my brother has them and they lack any mid range in musical reproduction.

Therefore I have been looking on the internet at:

Cambridge Audio Minx cubes. (Min 10)

or

Boston Acoustic Soundware S (which are larger than the XS, but there are not many reviews out on them yet.)

I probably wont get a chance to demo them as RS that stock the Minx do not do the BA Soundware S.

Does anyone have any input or opinion on the BA vs the Minx vs my old Kef's?

Also how would my Kef sub compare to the newer subs.

They are going to be used with a Denon 1612 which I picked up cheaply as last years stock.

All advice great fully received, thanks.
  2. PSM1

PSM1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,058
    Personally I do not think either set of speakers is going to match up to your current speakers, especially with music. You should be looking to pay in the region of £1k or so to really match the Kefs. Anthony Galleo has some small speaker options that could be worth a look. As would the Monitor Audio Radius or Apex ranges (although the PAex really deserves better amplification than the 1612).
  3. quantumAV

quantumAV Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +453
    Radius HD R45HD will be your best bet I think
  4. S2KI

S2KI Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you for the input, I'm sure that these will do a better job.

I particularly like the Anthony Galleo Micros.

However they are more money and I wonder if they are worth it? Will either of the other 2 options do a good enough job for me? Has anyone heard the BA Soundware S?
  5. Suave

Suave Active Member

Ratings:
    +340
    Hi,

Do they have to be white? If not, I have some Orb Audio Speakers that are as every bit as good if not better than the Gallo Micro's - they are in black though but sound great with both music & movies!

Suave!
  6. NewTrack

NewTrack New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi @S2KI what did you end up doing? I am at the same point comparing Minx Vs Soundware S. There is a package deal which makes the BA one much cheaper. And reviews seem good. I would like to hear your opinion. Please let me know.