Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blu-Ray Recorder with HDMI or USB(2?) Input?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Recorders' started by RBlythe, Jan 14, 2013.

1. RBlythe

RBlythe Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all!

I recently purchased a Sony HXR-NX5U camera to replace or upgrade my Sony DSR-200.

I had been using the FIREWIRE interface between the DSR-200 and my Sony DVD recorder (RDR-GX257) to create quick DVD's.

As nice and as up to date as the HXR-NX5U is - it doesn't have a Firewire output. The new technology seems to be a new form of USB (USB-2?). The camera also has an HDMI output.

The RDR-GX257 does not have a USB or HDMI INPUT. There is a USB port - but this seems to be for playing MP3 files(?). In short, I feel like my attempt to upgrade has actually knocked me back a few steps!

So, I am searching for a new DVD (blu-ray?) recorder that will accept either the new USB input or an HDMI input.

I apologize for the long and winding question! Does anybody know of any product that will serve my need?

Thanks!

RB
  2. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,242
    Welcome to the forum.

Firstly, no recorders will have HDMI input... It is forbidden on recorders.

It is possible to get Panasonic recorders with USB input, but these inputs are usually fairly restrictive.

One of their functions is to permit the copy of material from camcorders... BUT...they are fussy. It is a function that will not work with all Panasonic recorders, never mind other makes.

So if this is a vital function - which obviously it is in this case, then you would need to check very carefully for compatibility before purchasing... perhaps even to the extent of arranging a trial to see if it was possible.

The hurdles to overcome are:

1 - You need to know that the camcorder will actually output its files this way

2 - You need to know the video file format your camera uses for storage (MPEG2 or AVCHD etc).

3 - You need to know that any prospective machine will intake that file format via USB and will copy it to HDD.

4 - That it will have the required compatibility ( probably in the form of generating specific required support files. - and probably only determined by a real test- unless you can find a verifiable case of someone transferring from the same model - Extremely difficult.)

Have a look at this machine for example. Go to the 'Specification ' tab, then scroll down to the USB details just beyond halfway down the page.
    It will give the filetypes that can be played and or transferred.
  3. Mark uk

Mark uk Member

Ratings:
    +40
    I can only watch video over USB not copy video through it and there is no HDMI in on any recorder as far as I know.
    I do have a DV in (IEE 1394 I think) and I think you can copy AVCHD discs I think? and composite and scart inputs too but many of these options are not available on new machines nowadays.
    My recording machine (Panasonic DMR-XS380 HDD/DVD Recorder) is a couple of years old now.