Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blu-ray/Freeview HD tuner/Skype/iPlayer - which device should I buy?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by AMP5, Feb 20, 2012.

1. AMP5

AMP5 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    HD is finally reaching Berkshire this week so I want to buy something that will let me watch it on my HD ready TV. I'd also like this device to play Blu-Ray & DVDs, ideally have a hard drive recorder and allow me to Skype and use iPlayer. Looking around it seems that Panasonic does all of this apart from iPlayer which is a shame, LG does all of it apart from Skype (and the reviews suggest that they don't do any of it very well!) and various other boxes do the HD/Blu-Ray/DVD part but not the Skype or iPlayer. Does anyone know of a box that will do everything I want it to?

I've currently got an ancient Sony Vaio media centre which has a wireless keyboard and I can just surf the web as I would on my PC which is really useful for TV catchup but it look like all the new boxes only offer very limited web access e.g. youtube, itunes and not full browsing which seems weird. Am I just looking in the wrong place?

Any advice much appreciated thanks!
  2. icklenutter

icklenutter Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, what did you decide on in the end? im in the same dilemma and want all those things in one simple box, apart from im not too bothered about iplayer but need to be able to stream from my NAS, preferably via Samba but DLNA if i have to. Im also using a Win7 Media Centre, but want to get away from a full-blown PC, and i want bitstream audio output for my new amp.
  3. skk3

skk3 Member

Ratings:
    +168
    Did you get all this in a single box or did you need more than one piece of equipment?
  4. sotv

sotv Member

Ratings:
    +23
    The Panasonic DMR-BWT700 or DMR-BWT800 may be what you are looking for