1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blu-ray drive making clicking noise

Discussion in 'PS3 Forum' started by britneylover, Aug 7, 2008.

1. britneylover

britneylover Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Just recently my blu-ray drive makes a loud rapid clicking noise when reading from a game disc. Tried with a DVD and no noticeable noise. Haven't yet tried with a Blu-ray film disc.

It is a problem as it is loud enough to be disruptive but would like to know if any one else has had this problem and whether it eventually led to a failure of the drive. Or is there anything i can do to fix the problem (lens cleaner disc etc).

My PS3 (60GB) was bought in May 2007 so is outside the 1 year warranty, but understand Sony will replace with a refurb.

Thanks
  2. Naqv

Naqv Active Member

Ratings:
    +186
    ^ Sony will not replace it if it is not under warranty.

You could sign up to the Sony extended warranty for £4.99/month and then after a month or so, claim on it.
  3. britneylover

britneylover Member

Ratings:
    +1
    i should be able to get it repaired. A £400 machine should not break within 18 months. Can easily argue that it is not fit for purpose.

Turned it on last night and loaded up a game but no clicking noise. Seems to have rectified itself but would certainly not rule out that it happens again.
  4. tonton

tonton Member

Ratings:
    +21
    I seem to have had something similar and mine is only 3 months old. I here it spin up and then it clicks, and it does the same over and over again although the game does load. Is that the same?
  5. Darth_terra

Darth_terra Active Member

Ratings:
    +509
    They will replace out side of the warrenty for 60GB as they shouldn't breakdown after only a year, i know of a few people that have had them replaced, Sony say it's out of good will but really it's a legal obligation.
  6. Cha1ky

Cha1ky Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +9,386
    I also have a 60 gig and it sometimes makes the clicking noise also but its quite rare it only does it when loading the blu ray tho not during playback. I'm sure if my blu ray no longer worked tho i'd be straight on to sony for a replacement whether its out of warranty or not as i paid £425 and theres no way i'd expect it to breakdown after a year.
  7. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,031
    You are spot on when you say that a £425 console should last more than 18 months, however, under the sale of goods act, its actually the shop it was bought from who is responsible as they are the people you entered into an agreement with. Sony may or may not replace it, but it would be a gesture of goodwill as thier 12 month warranty is their only legal obligation. Check out the 360 forum and search for sale of goods act.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=479170&highlight=sale+goods+act
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  8. britneylover

britneylover Member

Ratings:
    +1
    It clicks whenever it is reading from the disc. I was playing GHIII and it made the noise loading up the menus and only occassionally during the actual gameplay.

Sounds like I am not alone with this problem, but for others it seems like it is only an annoyance rather than a sign of the drive failing.