Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger Play & Help Thread

Discussion in 'PS3 Fighting Games' started by gibbers, Apr 2, 2010.

1. gibbers

gibbers Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  2. edz87

edz87 Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Just out of curiousity, anyone on AVF playing this?
  3. Beck_

Beck_ Member

Ratings:
    +63
    It was next on my list for lovefilm.. but so close to SSF4, I just wont have any time to play on it now.. will be cancelling my lovefilm also as only 1 game will be gracing my PS3 for the foreseeable future. :thumbsup:
  4. edz87

edz87 Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Aww.. I'm gonna have a go at it though. Had it in the past when it got released a year ago but didn't manage to get into it. I'll still be playing SSF4 too though :smashin:
  5. Wigandave

Wigandave Member

Ratings:
    +90
    I plan to pick it up when it can be had for under £20.
  6. Beck_

Beck_ Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Well this got shoved through my letterbox yesterday coutesy of lovefilm.. so had a session on it. Hmmmm.. maybe not for me. :rolleyes:

I guess its in the mold of the capcom VS games and I didnt really play them much, so going from SF4 to this was a bit wierd. I felt myself button bashing which is something I hate doing.

I spent a little time in the training room with Noel.. I think I have the basics.. hit the D button, then you can combo using A or B or C, and keep going only using 1 button per combo.. and I could do fireball motion plus D during combo etc.. and when my super mete... oops I mean Heat meter gets to 50% I can do a ultra like move.

So I would hit 'D' and do a combo and then find myself mashing the buttons and dpad to try and keep it going beyond like 5 hits.. sometimes it did something flashy and other times it didnt.

I see there are lots of deeper stuff to do, like Barrier break? and I guess deeper combos.. but there was nothing in-game to tell me how to do this! I guess it needed some sort of SF4 challenge room.

The worst thing though was when I went on line.. there wasnt many player rooms with a decent ping.. and 2 times when I tried to join a lobby, it kept 're-connecting' and no button would do anything.. so I had to quit the game out. The 2nd time this happened, I put SF4 back on. :lesson:

I may try and read a bit more about the more advanced stuff and give it another blast on Thursday.. but when SSF4 drops, so does Blazblue.
  7. edz87

edz87 Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Lol I understand your frustration. I had exactly the same issue as you when I first had the game. Probably it was because I was too used to SF4 that everything seemed odd to me on Blazblue. I found that the blu-ray (US version) that came with the limited edition to be quite useful to give you a deeper insight of the possible combos with all the characters. However, if you don't have one, Youtube has all the videos uploaded.

I do agree that the lack of the "challenge mode" in Blazblue certainly didn't help in getting new players into playing seriously. Worry not, the new Blazblue Continuum Shift will be including this feature with tweaks on the gameplay as well (barrier break is basically just breaking off your opponent's combos but Blazblue Continuum Shift will have more advance barrier breaks).

With regards to the online play, you will get a reconnect issue when you join a room which has a match in progress. You'll have to wait until the match is over before you can join the room (abit silly from Arc System to not include some sort of notification that a match is in progress). I had the "not able to cancel connection" issue at first but found a work around later. I've only got that issue when I set my controller to "2" but not "1". Or you can just switch off your controller and turn it back on. It should solve the problem.

I'm not sure what time you played but I usually find lots of European players (French mainly) during evenings. I had a room full of players and there wasn't any lag or whatsoever. Gotto admit that Blazblue has one of the best netcode out there.

It's a game easy to mash and look flashy but difficult to master. Each character has their own distinct fighting style (unlike Street Fighter) and takes effort to really master one character. I hope your first experience with Blazblue would not put you off from giving Blazblue another chance. If you're looking for good infos, Dustloop is the place to be.

Hope this helps! Will surely see you on SSF4, if not Blazblue :devil:
  8. Beck_

Beck_ Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Ive watched a few vids and read some faqs .. I now feel alittle more comfortable with the game. Im still not too great with executing the combos though, but at least I can use some skill instead of mashing buttons.

The online did let me down again last night though.. only reliable games I could get were ranked, and I usually got matched with a lvl50+ guy who proceeds to whack me round the head.

Will give it another blast today as my SSF4 wont be coming till tomorrow.
  9. edz87

edz87 Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Ah..let me know if you wish to play, I'm trying to pick up Hakumen. ;)
  10. Beck_

Beck_ Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Well played some more last night.. Did a little better but still getting my ass kicked.

I guess its a game that you really need to sink some time into to get good at. I'm afraid my time with Blazblue is over.. SSF4 from tonight.