1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blackberry Bold 9900

Discussion in 'Blackberry Phones' started by chrism_scotland, Jul 26, 2011.

1. hardcastle

hardcastle Member

Ratings:
    +157
    Doesnt it add UMA for networks that support it?
  2. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,180
    Yup, it sure does. But those networks are fairly limited in the UK sadly, but it's there if your operator is one of those that does.
  3. hardcastle

hardcastle Member

Ratings:
    +157
    I got the phone on Orange a while back purely as they and the reviewers had all mentioned UMA support as with the rest of the BB range, I was less than impressed when I found out it was a feature that would require a future update.

Along with other features I was missing from my Iphone I jumped ship and despite now having a playbook I don't think I'd ever go back; Having said that, god know's who'll own RIM and what they'll do with the software/hardware in the next 12 months so I won't veto them altogether at this juncture.
  4. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,180
    Never say never, lots of good things will be happening over the next 12 months... especially for Playbook owners :)
  5. hardcastle

hardcastle Member

Ratings:
    +157
    Oh really? Beyond OS 2.0 ? Spill the beans mate!
  6. skhan786

skhan786 Member

Ratings:
    +52
    Hi guys im getting JMV error 545

On my blackberry
    What can i do to fix it
  7. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,180
  8. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Member

Ratings:
    +230
  9. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,180
    How dumb do you think I am :laugh:

However... now that RIM have been showing off 2.0 at CES, I can say more about that. Mainly, it's very impressive, especially if you have a BlackBerry handset as well. The Bridge functionality will combine with the WiFi hotspot functionality delivered in OS7.1 to make Bridge work over that WiFi hotspot for better range, better throughput, total remote control (the handset acts as a mouse trackpad as well as having specific control and data transfer commands) and better reliability, all while maintaining a data connection over WiFi for internet and email use.

Text entry is also massively improved in the 2.0 upgrade, with prediction going a step beyond what you see on other platforms. It learns your most commonly used words and presents them to you when you start typing. Over time you can stop typing full words and simply start typing a word and hit space for it to automatically finish that word. Sounds simple and similar to what you see elsewhere, but this works and works well. So if you often type the word 'BlackBerry' you'll soon get to the point where simply typing 'Bl' will allow you to hit space to complete the word. If that's not the word you were aiming for, keep typing. It's possible to type lengthy documents without finishing half your words :laugh:

Email integration is also improved, not just because it's now a native client but for corporate customers using the Playbook Admin Console, RIM have made the move to EAS inside a secure tunnel, so really the best of all worlds - EAS support for proper Exchange support (inc. proper folder support!), secure tunnel to keep data transfer 'inside' your network, as it is now for BES via a handset.

'Print to Go' is smart. Don't think of it as printing from your Playbook as that's not it, it's printing to your Playbook... it installs a virtual printer on your computer, you can then go through the normal routine of printing (File > Print > Choose printer) but the document will appear on your Playbook, wherever it is. It means file compatibility isn't a big deal and file transfer is as easy as printing. Simples.

There is loads more, but this isn't really the thread for it... the big thing is RIM have decided to go back to their roots and focus on the enterprise market, where they fit best. All development will have this as a focus. Sounds bad for consumers, but a lot of what consumers want follows enterprise developments anyway! Plus enterprise is becoming more aligned with consumers online, with Social Networking being a big focus for advertising and communication, so native support suits everyone :)
  10. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Member

Ratings:
    +230
    Again not really the thread but for any Bold 9900 owners with a PB, here the Email, Contacts and Calendar features of OS 2.0
    First Look: Full Video Walk Through of BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2 Native Email, Calendar, Contacts and more! | CrackBerry.com
  11. Rizza

Rizza Active Member

Ratings:
    +277
    I wonder if a BB subscription is needed for the push email to work.

Rizza
  12. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Member

Ratings:
    +230
    I dont think so its not done via BIS but Activesync
  13. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,180
    It doesn't need BIS to get Push* email.

*Technically it's not Push, ActiveSync never has been, but it's now a commonly adopted phrase unfortunately.
  14. pjguy

pjguy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    NOW ON 3RD PHONE IN AS MANY WEEKS, TOTALLY UNRELIABLE PIECE OF CRAP.HOW CAN THEY SELL PHONES THAT ARE CLEARLY NOT FULLY DEVELOPED AND WITH SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY ISSUES !!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad:
  15. Rizza

Rizza Active Member

Ratings:
    +277
    Care to expand on the issues you've had? Mine's been flawless but it's a business phone that doesn't get pushed much so perhaps I may not encounter the issues a heavy user would.

Rizza
  16. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,180
    I'd also have a word with whoever makes your computer keyboard. CAPS Lock seems to be stuck on.
  17. Sy1441

Sy1441 Active Member

Ratings:
    +202
    Lol.

Having been a user of Blackberry's for the last 5 years I have to agree that the 9900 isn't a great phone. I'm only on my 3rd one though after going through 13 9700/9780's in just under 2 years so its a step up from that. Mine just keeps slowing down to a halt.
  18. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,180
    When it slows down, try it without the memory card for a day to see if that helps. Odd suggestion I know, but it seems to work for some people.
  19. Sy1441

Sy1441 Active Member

Ratings:
    +202
    Will do.
  20. Wildkarrde

Wildkarrde Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,539
    Just got mine and the battery life is appalling. Full charge this morning now at 27. I read Rob's post on #190 so have downloaded the new OS as mine was still on .585.
    Hopefully this makes a difference.
    @ Rob, i noticed on #210 you installed 7.1. Was this a leaked version?

What a numpty, it is on 2406 doh!!
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  21. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,180
    Yes it was, source via Crackberry, strip out the vendor.xml files and load it via Loader.exe. There is a later build available which I've upgraded to since my last post (I forget the numer right now), all available via Crackberry :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. Wildkarrde

Wildkarrde Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,539
    Notice any significant battery increase? Again this morning from a full overnight charge it's already dropped to 90%.
    All ive done this morning is read some emails and answer 1 call.

The version i seen was .267, could that be it?
  23. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,180
    Yes that's the one, .267

My battery life was OK before, but it is better now. My 9900 is a work phone and I've not done a great deal with it since it came off charge on Tuesday morning, but it still has around 25% charge left. It's constantly receiving email and other such background updates, along with BeWeather updating every hour, so that's not bad IMO.

In heavy use, I get two-days from it.
  24. Wildkarrde

Wildkarrde Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,539
    Thanks for that. I've never insatlled a leaked version before but given it improves battery life then it makes sense to do it.
    There's a step by step guide onCrackberry so at least it should be easy to follow.
  25. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,180
    It's not bad to do really, you just need to find the vendor.xml and loader.exe files after downloading and installing the firmware itself. The rest is done for you... double-check you have a valid backup though, just to be safe.
  26. Sartios

Sartios New Member

Ratings:
    +228
    You guys still having battery issues? Got rid of my 9900 months ago because of it, good phone bar the battery, blackberry have gone downhill big time to be honest.

I mean look at that blackberry p9981, same spec as 9900 but different looks and. 2k price tag, no wonder blackberry is going down the toilet!

Blackberry were good, but personally I think there done a dusted as a reputable company, never get updates out on time always state things an never stick to times.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  27. gavinl1967

gavinl1967 Member

Ratings:
    +84
    :boring: heard it all before.

I don't know how battery life can be used s a reason to get rid of a Bold 9900. The battery life on my 9900 is far better than the battery life on a Samsung Galaxy S2 I used for a couple of months (I ditched the GS2 and came back to my 9900, as it was all glitz and glamour with no substance!) My partner also charges here iPhone 4G more often than I charge my 9900.

Blackberry are not the first and won't be the last phone manufacturer to bring out special editions of phones and charge a ridiculous amount of money for them. They're meant for people with more money than sense.

Granted RIM aren't the best at bring out devices/software on time, but hey-ho, who cares.

IMHO as a phone/email/text device a Blackberry can't be beaten :smashin:
  28. Stuart P

Stuart P Member

Ratings:
    +153
    +1 ;)
  29. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,180
    What makes that little rant so much funnier, is the clear lack of understanding of how the mobile world works. The P9981 is £2k because it's a specially commissioned phone that from the start was designed to have a £2k price tag. It's not aimed at you, me or most other sane people, it's aimed at the same people who would buy a Vertu.

As for never getting updates out on time - the update was out on time, as most are, but network operators don't always approve and release them. Ever wondered why each network has it's own firmware downloads page? Did you even know each network has it's own firmware downloads page?

As for battery life, it didn't affect all handsets, the majority were absolutely fine, but you don't hear about the majority, you hear about the problems. That's the internet for you, don't get too suckered into it, you didn't have to hand in your own power of free thought when you signed up to the internet.
  30. Sartios

Sartios New Member

Ratings:
    +228
    The thing is, i was a huge blackberry fan for years until they stopped looking after their customers, I know about firmware releases, silly! You don't use carrier firmware updates anyway you use the latest one out and delete the vendor.xml file everyone knows that! not just on about that, it's other things RIM promise to deliver and it just doesn't happen, Oh os7 has been out, how long? And where is the theme studio updated for os7 devices? No where to be seen......

The tech is old they just don't bring it to the table compared to other smart phones these days, hey I'm not trying to convince you lot as you are obviously die hard blackberry fans a I once was...

It's just my opinion, and after leaving blackberry for other smartphones i decided that they wasn't for me anymore and got a better experience elsewhere, as I was always looking for that extra something with blackberry phones I didn't know what it was but since leaving them I have found it.

The bb9900 is a let down to be honest, terrible camera, single CPU? and 720p video recording? All that and a terrible battery life, they released it not that long ago with other phones that are with much better spec, I know for a fact I was charging my 9900 more than I was charging my 4s, oh did I mention I had to have it replaced due to it being faulty, I know a few people that have had theirs replaced due to having faults.

Good luck with all your future endeavours regarding blackberry and I hope they once become as good as they used to be.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012