1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Screen Problem With Samsung Syncmaster 913N 19" TFT

Discussion in 'Computer Systems' started by JimBadger, Jul 5, 2006.

1. JimBadger

JimBadger Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there!

I've just broken the bank on a brand new Samsung Syncmaster 913N 19" TFT monitor, and am about to send it back as faulty.

The power light is on, but the screen is totally, utterly black. When I turn the monitor on, there is a brief white flash, and that is it.

I was previously using an old 17" CRT, with the resolution set to 1152x864, with a refresh rate of 70Hz. I shutdown the PC, switched the monitors over, and booted up. At first, everything was fine. I installed the new driver for the monitor, still fine. Next, I changed the resolution to the Samsung's native: 1280x1024. Everything was still fine, although I had forgotten to change the refresh rate to the recommended 60Hz.

Next, I tried a game. I loaded Sniper Elite, the monitor tried to auto adjust, and then went black. And stayed black. I rebooted. Still black. I went back to my old monitor, reset everything to how it used to be (including the driver) and tried setting up the Samsung again. Still black.

Now, I just can't get beyond the black, lifeless screen at all.

Do any of you kind folk have any idea what I might have done wrong?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks.
  2. clockworks

clockworks Member

Ratings:
    +326
    Can you see the bios messages when the PC is first switched on? If you can, then it's a windows resolution problem. Boot in "safe" mode, and change the resolution/refresh to the native settings.

Does the monitor have dual inputs (VGA and DVI)? Make sure that you've selected the correct input.

Have you got any other lights on the monitor? What colour are they, and are they flashing? A "solid" power light normally indicates that the monitor is getting a signal.

Make sure that the cable hasn't fallen out!

It's possible that the backlight has failed - try squinting at the screen from the side. If the light has failed, you'll see a faint image.
  3. JimBadger

JimBadger Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply :)

No, I can't see the bios messages. Also, if the monitor is plugged into the mains, but not connected to the PC then it doesn't even display the "check signal cable" message. Just the jolly annoying black screen.

Yep, correct input selected.

There's only the power light, which is solid green.

The cable is still attached ;) ( I AM supposed to have it plugged into the toaster, right?) Hahahahaha.

I can't see anything from any angle.

Thanks, but I reckon I'll have to accept that the monitor died within minutes of me turning it on, and send it back to ebuyer.com as faulty.

Now I'm beginning to worry about various complaints I'm reading around the net about ebuyer's customer service...wish me luck.
  4. clockworks

clockworks Member

Ratings:
    +326
    I think you're right, it's dead! Sounds like it's receiving the signal (solid power light), but can't display it.

Might be best to tell them that it never worked, rather than it worked for a few minutes.