Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Ops - Get Hardened or Standard edition?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 First & Third Person Shooters' started by Azzin, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    Ok...

My brain is a bit frazzled trying to understand the actual differences between the standard (circa £45) version and the Hardened edition.

I'm not prepared to drop £120 on the Prestige edition, as I know I will suffer huge buyer's remorse as soon as I get it home-especially seeing as the Prestige edition of MW2 is available for "only" £54.85 from ShopTo:

ShopTo.Net - Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 N V G Edition - Microsoft Xbox 360

So-as I understand it, the Hardened comes with Zombies yes?

Is that the only difference and if so, would I be better getting that initially instead of going for the basic version and then getting the Zombie levels as DLC later?

I'm presuming they will be available at a later date via DLC, or are they genuinely only going to be available with the Hardened and Prestige editions?

Cheers all. :thumbsup:
  2. willp2003

willp2003 Member

Ratings:
    +98
    as i see it, you get the WaW zombie levels thrown in. I assume they'll be available for DLC. I've never bothered with special edition games, but i know a lot of people like them. The other stuff (medal, avatar outfit) are not worth the extra cash IMO.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. I Spiritus I

I Spiritus I Active Member

Ratings:
    +795
    I've went for the prestige edition mate, as I'm a big kid and want the remote control car lol.

I did however originally have the hardened edition pre-ordered.

The differences between the standard edition and the normal edition are:

Hardened Edition comes with the 4 original Zombie maps from WAW, but they have been slightly addapted to run on the new engine. It also comes with a costume for your avatar and a medal of some sort. The 4 maps will probably eventually be available as DLC in the future, but I imagine it will cost a lot more, they may even split the maps up into two seperate DLC, 2 maps at a time? You know what companies are like when they want to milk the money from their customers.

If you enjoyed the four original maps then I would go for them. Apparently there is going to be some news on the 31st about the mode, so maybe they have added something to the maps but I have no idea.

Hope this helps.

T.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    I'm thinking of going for the Hardened now, but Game (online) are currently showing out of stock. :eek:

Call of Duty: Black Ops - GAME.co.uk

My pre order is instore, so maybe I should ask them about changing to Hardened.
  5. I Spiritus I

I Spiritus I Active Member

Ratings:
    +795
    I heard that some places are out of stock on it mate. I know my local GAME store are not accepting any more pre-orders for the prestige edition as they are sold out.

You could try places like HMV and Gamestation etc?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    Yeah, I'll have to do that.

I've stuck a £10 deposit down for it, but they said that was refundable anyway (although I used a Giftcard that I had, so it would go back on that).

I've got Kinect pre ordered in store, so the card will just pay for that (got a couple of Kinect games ordered from The Hut as they were £33 each instead of Game's £39.99 each. :eek:

Worst case scenario is that I pay £65 hard cash for the Hardened Edition from HMV or wherever, but ideally I'd like to get it from Game to use my Giftcard.
  7. Glasbo

Glasbo Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Hardened on order from Shop.to £59.80 worth it just for the DLC
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. OldSwitcheroo

OldSwitcheroo Active Member

Ratings:
    +564
    I had the standard, but just changed it for the hardened.

use code fiveoff at the hut for £5 off, making the same as shopto... Valid until tomorrow though
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. bluenose24

bluenose24 Member

Ratings:
    +95
    have gone for the Hardened edtn myself have spent many an hour on the zombie mp is very good to say the least!!!! just hoping i get it before release date even if its just by one day :devil:

Cheers
    Nev
    :thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. craggs

craggs Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Hang on,you dont get the zombie mp with the standard edition?

or you dont get the old maps??im confused,,its not hard :D
  11. King Tones

King Tones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,958
    You will still get a zombie level with the STD Edition but not the maps from World At Wat
    Am sure the WaW levels will be released at a later date as DLC
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    Hi all and thanks for the replies.

I bit the bullet and went for the Hardened edition in the end. :thumbsup:
  13. craggs

craggs Member

Ratings:
    +28
  14. DJSigma

DJSigma New Member

Ratings:
    +1,911
    Do you think so? The DLC map pack for zombies will probably be 1,200 MS Points, or about £8 if you use pre-paid cards. The avatar outfit is worth a couple of quid. I reckon that we'll see some good offers on supermarket deals in the papers this week that'll have people cancelling their pre-orders, just like last year.
  15. brumhee

brumhee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,251
    I've got my standard edition on pre order for £33 not sure I can justify an extra £26 for 4 zombie maps which will cost £10 at the most when they come out as DLC.

The maps most likely will all come out with in 2-4 weeks as people will be complaining they can't play with friends which is most of the fun.
  16. DJSigma

DJSigma New Member

Ratings:
    +1,911
    The maps will be on the disc, I bet. You'll just pay for an unlock key, so I reckon they'll cash in ASAP.
  17. nerro

nerro Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Tried to pre-order the Hardened edition at Gamestation this morning, they stopped taking pre-orders 'ages' ago according to the assistant.

So will have to stick to the standard edition and hope they release the WAW maps as DLC.
    Wonder how they would price it if they did though, 1200msp for 2 maps? Seems expensive but roughly equates to the extra £20 you pay for the hardened edition.
  18. mudstuff

mudstuff Active Member

Ratings:
    +356
    It'll most likely be 1200 or 1600 points for all 4. No point splitting them. That's not the only difference with the Hardened ed as you get different packaging and the avatar outfit too. Naturally many people may think it not worth it (and in money terms it isn't worth the extra £15-£20 over standard ed - before any supermarket deals).

I paid £26 for MW2 last year from sainsburys and I still play it today. I've easily spent probably 20 times that on other games throughout the year and barely played some of them. At £60, the hardened ed is still a bargain IMO for how much play I'll get out of it and I get it all wrapped up in a nicer package and with the WAW maps on day one (no doubt they won't take long to be released for all).
  19. nerro

nerro Member

Ratings:
    +47
    I'd happily pay 1600pts for all 4 maps, don't mind waiting a few months for them either. From the videos shown in other threads we know that there are at least 2 maps on the disc. That should keep me busy while I wait for the DLC