Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black glass Cantilever 60" stand

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by mark88, Dec 18, 2007.

1. mark88

mark88 Member

Ratings:
    +23
  2. gken74

gken74 Member

Ratings:
    +157
  3. PoisonJam

PoisonJam Member

Ratings:
    +144
    Wow, me too.

It's one of the few cantilever stands that looks like it will accommodate 4 full-size pieces of kit and a large centre speaker (on the small top shelf) and doesn't cost the earth. It amazes me the number of stands out there that won't take two pieces of standard-sized HiFi/AV kit side-by-side.

I asked them a couple of questions through their website just after Christmas but no response :( I want to make sure it's black glass as I read on Amazon (in a customer review) that they received clear glass and also to check the actual shelf width available between the legs
  4. gken74

gken74 Member

Ratings:
    +157
    it looks a great piece of kit for the money as similar style stands are around the £300 mark so I'm not expecting the quality to be amazing but all in all it does look the business.
  5. ANGUZ

ANGUZ Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Anybody got any pics of the stand with their gear on it ?
  6. gken74

gken74 Member

Ratings:
    +157
    i'm ordering one now so I'll take some pictures when it arrives.
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  7. PoisonJam

PoisonJam Member

Ratings:
    +144
    That would be fantastic! Any chance you could supply a couple of measurements, too? :lease: Specifically, the shelf width between the legs on the bottom shelf and the heights between the 3 shelves?
  8. gken74

gken74 Member

Ratings:
    +157
    Will do.

It should hopefully be here sometime this week, until then my LCD is just sitting on the floor looking sorry for itself.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. ANGUZ

ANGUZ Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I fancy one of these, as It has a shelf for a centre, and a nice bracket for the tv, as I would like to put mine on the wall, but I have plaster board walls, and dont want to risk mounting It, so any pics aNd measurementS would be great :).
  10. gken74

gken74 Member

Ratings:
    +157
    Guys,

Collected the stand last night from the City Link depot and built it up. I've got to say I've very impressed with it for £96.

Here's a few pictures of the parts and construction as it went.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would have no hessitation recommending this stand to anyone and it was pretty straight forward to build up even though I did put the shelves upside down at the beginning costing me about 30 minutes to sort.

cheers
    Gary
    • Thanks Thanks x 10
  11. PoisonJam

PoisonJam Member

Ratings:
    +144
    Wow, it really does look good :thumbsup:

Looks like the bottom shelf is wide enough for two standard size bits of equipment, too.

Thanks a lot for these pics! Almost certainly going to order one now! Did you have to specify the colour or anything when placing the order? I noticed on the site it says colour can vary.

Does the screen sit a lot higher than your CRT did on its stand? Just hoping I won't be spending all my time looking upwards from the couch!
  12. gken74

gken74 Member

Ratings:
    +157

I never noticed anything about the colour when I ordered it, just the black one?

I does sit maybe 10" or so higher than my old CRT but I can adjust the height with the fixing bracket on the back of the LCD, I've still to do the fine tuning tonight for all that.

I'm very chuffed with the stand and my mate dropped in and he couldn't believe it when I told him it was under £100.

It gets the big :smashin: from me.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  13. PoisonJam

PoisonJam Member

Ratings:
    +144
    Just ordered it :thumbsup:

Though it cost me £101.71 with courier del through Google checkout :rolleyes:
  14. gken74

gken74 Member

Ratings:
    +157
    I just paid via Paypal on the Allcam site :confused: Still you'll not regret it and the delivery was 3 or 4 days from order too.
  15. ANGUZ

ANGUZ Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Im loving that stand I want one :)

Thanks for taking the time to do the pics mate :)

Could do with some measurements though :)
  16. PoisonJam

PoisonJam Member

Ratings:
    +144
    I just took delivery of the glass shelves. Yep, just the shelves... bloody couriers!

At least I assume it's the courier's fault. One of the tracking numbers shows as picked up while the other shows as unrecognised :mad:
  17. ANGUZ

ANGUZ Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Nightmare mate :( I always make sure I sign for a parcel then In brackets (Unchecked), as your expected to check the contents on your door step, hope you get sorted, I wouldnt be appy` If only 1/2 of It turned up.
  18. PoisonJam

PoisonJam Member

Ratings:
    +144
    Yeah, I build and repaid PCs so I'm used to taking deliveries all the time and I'm familiar with the ins and outs. I usually make them stand there while I check the contents as it's the only way to be sure. I always have my trusty blade at the ready. Signing unchecked doesn't always wash when it comes down to it, otherwise they'd be signing all their rights away. If signing "unchecked" was faultproof then everyone could sign it and the couriers would be liable for any breakages after delivery or for any items that the sender forgot to include. It'd be a get-out clause for ever breaking anything, just blame the courier because you signed unchecked. Often the retailer will give recommendation on this depending on their experiences with their chosen courier. Some will say must be signed as "Unchecked" while some will say this isn't sufficient and the package must be inspected.

This was delivered to my work and reception signed for it. However, there's nothing wrong with the parcel and it's regraded as two separate items so I wouldn't have turned it away just for the other on to show up in a different van the next day. Technically there was nothing wrong with it. It wasn't 1 of 2 or anything. Just annoyed they couldn't manage to put them in the same van at the depot :rolleyes:
  19. PoisonJam

PoisonJam Member

Ratings:
    +144
    Latest update: OK, it turns out everything was in the one box, the box just had 2 consignment numbers :rolleyes:

However, there's no another matter and I'm furious :mad:

One of the glass shelfs has a missing set of holes to put the supports through!!! They just haven't been drilled through!

I'm going to refuse to dismantling this and packing this up to send back. They better just send me the part or ask for just the shelf back.

EDIT: Here's a pic. As you can clearly see, the holes on the left are missing.

EDIT2: It could have a happy ending after all. Allcam said they'll send out a new shelf and it should arrive on Monday. Just like that. They didn't even ask for the old shelf back or to see pics :)
  20. gken74

gken74 Member

Ratings:
    +157

That's a bummer about the shelf but hat's off to Allcam for the prompt service in getting it sorted for you.

I was wondering about the number of boxes thing you mentioned about as I couldn't see how they'd pack the stand parts into one carton and the shelves into another...

cheers
    Gary
  21. PoisonJam

PoisonJam Member

Ratings:
    +144
    OK, well I received the shelf and have had it built for a good few days now. I personally wouldn't describe it as easy to build, it was very fiddly and the instruction manual, although looking quite impressive at first, didn't show all the details. I persevered but somehow I couldn't get the feet to fit on. There just wasn't enough rod left to screw on the end bolts. Then I realised that the shelf I was shipped was another bottom shelf, which thicker than the top shelf! :rolleyes: I didn't realise they were two different thicknesses and when I phoned up they didn't ask me if it was a top or a bottom shelf.

Anyway, in the end I just left the feet off and it's perfectly stable resting on the bottom of the metal legs, I just can't slide it across the carpet easily now. On the positive side, it looks absolutely fantastic for the money.

Would I order this again? Simply: yes. There's nothing out there that offers enough shelf space for all my kit and a cantilever unless you are willing to spend £300. I also haven't seen anything for under £200 that looks better than this. The fact that this unit is £100 delivered makes it worth the hassle for me. If you decide to order it just remember that when you first start building the thing you are building it upside-down even though the instruction manual doesn't show this. So have the shiny side of the shelf aiming downwards when you start to build it. Obviously make sure you build it on a soft surface if you have wooden flooring, too.

Anyway, enough complaining, here's a pic :)

[​IMG]
    • Thanks Thanks x 5
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  22. gken74

gken74 Member

Ratings:
    +157
    PoisonJam,

I did the exact same as you by building it up only to realise I was suppose to be building it upside down :suicide:

And the part with the rodes that go through the legs I too couldn't attach the bottom screw but then I realised that I had tightened the first part (flat head that shows on the top shelf) too much so I didn't leave enough thread exposed for the screw nut at the other end.....took me ages to figure this out and I'm suppose to be an engineer too :oops:

I didn't like the part where I had to hammer the little wheels into the metal feet and only after I did this did I realise that it was a waste of time as I've got a thick carpet in the living room.

Still the hassle is worth it in the end eh :clap:
  23. PoisonJam

PoisonJam Member

Ratings:
    +144
    I read what you said about putting the shelves on upside down so I was careful to make sure I had the shelves (what I thought was) the right way round... in the end it's because you build the damn thing upside down! If only you'd just said that :mad: :p

The instructions were pretty poor text-wise. It didn't tell you that you were building it upside down and you should be careful what way the glass goes and it also fails to tell you where to put some of the plastic bits between the shelves.

I build a lot of this kind of furniture from Ikea/Argos/catalogues but this is the worst thing I've ever come across. With the shelf delay you could say it took 4 days to build :p
  24. TheGame

TheGame Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Anyone have any idea whether you could fit the following kit into/onto this?

KEF 3005se centre speaker
    Onkyo 605
    Toshiba EP35
    VCR
    slimline DVD player
    Xbox 360 (not critical this fits into the stand

I presume that the cantilever would take a 50" Panasonic Plasma (PZ70)?

Grateful for any advice on anything you think may do the job.
  25. Jamie Bug

Jamie Bug Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Could anyone tell me how the cable management for this stand works please? In two of gken74's pictures it's clear that the cabling to go directly into the TV is coming out of the top of the metal 'tube' thing running up the middle, but what about access to the shelves lower down? Is the tube open backed so that you can direct the cables where ever you need to or are their holes in the metal?

Thanks to anyone who gives me an answer :).
  26. PoisonJam

PoisonJam Member

Ratings:
    +144
    That main column is split into sections as it's divided by the shelves. There is a hollow in the column and you are given plastic covers that clip into the column which hold the cables in place. It's not the most elegant system but it works.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  27. Jamie Bug

Jamie Bug Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Good stuff, that makes it a serious contender on the list of stands I've got to chose from. Not in stock again until the end of next month though :(.

Cheers.
  28. TheGame

TheGame Member

Ratings:
    +2
    PoisonJam/gken74,

Looks like you've got a great stand there for a good price.

Any chance you could put a few measurements up please?

In particular the full width, depth and height of the rack, along with the distance between the shelves, and the distance between the pillars (side to side and front to back).

With a 50" plasma, would it sit too low compared to the speaker shelf (so that the speaker would obscure the screen)?

Thanks in advance for your help.
  29. PoisonJam

PoisonJam Member

Ratings:
    +144
    Please see my last response to ANGUZ here about height.

The distance between the two bottom shelves is 25cm and the distance between the two top shelves is 17cm. The distance between the legs is 100cm.

Distance front to back at the side edges is 40cm and distance from front to centre of the rear pillar is 38cm. Rear pillar is 19-20cm wide and curves. You'll notice my equipment is placed at the far sides of the unit, this is because the rear pillar interferes with the cables right at the edge of the AV amp if pushed right back. The other equipment didn't have this problem but were lined up to match the AV amp..
    • Thanks Thanks x 4
  30. ajp502

ajp502 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    great post, thanks guys, fully intend to order one of these for my le40r88 now. Just annoying that theyre not in stock until the end of feb.

Don't suppose anywhere else sells these?