Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Diamond = Mitsubishi?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Alan Philp, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Alan Philp

Alan Philp Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    What is the situation with Black Diamond TV sets? I seem to remember Mitsubishi pulled out of the UK with their audio/visual equipment a few years back so I’m just guessing that someone bought the rights to the name. As far as I can see there is no actual Mitsubishi badge on the sets [just Black Diamond] but they are being advertised as Mitsubishi products.

Does anyone have any info on this because I’m in the market for a new TV and apart from anything else, I don’t believe Mitsubishi would have their sets at such a low price point and exclusively at Powerhouse [in Scotland anyway].

The set that I’m also thinking about is the AV28WFT1 form JVC… anyone know if there are any problems with this TV?

Thanks
  2. simon1

simon1 Member

Ratings:
    +70
    You are quite correct in your understanding. I don't believe there is really the slightest link manufacturing wise with Mitsubishi whatsoever.

Bush used to be a great name donkeys years ago. Same thing.
  3. Alan Philp

Alan Philp Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info [​IMG] I thought that might be the case. The Black Diamond sets definitely don’t have the same simple yet high quality style that real Mitsubishi sets had.

What do you think about the AV28WFT1 from JVC? As far as I know the set has been discontinued [so it’s cheap :)] but it has all the features I need.
  4. garygfx

garygfx Member

Ratings:
    +14
    There's an ad in the national papers for a 32" Mitsubishi TV for £300! I can't find a review of the model (MD3250PFS) but even it's of average quality it's an amazing bargain. I have a 7 year old Mitsubishi that was brilliant in it's day and it's still going strong so I have a lot of faith in the brand, even though they have pulled out of the UK market.

According to the ad it comes with a free DVD player too! Monday 19th May is the last day for this offer. I'm highly tempted.
  5. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone Member

Ratings:
    +46
    I believe that Powerhouse purchased the right to use the name Black Diamond back in the mid 1990's when Mitsubishi pulled out of the UK market (apparently Mitsubishi were flogging off everything from their factory in Scotland which had only been refurbished a couple years previously).... they sold the rights to use the Mitsubishi name.

I assume Powerhouse just buy in the cheaper end products from someone like Vestel (a budget OEM Turkish (?) company)

I wonder how the service and spares situation is though?
  6. garygfx

garygfx Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I went to my local Powerhouse today and they sold all of the TVs on Friday within hours of opening! I phoned their head office and they've sold out nationally. Next time I shouldn't spend days weighing up the pros and cons and learn to spot a bargain when I see it!

I don't know what the spares are like, I'm sure they've got a stockpile. Even if they don't have, Powerhouse are legally oblidged to sort out faults or replace it in the first year. An extended waranty from domgen.co.uk costs £30/year which is brilliant - they'd have to replace it with an equivilent 32" set if they have problems sourcing parts.
  7. Uncle_Bill

Uncle_Bill Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Black diamond tvs are just the same as bush/alba inside and are really badged to order by some OEM Manufacturer,

as far as spares/service is concerned you are in the same boat as people who have bought bush/alba etc there are spares available but it usually takes a long time to get them.

The equipment itself is usually quite reliable considering the low cost.
  8. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples Active Member

Ratings:
    +422
    garygfx

read Mister_d's thread (posted tonight) , and you might just be glad that they HAD sold out of those tv's (if his is anything to go by)
  9. mister_d

mister_d Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Some people are reportedly quite satisfied with theirs (except the sound, which has been universally panned with good reason), though at least one other person has apparently experienced similar problems with variable geometry.

So as an ex-display model, is mine under the same one year warranty as any other TV purchased from Powerhouse? Thinking of selling it anyway as I've realised even a fully-functional and consistent 32" is a little too large for our living room...
  10. garygfx

garygfx Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I think Mister_d has just had bad luck. The ones in the advert were not meant to be ex-demo.

I'll keep saving for the Sony KV32FX68 then. Hopefully that model won't have the defects (buzzing and lines) that I've read about on other Sonys. I still can't find a review on it.

Judging by this forum it's a hard job finding a decent TV! Or maybe only those with a problem post messages! :devil:

Gary.
  11. garygfx

garygfx Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Mister_d, you do indeed have a 12 month guarantee for the TV unless Powerhouse put it in writing (such as on the reciept) that it's not. You bought the TV from a retail shop so the same law applies. If the picture is as bad as you describe they are oblidged to fix it because it's not fit for the intended purpose. I don't think I could watch it with geometry like that! ;-)
  12. t-force

t-force Member

Ratings:
    +75
    The Black Diamond name was originally resurrected by Scottish Power, when they were still in retail. I worked in one of their stores at the time, and left shortly before the handover to Powerhouse.

To say the TVs were useless would be doing the word an injustice. Utter, utter **** is the real way of describing them. The 28" model we sold at the time used to catch fire regularly (no kidding!!), prompting a recall, and the build quality of both models was just shocking.

Unless they've changed their OEM supplier (which I doubt), I would say avoid like the plague.
  13. garygfx

garygfx Member

Ratings:
    +14
    That's unbeliveable, t-force! Okay, I'm REALLY pleased I didn't get one now. But I'm shocked because Mitsubishi were once one of the best makes and regularly got high praise in What Video magazine.

Mitsubishi VCRs won awards in WV 12 years ago and mine is still working brilliantly. My TV is 7 years old and I'd keep it longer if it weren't only 21". Why would they suddenly go from great to crap? It doesn't make sense.
  14. t-force

t-force Member

Ratings:
    +75
    The real reason for the change in quality is the manufacturer: Mitsubishi used to genuinely make TVs and VCRs until about 1999 (I think). Then they pulled out of the market, and for about 12-18 months there was nothing connected with the name at all. Then Scottish Power bought the rights to the name, and stuck a badge on some OEM TVs from Turkey (I think it was Turkey anyway).