Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BK Monolith DF are you happy

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Gixer1970, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Gixer1970

Gixer1970 Member

Ratings:
    +114
    Hi one and all,

As my sub is the last part of a long term upgrade and is the weakest link (pardon the pun) in our set up, the good lady indoors has agreed to treat me to a Monolith DF :clap: in Walnut to match all the Kefs we have for my birthday.

We have a large lounge which is open to a dinner then kitchen. We dont change our av kit that often so this will be a long term purchase and I always tend to seek advice from here before a purchase and have found it to be very helpfull.

For those of you who have this, at almost a cost of £500 have you been happy with this in respect to build quality and performance and value for money and also wear and tear? Also as a guide, how long does delivery take from point of order as she would like to ensure it arrives before my big day :)

We watch alot of films and listen to music now and then and with 3 kids it will be kept busy.

Many thanks for your input.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  2. filby1

filby1 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Its the dogs, i have the Lab 12 500w version and its awsome, build is great and it weights a tone
    They need some running in and mine does sound better after a month of it, its aslo taliked about in the same vein as the SVS PB13 Ultra another great high power vented big box subwoofer at £1000 more than my Monolith,

All im really after is reviews of the Monolith Vs the DD-18/15/12 which i am lead to believe are some of the best sealed subs along side the Fathom which i would live by the way, easy the best looking sub ever
  3. Member 96948

Member 96948 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,856
    IF they're talking about them in the vein of, what's the next step up from my Monolith then yes, the SVSs can be mentioned in the same breath. The Monolith is a superb £4-500 box, the best even, but it has it's limits.
    Again, much the same thing. It will deliver more bottom end than the smaller designs in that list and match the bigger ones, but will be completely outclassed in every other respect as well as out-grunted by the larger designs. The difference is in the texture of the bass - the better subs simply have a much greater grip and a much cleaner upper bass too which is often overlooked.

The Monolith is (quite) big, goes very loud and low for a budget sub and compares very favourably against stuff in the highstreet up to about £1500, but that lot listed above are a different class again.

Russell
  4. filby1

filby1 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I prob would not be able to tell a difference,

I would love a fathom there cool looking things and The DD too but there way out of anything my wife would ever let me have.

the DD and Fathom are both sealed right? so very tight and controled bass too but also drop to 20Hz so there better for music hands down? am i right and also drop as deep as a monolith so can do movies better too? am i still there? but both the DD and Fathom have room correction the Monolith does not.

so monolith + Antimode is like £750 for the one i have running the Lab 12 5002 amp panel, so thats just under £1000 less than the PB13 Ultra and endless £££ less than the £3000 +ur paying for the DD-15/18 and fathom.

Most us average joe/jane's would never tell the difference, and not just that most me too will never get the chance, there just so badly priced that people just can afford them no matter how much they want them.

I too want deep base, a good name and the look, but anybody who spends £3000+ on a speaker in a woodern box with an Amp stuck on the back is plain mad, how many people on here can build or no people who can buils twin 15" vented beast that can better the shop bought subs for less than even a PB13Ultra
  5. k13 wjd

k13 wjd Member

Ratings:
    +50
    i'll be able to inform you of current lead times shortly......

I ordered on the 6th, and tom emailed me on the 8th. 14 days makes it the 20th/22nd.

So t minus 5/7 days.......You'll see a new thread the day it arrives !
  6. roaduck

roaduck Member

Ratings:
    +76
    I bet you can't wait can you k13 wjd :)

What I've found is Russell is right - a mono hasn't got the best upper bass so I have mine on minimum low frequency and just get the main upper bass from the standmounts, bookshelf speakers or the dipoles.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  7. filby1

filby1 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Its a good sub really and well priced too, i have my amp set on Direct so that takes whatever is above 80Hz no problems.

I run the JBL L series speakers, big and brash for movies, there good and have 6" mid base woofers i have had the system on -0 or 0db whatever it is and the cones only just move
  8. Prize78

Prize78 Active Member

Ratings:
    +809

Check out the diy subwoofer builds pages at the top of the subwoofer forums on here, and you'll get an idea.....It's all going off on there. :thumbsup:
  9. roaduck

roaduck Member

Ratings:
    +76
    I bet it sounds sweet.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  10. Gixer1970

Gixer1970 Member

Ratings:
    +114
    :hiya: is this going a bit off topic
  11. SBanga

SBanga Active Member

Ratings:
    +271
    For ~£500, if you have the sapce, I wouldn't even glance at anything else. The Monolith is beautifully made, hard wearing and for true room filling movie ability, is untouchable at that price.
  12. Maxx Reloaded

Maxx Reloaded Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Mine took 16 days from order to delivery...

I was apprehensive about spending so much on something I had not seen or heard in the flesh, having had it for two weeks now, WoW :D:rotfl:.

It's still being run in, (after which I shall purchase the 8033 to remove/reduce the boominess I have from my room.) I have not yet begun to truly explore its capabilities yet already it has made the trousers flap and the adrenalin gland go bonkers :eek:

As for quality, the workmanship is top notch
  13. vader100

vader100 Active Member

Ratings:
    +440
    Loving mine, light oak colour. All the soundtracks of my films have new dimensions to them. The Dark Knight is one example. Where he lands on the van in the opening sequence always seemed lacking to me and suddenly there is a really low dull thud felt through my sofa.

Build is solid and it is very heavy, 46 kg. Two man lift to shift it around when setting up.

Lurk around on the classifieds here and you can pick them up. Got mine, less than a year old, for £400.
  14. Peter Galbavy

Peter Galbavy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Had mine about 2 1/2 years now. Very happy, suits my environment and never felt like I needed more for 5.1. The sofa gives a pleasing massage when watching a bass heavy film...
  15. indus

indus Active Member

Ratings:
    +142
    I had one, it is fantastic. Well built and more of a sub than most people will ever need.

I upgraded to a SVS PCU, but only because i had upgraditis
  16. roaduck

roaduck Member

Ratings:
    +76
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  17. Zorba_8

Zorba_8 Member

Ratings:
    +150
  18. roaduck

roaduck Member

Ratings:
    +76
    The price is in US$ not CDN$ - but it's still a bargain at that price Zorba.
  19. k13 wjd

k13 wjd Member

Ratings:
    +50
    spoke to Tom at BK today - my cabinet is nearly ready, and he tells me it'll be finished on friday, for shipping on monday, and delivery tuesday - thats 14 days on the dot from when they acknowledged my order.
  20. Turbo Tony

Turbo Tony Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I'm getting really depressed. I've just splashed out on an entire AV setup. All that's missing is the sub. I've tried to order one of the uprated Monolith DFs from the website, but it results in an error message after I hit submit.

I've left two enquiry emails (they kinda responded to one) and a voicemail which is yet to be returned.

I want my sub... They just won't let me order it!
  21. swiftpete

swiftpete Active Member

Ratings:
    +450
    I bought mine for £270 from the classifieds here. I chucked the box away the other day as I can't imagine selling it in the forseeable future. I haven't experienced many good quality subs like some on here, but it was a noticeable increase in sound quality and power over the wharfedale sw250 I had before. I'm very happy with it. It is not possible to have the gain turned up anywhere near full in my room otherwise there is so much bass it's physically uncomfortable but even on the setting I have it now, my trousers move when have my feet on the footrest next to the monolith.
    Definitely happy with it.
    You can lift them by yourself as I had to do the other day to get my new piece of granite under it, but make sure you do it right cos you could probably hurt yourself if you're not used to heavy weights!
    Although I've always been happy with the sound, now I've heard of the antimode, I am slowly convincing myself that I need one of those now...
  22. roaduck

roaduck Member

Ratings:
    +76
    That is what I call service k13 wjd - A little British company that truly cares about it's customers - that's rare these days.

I hope that you get the opportunity to see if it "does the ton" without breaking a sweat (20 hz at 100 db).
  23. Charlts

Charlts Active Member

Ratings:
    +364
    I have a walnut df which was matched to my speakers by BK using a few photos! My lounge shares a wall with my kitchen and with the door open the sound is very bassy almost like a corridor in a night club.

Quality wise mine was used as an impromtu seat when I had a houseful a few weeks back! A good friend of mine is a chippy, thinks the build quality of the cabinet and finish is very good.

Overall I'm well impressed with, for a big box it looks good and everyone who hears it agrees it sounds great.

Ryan
  24. k13 wjd

k13 wjd Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Re-order it, but this time, leave the "comments" box empty.

I had the same thing when i ordered mine !
  25. Turbo Tony

Turbo Tony Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the tip. If I order a standard model, how do I request the uprated model, with the more powerful amp and LAB12 driver? I'm worried that two weeks after my order (if I'm lucky!) a standard monolith will arrive at my door!
  26. k13 wjd

k13 wjd Member

Ratings:
    +50
    well, they dont take any payment untill its shipping - so make the order, then the next morning, email ( AND CALL ) BK, and ask them to upgrade your order.

simples.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  27. adamduk

adamduk Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Very happy, sits in the corner of my lounge as a table. Awesome performance for the price (actually for any price), and adds more to the sound than an amp upgrade ever would. I would recommend getting a glass top for it as any spills will get in the grain. Beautifully made too.
  28. roaduck

roaduck Member

Ratings:
    +76
    I've got the breathed-on custom version ( LAB12 500 watt) Turbo Tony and it's mega and I'm not easily impressed.£572 British handmade - 2 yr guarantee in standard real wood veneer finishes with superspikes (excellent for wood floors) and delivery - 800 watt woofer - 1000 watt peak class A/B amp - does the ton as well - 20 Hz at 100 db - not many do that - never mind cleanly.I've got mine in a bedroom on the end of a micro system - no probs.

Talk to Olive at reception - she'll pass the message on to Tom and you can even have custom cabinet finishes to match your furniture.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. Gixer1970

Gixer1970 Member

Ratings:
    +114
    some good replys here, any more owners out there with any comments?
  30. k13 wjd

k13 wjd Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I'll provide a full report and graph once my 'lith arrives - i'll even take photo's of the opening....

Cant ****ing wait till tuesday.