1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BK Gemini Mk2

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by releaseyourself, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac Active Member

Ratings:
    +565
    The original Gemini does, so i'd assume so!
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  2. Dave E

Dave E Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Hi

Does anyone know, or want to hazard an educated guess, whether one of these would be an upgrade to a Canton AS 100 (I think that is thhe model no). It is the older equivalent of this: AS 65 SC - Plus / AS Series - CANTON pure Music (en)
    I got it as part of the base sub/sat package a few years ago.

I would like a bit more out of a sub - particularly with music, so looking at a potential upgrade, but the Canton is actually more expensive than this.

Thanks in advance.

:hiya:
  3. Einbn1

Einbn1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    O.k my first post on a forum. Been involved in studios/ music for ever, music is my life. Gone and bought an 875, first go at surround, and after reading all your posts for the last week I can't wait... Thanks. Got some great bits of kit and only now have had the circumstances to think about indulging myself in the A.V experience (No misses being involved) :clap: For better or worse.(Sorry ladies) BUT!!
    Need to buy a sub. (want it yesterday) Tight and musical... and for starters £300. Just done £499 on a recon 875 when it arrives, can't wait.... But Still need a center. And a huge bean bag to love it in. So Epos ? XLS 200 or Gemi ii. They all would be fantastic for a first timer. Been waiting for a little more action on this post just to help me, SORRY !!! But need to hassle you all, any feed back would be fantastic. Great forum, thanks. Oh and Russ if you read this, I do like your no ********, dry and very informative posts. A great help.:thumbsup:
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  4. matt0

matt0 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Just ordered my Gem II in black! Can't wait!:clap:
  5. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac Active Member

Ratings:
    +565
    Has anyone done (or found) and comparison between the original Gemini and the version 2 model?

I'm hankering for a little more depth (ooh matron!) and an upgrade to a version 2 could be an easy sneak past SWMBO as i'd get the same colour etc.... i'm assuming it does offer more, but some confirmation would be good!

Oh and anyone want a light oak version 1 :D
  6. gamen

gamen Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi.

I have a BK Gemini 2 is connected to Yamaha 1900 using the low and high level input.

It works fine but I perceive a problem when the two inputs are connected and the AV is without output, I can hear a low hum from the subwoofer. However, I disconnect the high input then the hum dissapear.

Is this normal? Is there something wrong?

Thanks.
  7. Oipete

Oipete Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Have read this entire thread this afternoon with eagerness. I am on the verge of ordering one of these super little subs. The system I am hoping to hook it up to is as follows;

Onkyo 605
    Monitor Audio Piano Black 2 x R270 (fronts)
    Monitor Audio Piano Black R225 (centre)
    Two old Sony stereo speakers (rears)
    Virgin V+
    Sony PS3
    etc
    etc

Would this Gemini work well with my existing setup as i haven't had a sub before and this seems like something decent for less cash than the MJ Acoustics Pro 50 II I had been recommended?
    Will it make a big difference?

Regards
    Oipete
  8. uhal

uhal New Member

Ratings:
    +8
    hi,

whats the height domension with feet and spikes ?

thanks

uhal
  9. -Ad-

-Ad- Member

Ratings:
    +212
    It should do swimmingly well. What are the dimensions of your room, construction of the walls/floor, and is it ground floor or on a suspended floor (I.e. 1st floor) ?

Mine can just about manage in a large 7.5m x 4m room, although does start to roll off heavily after 35hz. I'm still tweaking though, and those results are only with the gain at ~45%, and a room that gives me some horrible peaks.

Check out CARMA and get yourself a Radioshack SPL meter direct from BK if you order the sub. Vital to read up a bit and get the sub setup correctly in your room. The difference is staggering !

Gemini

Mine is spiked into carpet and at 365mm at the moment. Add on 5mm for the sppike actually in the carpet, so ~370mm inc feet and spikes screwed in.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. uhal

uhal New Member

Ratings:
    +8
    thanks for that,

ive got about 10 mm to spare for under wooden coffee table, is under a coffee table OK ?

Also is BKs site the cheapest palce to buy or should i search elsewhere ?

thanks again

uhal
  11. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +11,066
    They sell direct to the public so that is the only place to buy one new. If they have a cancelled order they sometimes sell them on ebay, but at the same price as on their home site.

Dave
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. uhal

uhal New Member

Ratings:
    +8
    is placing the sub under a 2 ft by 4 ft coffee table ok , as my rooms a tad small !

thanks

uhal
  13. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +11,066
    I'm sure it will be fine :thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. -Ad-

-Ad- Member

Ratings:
    +212
    It will be fine, but watch out as it may make your coffee table dance :D
  15. matt0

matt0 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    mine is finally coming, got to wait until next friday for delivery because of bank holidays and work :mad:

ah well, I'm sure it will be worth the wait.
  16. Oipete

Oipete Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi thanks for that -Ad-.
    I have sketched out an idea of the room in the image attached.
    [​IMG]
    All the walls are brick walls and there is a door to the left of the front left speaker.
    The other end of the room is used for the dining area.

Hope this is enough info.
    Many thanks and best regards.
    Oipete
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  17. Grayman

Grayman Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Got my 2 Gemini's on Thursday (BK were excellent with delivery dates etc), set them up yesterday with 3 Anthony Gallo Micro Ti's.

First thing that struck me was how small they are, had a very large Harman Kardon sub prior to these and was expecting them to be bigger, but their size is a real bonus and they fitted either side of the TV stand perfectly.

Build quality is as everyone says on here, very very good. I got gloss black and the fit and finish is faultless.
    Have used them on and off for about 24 hours now and love them. Clear precise sounding without any boominess, but plenty of grunt for action scenes.

Amazing value at £200, and using two hasnt given me any setup issues so far, though I dont have a SPF or anything so Ive set them so they match eachother phase wise (0) and slightly different on gain (using LF only), and both together give a fantastic full sound that's got some grunt.

Only one slight annoyance is a low humming sound more from one than the other. It's not intrusive when watching, but if there is a silent scene you can pick it up if you listen for it. Nothing major at this point and if it gets louder Ill speak to BK.
  18. -Ad-

-Ad- Member

Ratings:
    +212
    Awesome sketch, cheers :)

Is that sketch the total size of the room with the dining area being around where the 4m arrow is ?

A Gemini should be fine for that room, but maybe consider an XLS200 also, especially as the amp has more oooomph. My gemini rolls off below 35hz in my room (~7.5x4) (45% gain), but I will be configuring it properly today with a behringer feedback destroyer, and will get the results up on here to show you what it can do.

Off to pickup the BFD now, will report back later.

Also Oipete, what is your floor, ground floor with concrete and carpet over the top, or concrete with laminate etc ?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Oipete

Oipete Member

Ratings:
    +7

Hi -Ad-
    Yes that room is as it appears in the sketch. The bit where the 4m arrow is is our dining area. The floor is concrete and has underlay and carpet on top of it.

I was offered a new KEF HTB2SE Gloss Black over the weekend for £350 instead of the £500 RRP. Would this Sub be as good or better than the Gemini as I think it looks the DBs.

This will be my first sub so am a little overwhelmed with the choice. The place that made me this offer is giving me a demo tomorrow afternoon. What should I be looking (listening) for?

Many thanks and best regards.
    Oipete
  20. paulr2006

paulr2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,574
    ThBK Gemini is likely to give similar results to the Kef, but cost considerably less & has an additional year guarantee :) the XLS2000 would be altogether better & go lower :)
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  21. SilverJDM

SilverJDM Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I would also like to ask this question, does anybody know?
  22. Oipete

Oipete Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for your comments paulr2006.

So do you think there is a significant difference then between this KEF HTB2SE and the BK XLS200 MK2?

At £322 including cables the XLS200 is a good bit cheaper too. The KEF is a very nice looking piece of kit but if it doesn't perform, it's kind of pointless.

I am listening to the the KEF tomorrow and have no way of hearing the BK to compare.

I am unsure what to do now as the deal offered on the KEF won't be there indefinately. The KEF would be easier to set up I imagine!

Thanks and regards.
    Oipete
  23. paulr2006

paulr2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,574
    I had the HTB2 Sub from Kef & yes it's a nice looker & it also sounds good but it will not give even close to the performance of the XLS200. In terms of setting up there is really not much difference except that the kef does not have a gain control as such just a switch which boosts the db & has a switch which gives you 0 or 180 phase, the BK has a gain control which you set to around half way & a variable phase contol which goes from 0 through to 180.
    obviously the Kef has a design edge as it's not a "Box" & is usually wife friendly but also consider it's internal volume which is around half or less of the BK, obviously therefore it can't perform like the BK. :)
  24. Oipete

Oipete Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks,
    That's pretty definitive to say the least. Given that that is the case, KEF seem to charge quite a high premium for the design then if the performance doesn't match a sub that costs £200 less. It's a huge pity I can't hear the XLS200 for myself without buying it.
    I think I will still go and hear this KEF today as the sun is out and I have the day off. They are going to demo a projector for me too.
  25. paulr2006

paulr2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,574
    It's not so much that Kef are charging a premium as such; Firstly it's made in China & has to be shipped over here, then you need to add the Dealers margin to look after you & pay for Showroom, Wages etc. (this does not come cheap). In the Case of BK they manufacture Subs for many major Big brand names & these are obviously sold via Dealers. However the models you see advertised are direct from BK so theres no dealer margin on them which often means you pay half of what you would for a retail equivalent :)
  26. Oipete

Oipete Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Many thanks paulr2006.
    I will post my thoughts tonight after the demo. I think I am going to keep my wallet firmly in my back pocket today though after everything that's been said on here.
  27. paulr2006

paulr2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,574
    Not saying the Kef is bad, just simply there is better value/performance for your money, also depending upon where you live chances are one of the forum members would let you have a listen to there BK sub, anyway enjoy your demo :)
  28. Oipete

Oipete Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Well, I have been and enjoyed the demo of the KEF and a B&W sub as well as a demo of a projector based system. The sales guys are always so good with me and I am always grateful for their advice. (Name drop: HI-FI CORNER FALKIRK)

The KEF still looked cool as an ice cube and when he played a couple of scenes from Transformers, War of the Worlds and Spiderman it sounded very good indeed. However, once he unhooked the KEF and hooked up the B&W ASW610 the difference was very apparent to both me and my 14 year old son. In fact, we both said "Oh my god" when we were apparently suddenly tranported into the centre of an earthquake during one scene in Transformers.

I do not know much about the technical details surrounding subs but I can tell you this, the KEF was a real treat to hear hooked up to that system in the demo room, but once it was compared to that B&W ASW610, the experience wasn't in the same class (IMO).

I really wanted that KEF to be brilliant so I could grace my living room with its sexy looks but sadly I have already experienced better with just one comparison.

Would anyone be able to tell me how this B&W ASW610 compares to the XLS200 because if the XLS200 is as good as that B&W sounded today, I will be a happy man. It's nice to have been able to benefit from the advice and experience of people within this forum before spending hard earned cash.

Very many thanks all.

As a quick side note, I think some serious thought will be going into the projector idea. I was amazed by how good the images are from a projector these days and the shear size of the image on the screen makes it jaw droppingly good.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on todays jaunt. Hopefully you guys can give me your opinions of the comparison between the B&W mentioned and the XLS200.

Very best regards.
    Oipete
  29. paulr2006

paulr2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,574
    Oipete

Glad you enjoyed the Demo, cant comment personally on the B & W but someone on here will know I'm sure :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  30. -Ad-

-Ad- Member

Ratings:
    +212
    Oipete.

Glad you had fun at the demo, what a great way to spend some bank holiday time :thumbsup:

I haven't heard the B&W or KEF, but I would say that if looking at the B&W then you are actually in the price range of the BK monolith, and I can say with a high degree of certainty that it will make the KEF and B&W subs look like my first sub from the 'early learning centre' in comparison :D

I say forget the xls200 and go the full hog and order yourself a Monolith, I certainly wish I did :D
    • Thanks Thanks x 1