Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit of help

Discussion in 'Desktops' started by kdacey, Jun 28, 2010.

1. kdacey

kdacey Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

Bit of a problem - my pc turns itself off after about an hour of use, as if someone has turned the power off from the plug.

Wheni boot it up again i probably get 15 minutes to an hour out of it before it happens again - is it more likely to be a loose connection or overheating?

Cheers!
  2. reeve1987

reeve1987 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    when you say turning off. do you mean shutting itself down or just ike a power cut?

also what system do you have?

psu
    mobo
    ram
    cpu
    o/s
    cpu temp
    internal air temp
    self built or shop brought?

all this is needed to help you further.

it could be overheating, but i kind of doubt it.
    more likely to be a power supply issue.
    i had something similar except mine was trippping the circuit breaker and the mains fuse box. turned out my psu was causing a live feed into the megtive circuit and shorting it. although this isnt happening to yours or you'd have said otherwise, but its an example of a faulty psu causing a computer to loose power

do you have any of the following parts spare?
    psu
    ram stick
    plug fuses
  3. joegriffin13

joegriffin13 Member

Ratings:
    +25
    If the plug fuse goes the pc wont start up again up youv replaced it :thumbsup: . Sounds like overheating or a bad psu to me ? Try running speedfan see what the temps are like. and as said before what psu are you using?
  4. Fe_man2000

Fe_man2000 Member

Ratings:
    +179
    first thing to try - open the PC and give it a clean, carefully. Check the fans in the case and then on the CPU and PSU. If there covered in dust and fluff this can cause overheating, especially in the warm weather we are having. once you have done this try it again before considering anything else - as the PC works fine for around an hour sometimes its unlikely a part has actually failed.
  5. reeve1987

Ratings:
    +112
    feman if its a psu fault it could be that thres a wireing fault and works a while because it takes a bit of time for componenents and cables to heat up.

but yeah give inside a clean as well. carefuly
  6. kdacey

kdacey Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure what PSU, ive never changed it though. It is shop bought (as such) from Mesh, 4 years old now. Asus M2N SLI Deluxu mobo, Corsair RAM, win xp, cpu temp after using that thingy is fine, just had a squinty at the power cables and they are looking a bit loose at the back housing so im guessing its a loose connection!
  7. reeve1987

Ratings:
    +112
    well if you reseat all the cables and see if it fixes the issue, iff not im willing tobeta psu replacement would fix it.