Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi-wiring speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ed_montecillo, Nov 23, 2005.

1. ed_montecillo

ed_montecillo Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    My speaker is bi-wireable. I heared it is good to bi-wire your speakers. Can i bi-wire my speakers to any receiver? Or do i need a receiver thats "bi-wireable"? Maybe elementary but am new to this and trying to get serious.

Thanks for any help.

Ed
  2. Hoggers

Hoggers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, :hiya:

Yes.. it does seem to make a difference to the sound (not huge amounts but enough) and you will need the speakers to be bi-wireable... not the amp.

You will then need bi-wire speaker cable (4 connections the speaker end into 2 on the amp connection end) and you are away.

You should be able to bi-wire speakers to any amp because the bi-wiring is done at the speaker rather than the amp.

Hope this helps,

Alastair
  3. alexs2

alexs2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,712
    Ed...by all means try it with some reasonably priced wire first.....there are some speakers this sort of thing works for,and others where no difference can be found,and I think it's interesting that one of the finest(and most expensive) of the high-end speaker manufacturers,Wilson Audio(not WilsonBenesch) have nothing to do with biwiring.
  4. KoThreads

KoThreads Active Member

Ratings:
    +129
    In my experience bi-wiring made no difference on three sets of speakers I have owned, except wasting money on cable.

Bi-amping on the other hand improved things quite noticeably.
  5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte Active Member

Ratings:
    +671
    personal experience for me is on a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 7.3's and a pair of Monitor Audio Silver S6's....both benefit from a bit of biwiring, not a massive difference, just the top end control seems to be a bit tighter.....

biamping them made quite a nice difference overall, sadly i cant biamp the MA's at the mo :-(
  6. ed_montecillo

ed_montecillo Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for the inputs. I have very limited space for my speakers and am currently using KEF Q Compact and wiring it with Monster Cable to my Amps. Will consider all inputs, all very helpful to me. Thanks again

Ed
  7. skinnyfat

skinnyfat Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    IMHO Kef's benefit from bi-wire

No need to use ultra expensive cord though. I'm using Formosa O2 free 4mm wire and it cost me less to run 2 lengths of this wire than to buy a single length of say Monster or QED and in my instance the results were better.

Attached Files: