1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Better to buy in UK or Dubai?

Discussion in 'Desktops' started by craigmorris, Jan 10, 2012.

1. craigmorris

craigmorris Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Moving out to Dubai from the UK in 3 months for a short time. Should I buy before I go or wait till I'm out there. Any pointers on where to browse? I know nothing about Dubai but heard a rumour it should be cheaper there.
  2. maf1970

maf1970 Active Member

Ratings:
    +254
    If you are just going to Dubai for a short time you would be better off with a laptop. What you also need to look at is the exchange rate and that they sometimes have different model range for certain makers. This could cause a problem for support when back here.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. kimmetje

kimmetje Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Craig, I am based in Belgium but am purchasing my system across four different countries (US, UK, DE, FR), what I just do is decide the components I want and put it in an excel sheet, and then do compare and contrasts between my different suppliers and have an exchange rate calculator built into my sheet so I can compare apples with apples rather than with oranges.

That should help you sort out Dubai vs UK :D

It leads to some surprises doing it that way, but then at least you're 100% sure of your purchase.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. craigmorris

craigmorris Member

Ratings:
    +1
    A bullish approach. I know who I'd buy from in the UK but have no idea in Dubai so was hoping for a few pointers about a website or two to look up out there. Know a laptop would make more sense but think I'd enjoy using a desktop more.
  5. maf1970

maf1970 Active Member

Ratings:
    +254
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. kimmetje

kimmetje Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Indeed :) Whenever an investment hits a certain point, I tend to want to go all out on the research, and that includes price research :thumbsup:, might as well be a knowledgeable consumer!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. mebz

mebz Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I've been to Dubai many times and also have friends out there. In the past, everything I could buy out there, would be cheaper on the net in the UK. Also, with increased High street competition in the UK, I'm sure Currys/PCW/Comet are cheaper than their counterparts in Dubai.

You'd have to check the details for yourself, but maybe you could get the VAT back if you purchased from here and claimed that you would not be bringing the PC/Laptop back in the country
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. DawsonsAcc

DawsonsAcc Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Could I suggest that whichever option you go for, factor in getting one with an international warranty
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Monty Burns

Monty Burns Member

Ratings:
    +136
    Craig, i've got a very similar dilema as Im almost certainly moving to Qatar in a couple of weeks.

i've decided to strip my I7 box down to mobo+memory+cpu, heatsync, SSD, GFX card. I'm going to wrap these "4 components" in some of that plastic static proof stuff and carry it as hand luggage. In this form they should actually take very little space. Once out there I just need a new case and psu, job done!

One warning though. I've been told by the team out in Doha that I should take a UK keyboard as ALL the keyboards they have found in Doha look aweful as they have Arabic/US mix ... this is one for the suitcase.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. kimmetje

kimmetje Member

Ratings:
    +31
    I once flew a subwoofer with me from Newcastle to Belgium in its original packing. I was given an alternative place to drop off the box due to its fragility and weight and I had to pick it up in a seperate area upon arrival in Brussels. The box didn't have a single scratch more than when I dropped it off. So maybe it's worth checking with the airline you're flying with whether they can arrange something similar for you for your fragile shipment rather than having to dis-assemble the thing with all the risks that that entails.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Monty Burns

Monty Burns Member

Ratings:
    +136
    Thats interesting. I've never worked in Newcastle airport but here in LGW/LHR, the only way you might get that is by a customer service desk? They would then have to take that through staff search after attaching an LPC (bag tag). Can't help think that would break some IATA/DfT rules. Did YOU carry it through security and then hand it over to a customer service desk airside?

Its by no means impossible down here at the big airports but I would guess its unlikely....
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. kimmetje

kimmetje Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Indeed, I even remember not having made a call before I did this.

I just checked in, and then they had me drop the woofer in an oversized luggage drop-in desk. I remember it having its own x-ray machine, so this is still before the passport check and personal x-ray check.

I guess it then goes through the security checks I guess the same way as the rest of the luggage?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Monty Burns

Monty Burns Member

Ratings:
    +136
    Yeah that will be the Out Of Guage line (OOG). Don't expect that at LHR or LGW, the OOG lines are quite big in some terminals and involve lots of turns etc which would love you pc/sub to bounce off them! :laugh: The new Terminal 2 OOG even has a hoist (lift) involved! (once its built :smashin:)

If you are going from a smaller airport, chances are that the OOG will just be an X-ray and a couple of straight conveyors so, yeah, thats a good idea.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. kimmetje

kimmetje Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Aha, I didn't realise I had been that lucky! Though Brussels Airport is a pretty big airport, so surprised on that end there wasn't any problems :D
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. tintin123

tintin123 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    If you read airlines T&C re luggage then they won't cover you for electronic goods in hold luggage. I took a desktop to Spain once. Stripped all the parts out of the case and took as hand luggage. Then put desktop case in suitcase and stuffed it full of clothes. Slightly mad but worked.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. craigmorris

craigmorris Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys. Having read your thoughts and spoken to one or two people out there I've decided to buy a chillblast system (ordered yesterday) and have it shipped out with the furniture. Thank you for all the advice. Much appreciated.
  17. Monty Burns

Monty Burns Member

Ratings:
    +136
    To go slightly off topic, would you mind telling me how furniture your moving and how much its costing? (As said, I'm moving to Qatar very shortly)
  18. craigmorris

craigmorris Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just to confirm, I was much better off buying my PC in the UK and as we had furniture to ship out anyway it went with that and saved a lot of money.
  19. yazooo

yazooo Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Hey, similar situation for me, am moving to Oman. How have you found prices in Dubai? Do you use a shipping forwarding company for buying stuff in the UK and getting it sent out to you, do you pay VAT on that?
  20. hippo99

hippo99 Active Member

Ratings:
    +992
    :eek:
    Did it take 2 years for your PC/furniture to arrive in Dubai? :p;)
    • Like Like x 1