Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best zoom compact?!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Laubi02, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Laubi02

Laubi02 Active Member

Ratings:
    +273
    hi all,

my ricoh R8 just decided to break and now am looking for a new one.

The 2 main aspects i want from this new camera is a high zoom and good at snap shots or fast shutter speed.

from what ive looked, apparently the Sony HX9V may be a good candidate but was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions?

I hate going to big footy games and not being able to take a nice clear picture of players! *flicking through my album of blury messi photos)

hoping to spend between £100-£200 but may go a bit higher

Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX9V review | from TechRadar's expert reviews of Compact cameras
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  2. BubbleDouble

BubbleDouble Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +1,361
    Budget?
  3. Laubi02

Laubi02 Active Member

Ratings:
    +273
    sorry, ummm hoping between £100-£200 - may go slightly higher if the benefits are worth it :p
  4. twist

twist Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,618
    Tz10
  5. Laubi02

Laubi02 Active Member

Ratings:
    +273
    yeah, i thought about this as its quite popular but am worried its only a 12x zoom - my ricoh was an 8x and found it doesnt zoom far enough.

i also found this which has an 18x zoom!!!!
    Samsung WB750 Review | PhotographyBLOG
  6. twist

twist Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,618
  7. Demon

Demon Member

Ratings:
    +58
    There is quite some choice in the 'pocketable' superzoom..

The compromises all of them make are lack of good manual controls, and pixel level detail is just OK, but you do get a flexible happy snapper!

The usual candidates are the canon SX220/SX230 which just shades the others for absolute pixel peeping ability, the Nikon S9100, the Fuji FXR600 and the Sony HX9V.

I'm very impressed with the Sony HX9V, the features, build quality and video are outstanding and on that same blog, it scores even higher then the Samsung and they class is as 'essential - 5 stars'..

If you want something more serious, then you really should look at the smaller zooms, especially camera's like the outgoing Canon S95, or obviously the raft of larger superzooms..
  8. Laubi02

Laubi02 Active Member

Ratings:
    +273
    That looks a bit too big to carry around, otherwise, i'd get an SLR but i like the fact you can just put compacts in your pocket

yeah, i understand from what ive looked that smaller zooms do create better quality images but im not a perfectionist and I was really looking at voiding any annoyances i had with my ricoh which were zoom and avoid blurry subjects

so you think the sonys the best out of your lot or the canons?
  9. Demon

Demon Member

Ratings:
    +58
    It depends on the individual and what they want out of camera, pop into Jessops and have a play with them!

I do like the HX9V though, and can highly recommend it. It's still very near the top in terms of image quality, but has the excellent added features that all work as well as you could want, the build quality and ergonomics are top notch in it's class, and then the icing on the cake is the video ability which for a £200 is pretty exceptional..

I've even learn to stop pixel peeping, and not zoom in past about 80% where it actually holds up very well indeed with a mass of detail and usually decent exposure and colours.. I now use it for all the trips out where it's far more convenient to be able to carry it in your pocket!
  10. DolbyDan

DolbyDan Member

Ratings:
    +216
    Vote for either Canon SX220 HS or Nikon S9100
  11. FallOutBoy

FallOutBoy Active Member

Ratings:
    +417
    Yup, Canon Powershot SX230 HS (or SX220 if you don't want the GPS) or the Sony HX9V. Both are great cameras, good image quality, powerful zooms, and under or around £200 now.
    The Canon is being replaced with the new SX260 which has a bigger zoom, but will be out of your budget.

Panasonic TZ8 is the same as TZ10 but with a smaller screen and no GPS, it's only £109.99 in Argos at the moment!
  12. Chris23

Chris23 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I think that you will find that the SX220 has a 24-120mm 35mm equivalent lens and the SX230 has 28-224mm. This matters more than the GPS for the use specified.

The Sony HX9v is 24-384mm and the other camera that is often recommended is the Nikon S9100 which has 25-450mm
  13. FallOutBoy

FallOutBoy Active Member

Ratings:
    +417
    Really?! Canon Powershot SX230 HS and SX220 HS :nono:
  14. Chris23

Chris23 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  15. Anastie

Anastie Member

Ratings:
    +180
    I was in a similar position and I have spent weeks reading up on various cameras.

I have had in interest in photography for over 30 years and in the past few years have gone from a superzoom, to a Nikon D40 to a Canon 450D and a few lenses to an S95 and now to a newly purchased Sony HX9V.

I loved the S95 and changed it for one reason only and that was a need for a longer zoom. After narrowing my choice down to the following cameras FZ150, P510, SX230 / 220 and an SX40

I tried them all and decided that going for a bridge camera was a backward step for me as I had already done that with an FZ18 and got sick of a large camera.

So long story short armed with a memory card I tested the Canon SX220 / 230 and the HX9V. Took the same test shots in the shop at the same settings and brought it home to compare.

I ended up getting the Sony HX9v. Pixel peepers may find the SX220 / 230 better under close examination but day to day the Sony's extra features and solid feel with a few bonus's such as background defocus and panoramic options. The HX9V won.

On my 22" computer monitor they do not show excessive noise compression, the colours are fine and the different features make this a no regret purchase for me. The zoom and focus speeds are excellent.

Do I regret my purchase? Not one bit.
  16. Laubi02

Laubi02 Active Member

Ratings:
    +273
    Thanks guys, a lot of helpful comments and definately looks like its the Sony HX9v or Canon SX230!

I had a look at both and quite like the sound of "Backlight correction" and "hand-held twilight" mode which could be useful!

hopefully if i see one for maybe under £200, i may be tempted. I also notice that nikon is releasing a 42x optical camera!!!!!!

I am also interested upon looking at that, the nikon P500 for a similar price range as the sony. anyone with any experience with these bad boys?

Nikon Coolpix P500 Digital Camera review - Trusted Reviews
  17. Anastie

Anastie Member

Ratings:
    +180
    It was the background defocus and panorama that initially tempted me. I really missed being able to get good bokeh with a compact. The HX9v manages reasonable out of focus background albeit it software driven. I held the Nikon you mention but i did not like the size.

The Canon 220 is the same as the 230 minus GPS and its under 200 quid. As previously said if you pixel peep its better than the HX9V. But when I tested I went for the Sony
  18. Laubi02

Laubi02 Active Member

Ratings:
    +273
    Yeah, im assuming all the GPS does is tell you where the photo was taken? In which case, i dont really need.

You say you miss the bokeh? which compact provided you that which is better than the sony?

the sony does sound nice but worried the 16x doesnt zoom far enough :(
  19. Anastie

Anastie Member

Ratings:
    +180
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Suave

Suave Active Member

Ratings:
    +342
    Hi,

I was in the very same position as you & after much help & guidance from folks over here, I got myself the Sony DSC-HX9 yesterday!

Suave!
  21. Laubi02

Laubi02 Active Member

Ratings:
    +273
    Welcome to the discussion Suave - well, peeps helping me out thread.

hows the sony? 3 main things im wondering, hows the snap shot quality? and zoom? and both those things in low light?
  22. sleekyG

sleekyG Member

Ratings:
    +143
    Coolpix S9100 and HX9V are my top picks. Try to feel it as well in your hand. That counts when choosing a camera in my opinion. ;)
  23. Laubi02

Laubi02 Active Member

Ratings:
    +273
    hmm interesting, personally, thought the panasonic lumix or canons were gonna be most popular at the star but looks like the sonys getting more and more votes!! still, hoping to hear first hand review from suave ;)
  24. Demon

Demon Member

Ratings:
    +58
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. Suave

Suave Active Member

Ratings:
    +342
    Hi,

I really have not played around very much on it but the image quality is very good & the flash is just freaking amazing - blows the flash on my canon G9 apart in every way - it is staggering at how powerful it is for such a small flash & camera.

I took pics in almost complete darkness last night & the flash fully filled the entire picture as if there was normal light! The battery is very small compared to my G9 ones.

I do not like the fact there is no way to attach a neck strap, the charger supplied is *****, & there is no user manual/guide at all supplied whether paper copy or even on the disc. Very poor show from Sony for a top range, flagship camera bt in the big scheme of things, I guess those might be over looked by the talented & more knowledgable folks on here!

Suave!
  26. Demon

Demon Member

Ratings:
    +58
    My HX9V came with a small paper 'user guide' and a full user guide on CD?

The charger is just effectively a USB lead... it came with a small USB 'box' but I just plug it into one of the myriad of USB plug in chargers I have for all the phones/tablets in the house. But agree, the rather bulky/seperate mains lead charger should have been a plug in jobbie!

I guess coming from the G9, a neck strap would be usefulish, but I guess it's just the normal 'compact zoom' kind of thing, you could use a lanyard around your neck and leave it dangling, I've seen a few people doing this, and it probably looks a little better then a massive strap for a tiny camera! :)
  27. Suave

Suave Active Member

Ratings:
    +342

Hi!

Man, I bought mine from Jessops & they told me that Sony now no longer provide User Guides & it all has to be done online!! Anyway you could burn/email me a copy of the User Guide from your disc? Mine has none except for links that take you online to the Sony website! I will owe you big time!

Suave!
  28. Laubi02

Laubi02 Active Member

Ratings:
    +273
    nice to see! :D

well i am quite tempted by the new range especially the added 20x potical but im not sure whether its worth another £100 or so for the extra 4x :confused:

though there is a more affordable one but has the same zoom :(

29. Suave

Suave Active Member

Ratings:
    +342
    Hi,

I too was mad as hell initially as a couple of days after I bought the HX9, Sony announce new models. After cursing my karma & getting over the disappointment, I thought about it - the HX9 replacement really does not offer anything "much better" & most do not like that it is 18.1mp?

Also, the new models will not be out for some time, will be expensive & not likely to be discounted for many months. Spending around £200 on a top range all singing, all dancing is doable for me for a small compact travel camera but when the price gets to £300-£400, it would make me think of long & hard!

Suave!
  30. Laubi02

Laubi02 Active Member

Ratings:
    +273
    :laugh:

I can understand that! :D but like you said, its probably not worth that extra £100-£200 just for zoom features and few extra mp's! and im sure 16.2mp will be enough for me.

the only thing i may be envious of is the extra zoom. do people know the diffrence between 16x and a 20x?