Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best way to get LCD Screen fixed ?

Discussion in 'Camcorders & Video Editing' started by zorba11, Mar 11, 2009.

1. zorba11

zorba11 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My partner's cam is a Samsung VP-D352.

Its been outta action this past 18mths as the LCD screen just stopped working.

Any ideas?

We could I guess send it off to Samsung, but are there other alternatives?

What will it cost us, approx? and is it even worth doing ?
    (if the cost of parts & labour starts to approach the cost of a newer model, might as well upgrade...)

many thanks
  2. senu

senu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,978
    Imnot sure what Samsung will quote but JVC quoted £150 ex vat for one I needed fixed earlier
    I didnt bother as it was 3 years old and was £400 new
    YMMV
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. zorba11

zorba11 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    called Samsung repairs and they referred me onto their service partners here in N. Ireland.

They said they'd take it in ok, but since camcorder repairs are so involved "because of how they're put together", any repairs they see <£150 they will go ahead and do WITHOUT getting my go-ahead.

I'm a business-man myself and can understand where they're coming from. If it takes 1hr to figure out you need a new gromit at £50, and the customer backs out, that's 1hr labour + 15mins sales/cust service time lost..

The rig cost £250 about 3 years ago, so I'm sure £150 would buy the equivalent or beter in today's market. Though I'd hope that a new LCD screen would be less than £150, but you never know. Then again that's what u were quoted by JVC :)

I'll probably leave it, and just upgrade.
  4. senu

senu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,978
    Chris (Chrishull3) more recently had the LCD on his Sony HC1 HDV camcorder fixed , He might be able to say for how much
    • Thanks Thanks x 1