Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best video compression codec for small file size

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by raigraphixs, Feb 23, 2008.

1. raigraphixs

raigraphixs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,817
    hi,

What's the best video compression codec for small file size and getting good quality video.

i have a 8min - 81mb video 640x480. I want to compress smaller file size, and maybe put up on web.

Do you have a favourite export format that compresses well without artifacts?
  2. PharCyder

PharCyder Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You'll want to be using H.264 to encode your files with the quality available at the smallest size.

VisualHub will do what you're after and can export to lots of web friendly formats.
  3. fmanness

fmanness Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would say that Divx has a good compression and would give a small file size. The problem, maybe, is that it's not free. Well, at least, you could try the 30days trial and then see if you buy it. I have done it myself and find interesting to have DVDs with hours of video which can be read by a normal DVD player with Divx support.
  4. PharCyder

PharCyder Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    xVid codecs are free to use. Handbreak will encode these for you at no charge.

If you're happy with just iPod compatible files, iSquint will do it for free also.

However Divx/xVid won't produce a video file at low bitrates (meaning small files as the OP requested) as good as H.264 will but will encode about twice the speed.

VisualHub is still IMO the best choice for the OP due to the output of so many different filetypes if H.264 isn't an option.
  5. OddBod82

OddBod82 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    sorry to hijack your thread but its on the same topic ... what codec will give the best quality picture (eg DVD at least, or HD) and smallest file size?
  6. dejongj

dejongj Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,359
    As said before h.264 is best quality vs compression in my opinion....
  7. OddBod82

OddBod82 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Can you recommend any software for the mac to rip dvd's at h.264? or do I rip with Mac the Rip and then convert to h.264? if so, how?

:confused::confused::confused:

many thanks
  8. PharCyder

PharCyder Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I've answered this twice in this thread :)

VisualHub or Handbreak will do this direct from the DVD

If you don't fancy that, use MacTheRiper to rip the video to your HD and then encode using VS or HB.