Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best seats in bfi imax london?

Discussion in 'General Chat Forum' started by kevcampbell, Jun 10, 2012.

1. kevcampbell

kevcampbell Active Member

Ratings:
    +30
    going to the bfi imax cinema for the first time in my life next month to see the dark knight rises but need some good advice on where to sit as i dont want to be too close to the screen so that i have eye strain and feel like i have a broken neck halfway through the movie

usually in a normal cinema i would sit about halfway back, so my neck is fairly straight and my eyes are not strained

where would people recommend to sit in bfi imax in london?

i heard the screen is absolutely huge

thanks
  2. Chox1988

Chox1988 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,986
    premium seats or further back, in the centre horizontally, have been a few times and any closer is bloody horrid.

you will love it, the screen is massive, saw the first dark knight there and its my favourite film experience, the imax scenes are unreal.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  3. Ian J

Ian J New Member

Ratings:
    +4,980
    The best seats in the Birmingham Imax were in the centre of the premier seats at the back
  4. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE Active Member

Ratings:
    +291
    Right at the back in the middle for IMAX Waterloo.
  5. Chox1988

Ratings:
    +6,986
    i'd say thats a bit to far back imo, personally bang in the middle of the premiums for me means my visual field is perfectly filled and my heads at the right level, that said further back from there are still great seats imo.

Its almost impossible to be to far back but it is to easy to be sat to close.
  6. Coffin

Coffin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,038
    I paid a premium price to watch Avatar 3d at Waterloo IMAX, sat dead centre about 5/8ths of the way back

The film was poor but the experience spectacular

I also watched TDK at the same venue, slightly further back and to the left side. It was still good but not as 'prefect'
  7. kevcampbell

Ratings:
    +30
    maybe i will go for a couple of rows from the back then. not the furthest back but 2 row in front of that
  8. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE Active Member

Ratings:
    +291
    I find if I am in the middle I end up looking up and too much side to side when there is a lot of action. There is just too much to follow. Don't know how people who sit at the front cope!
  9. Chox1988

Ratings:
    +6,986
    Agree on the whole, i have to be in the back third. I booked tickets to see transformers there and all that was left was at the front, could see about 1/6 of the screen while cricking my neck up :rotfl:. Had to get up and move back to some seats where the people didnt turn up.
  10. Dubster

Dubster Member

Ratings:
    +83
    Dont do what i did and sit near the speakers as they are fecking LOUD!!..Never heard speakers as loud as the bfi imax ones.
  11. kevcampbell

Ratings:
    +30
    what is the odeon imax like, what row is best for odeon imax in greenwich?

dont think im going to be able to book in tickets with bfi imax, i want to see TDKR on release day, do not think that is going to happen
  12. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,496
    Quick bump as not been to BFI Imax @ Waterloo since the refurbishment.

Noting new "double premium seats" which the blurb describes as wider sofa style, separated by an armrest (presumably for the wife, the mistress, a sibling or strangers that you can stand etc).

(1) Are they worth the premium on the premium seats?

But may not get a say as TDKR tickets are selling like hotcakes!

(2) Odeon have taken over ticketing and looking at the booking page, I assume you still need to book 2x Adult tickets in Row P? The description uses the plural form which may be confusing for my half-awake Sunday brain :blush:

Thanks (random screenshot for reference)

Attached Files:

13. Chox1988

Ratings:
    +6,986
    Theyre worth it for their location in the cinema rather than them being hugely more comfortable than normal seats- normal are more than comfortable enough, and yes you still need to get 2x, dear prices but batman on the imax screen sat in the right spot was utterly stunning.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,496
    Normal seats are fine for me, but as you say it is about location location... location. Been to Imax many times. For God's sake people going for the first time: do not sit near the front or you will leave the showing with mild whiplash :laugh:
  15. Grangey.

Grangey. Active Member

Ratings:
    +782
    Ive had to book at the side.... im hoping the experience is still enjoyable!
  16. kopchoir

kopchoir Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,098
    Whats the seats like in the gallery??
    Havent been to the IMAX in years if im honest been getting along with a vue-extreme screen.
    Is the Odeon premiere club worth joining for an extra tenner,my little one is going to portugal on thursday for 3 weeks holiday so me and the wife have some us time.
    With her being 8 months pregnant whats the best seats,sometimes VIP seats arent all they are cracked up to be IMO
  17. R24

R24 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i want to book cinema tickets but best seats are sold out....please help me on deciding which are best seats to select.

row H on the far right hand side any good?

or row J or M again far right?

or should i wait to book middle seats?