Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best resolution from PC to Viera PE30 ?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming Forum' started by Flystar, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Flystar

Flystar Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, I am new to this forum and would like to thank all for help in deciding which plasma to buy. Today I am the proud owner of a Panasonic Viera TH42PE30 :clap: and would like to know if I have connected my PC to it for the sharpest picture available.

I have purchased a 5 metre VGA cable and am outputing from my Nvidia Geforce4 Ti4200. I notice in the reviews etc. that the TV takes 720p through the pc VGA connection only. I have therefore set resolution to 1280 x 720 (@ 60htz). I have been playing games like Counter-Strike Source in widescreen and they take up the full picture and look amazing, PC monitor perfect!! However, when surfing the net in this resolution I notice that the odd few lines of text on each page a bit blurry but still readable.

When I set the resolution to 848 x 480 (my graphics card doesn't do 852 x 480) the sharpness of the text etc. is a bit clearer and I get no blurry lines but the games do not look as good at this lower resolution. I notice that the native resolution of the TV is 1024 x 768 and although I can play games in this res, it is not true widescreen and 1280 x 720 looks crisper. Someone mentioned using Powerstrip but why do I need this if I can output 1280 x 720 anyway?

Could anyone advise as to the best resolution and refresh rate to choose. Also, could the length of my VGA cable be causing slight quality issues when surfing?

Many thanks for your help

Fly
  2. hornydragon

hornydragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,412
    native res of UK spec TH-42PE30B is 852x480..... I wish it was 1024x768.....where did you get that from....... Basically for text you do need to use 840x480 res or set profile for it to use large text and then you will get away woth the 1280x720 that looks so good for games.....
  3. Flystar

Flystar Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Oops, I think I mis-read that one from a review of the 50" pe30 or something.

Cheers.

Fly
  4. hornydragon

hornydragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,412
    50PV30 is a 13366x768 panel which is why i was so confused........ Pio 43" is 1024x768
  5. Mr.D

Mr.D Active Member

Ratings:
    +954
    I use 856x480 on my series 5 plasma . Lose 2 pixels off each side ...no great loss. This is quite a commonly supported res on lots of graphics cards these day meaning you don't have to impliment them through powerstrip (although powerstrip has other useful features).

Take a look at teh HTPC forum for more in depth info.
  6. AML

AML Active Member

Ratings:
    +229
    I had some problems with my Monitor/TV too.
    Im using and LG 30" LCD which has DVi and VGA as well as Component.

I use the component for game consoles like the XBox and it gives me up to 1080i.

When i use the DVi (digital) for the PC my max ressolution is 1024X768.

However when I use VGA (analog) I can get the ress up to 1280X1024.

Its quite weird as when I had my older 9800 pro instaled I could use the higher resolution thru DVi aswell.

Any idea why with the new card (6800GT) I cant get it higher than 1024X768 thru DVi?
  7. Mr.D

Mr.D Active Member

Ratings:
    +954
    Its probably reading vesa timing data from the monitor thats telling it what the monitor can handle (this might be a little out of date with restrict to older standard formats even thought the device can handle other ones) . Try looking at your display settings and deselecting hide resolutions that this monitor doesn't support or deselect detect supported resolutions automatically (the wording may differ but it should be obvious).

You can also force another monitor driver ( the sony w900 is a good standard as it will unlock pretty much every resolution out there).
  8. AML

AML Active Member

Ratings:
    +229
    I tried those sony drivers you mentioned and also tried unticking the "hide resolution" box.

I can set the monitor thru DVi to higher resolutions but the monitor displays dodgy rainbow coloured lines.

They only dissapear once i go back to 1024X768.

I cant do anything with those lines in the way!

Do you know how to eliminate those lines?
  9. Mr.D

Mr.D Active Member

Ratings:
    +954
    try the clock phase adjustment . Also its critical that you adjust the monitor correctly for optimal pixel alignment using the position and size controls.

You may also just hit resolutions that the panel doesn't like.
  10. Flystar

Flystar Member

Ratings:
    +2
    After reading all about ferrite cores I have installed the little critters on every power lead that never had one built in (NTL Box, Panny DMR-E55, Denon DHT-500SD) and two on my PC to Viera 5 metre VGA cable, which suprisingly didn't come with any fitted.

Result :thumbsup:

Dunno if it is psychological but the general Viera PQ seems better to me, especially when viewing PC images and browsing the net.

Cheers

Fly.
  11. freakoftheweek

freakoftheweek Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

I just bought a cable to attach my laptop to my Viera TH42PV500 (I think that's the model number) and no matter what setting I change my resolution to the picture never fills the entire screen - it's 4:3, with a wide resolution setting I just get black bars above and below. If I set the TV aspect to 16:9 it's just a stretched 4:3 picture. Any thoughts?

Jonny
  12. Flystar

Flystar Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Try setting the refresh rate on your laptop graphics card to 60 hertz and that should do it. Anything over 60 and mine does the same. Shouldn't have any adverse effects these settings are only really used for CRT's.

Fly