1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best reflective paint for a large wooden screen?!

Discussion in 'Projector Screens' started by peanutismint, Jan 29, 2012.

1. peanutismint

peanutismint Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This might disgust members of this forum but we're trying out a new large-screen solution at the venue where I work by just projecting onto some wood panelling we've painted. We used to have a custom-built 300" screen made from aluminium scaffold tubing and a large piece of screen material bought from the USA. We're trialling these wooden boards as they're a lot easier to put up/take down (which is an important factor for us).

[​IMG]

At the moment it's just painted with a white, medium-gloss which doesn't look too bad (we use a Sanyo XP 50 projector) but we're needing to re-paint and wondered if there was a better reflective paint solution for our panels? We've looked at this 'Goo' stuff but it seems ludicrously expensive (which is fine, if it's worth the money!), and also some 'Mighty Brighty' stuff which is cheaper but doesn't seem as favoured from a quick read of these boards. I've also read what people have said about mixing your own (Dulux Icestorm, this Black Widow stuff etc...) but I'm not sure if these mixes will work as well on wood panels.... as you can see from the picture above, each panel was painted pretty quickly to meet a deadline so there's a slight discrepancy between the colour of each board....it looks okay though! Check it out:

[​IMG]

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what our best hope would be for a good, even coat of reflective paint? In case it matters, we operate in a very dark room with minimal ambient light....
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot Active Member

Ratings:
    +788
    What's the screen ratio - looks a lot wider than 2.4:1. :)

Glossy surfaces can tend to hot spot and make the centre noticeably brighter than the surrounding parts of the screen which can be distracting to some, so usually a matt white or slightly reflective paint like you appear to be using already should be enough. Just try giving the boards a few more coats to get the finish more uniform and you should be OK.

Out of curiosity, what pj are you using, and is the image bright enough for you at that size?

Gary
  3. peanutismint

peanutismint Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep - it's quite a wide one! :) Can't remember exactly; think we worked down to something like 7:2?! Yep we're definitely going to shy away from a glossy finish, was just wondering which of the reflective paints mentioned would work best or whether just plain old Dulux would suffice?

As mentioned in the post, the projector is a Sanyo XP50 - it is pretty bright; we have two of them so could theoretically double-stack for extra brightness if required...

In case you're interested, here's some pics of the 'old' screen:

[​IMG]

...and the back......

[​IMG]

Nicer looking/shape but it's a right pain in the ass to put together/rig up!! :)
  4. Gary Lightfoot

Ratings:
    +788
    Impressive :)

I can see why you need something that's a bit quicker and easier to put up each time if you can't leave it in place.

There are a few people here and over on avsforum who have experimented with different paints to try and get some gain without the drawbacks of hotspotting, so you could try the search function and see what comes up.

Why do you need a screen that is wider than most films (3.5:1)? You'd need less brightness if you kept the height and reduced the width to something like 2.40:1 otherwise you're cropping the top and bottom of the film. Or of course you could increase the height to get 2.4 and stack your pjs as you suggest if the brightness isn't enough for you. Currently your image brightness is around that of a commercial theatre or a bit brighter.

Gary
  5. peanutismint

peanutismint Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah it's not the ideal situation but it's the best we're going to get in a busy music venue with different events every night... i'll have a search for paint formulas; the screen size/ratio isn't so much tailored for films so much as it is just so that it 'looks good' for our clubnights and such; I've made some trippy visuals that are fit to the size of the boards so the projecting of films for events is something of an afterthought... We could of course make the screen smaller by only putting up a few of the boards for these film events I suppose; at the moment we're not cropping films but rather feeding them through VLC using custom aspect ratios to 'stretch'/squash them into the size we want, which is not tooo far off cinema aspect ratio so it doesn't make people look particularly squashed...but I agree it could be better. It would be impractical to increase the height but as you say if we made it slightly smaller width-wise we could get away with less brightness - I might try this.

Thanks for all the input! :)

Oh - and here's a video of it in action!! You can see the joins in the boards during 'lighter' sections of the movie but once you'd been watching for a while you kinda forget they're there. We can improve this!!

Film Club presents Independence Day - YouTube
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  6. Gary Lightfoot

Ratings:
    +788
    Sounds and looks like a great club you have going on there!

Have fun :)

Gary
    • Thanks Thanks x 1