Best portable TV for bedroom / kitchen TV for under £200... Panasonic TX-L19D28?

SteveAWOL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been looking to purchase a small (19" approx) TV set with good PQ as a gift for my mum which she can use in the kitchen and is also light enough for her to move to guest bedroom when required.

I noticed that a local Tesco store had these Panasonic TX-L19D28 sets in White (BW) and Purple (BP) reduced to £179 and was tempted to purchase one but just thought I'd better check to see if there's anything better out there for the money...

As I see that this model got good reviews back when it was released last autumn but are there better alternatives for this sort of money that I should be looking at purchasing instead?

PS: Just noticed that Tesco Direct has the purple set for £149 Panasonic 19D28BP 19 inch Widescreen HD Ready LED TV with Freeview. Purple - Tesco.Direct

SteveAWOL

Last edited:
Sound quality can be quite poor on the smaller sets, so I wouldn't buy one without watching/listening to them in a store first.

I auditioned 19 and 22" LCDs at the start of last year and found the sound quality on the Samsung sets to be quite poor - the 22" LG LCD I ended up with sounded a lot better than the Samsung equivalent.

I didn't audition the 19" Panasonic LCD at the time because it was prohibitively expensive (£300+ IIRC !)

Sound quality can be quite poor on the smaller sets, so I wouldn't buy one without watching/listening to them in a store first.

I auditioned 19 and 22" LCDs at the start of last year and found the sound quality on the Samsung sets to be quite poor - the 22" LG LCD I ended up with sounded a lot better than the Samsung equivalent.

I didn't audition the 19" Panasonic LCD at the time because it was prohibitively expensive (£300+ IIRC !)

Yeah, I was shocked to see that the RRP when it was reviewed was £400! Hopefully it hasn't been so heavily discounted due to some design flaw that has since become apparent...

I've read that the SQ ain't great on the Panny but to be expected from a flat panel of that size I suppose. I might try and pop into a Tesco and demo a TV out tomorrow but just know if I wait that all the sets will sell out and the next cheapest price I've seen is around £200 :rolleyes:

Yeah, I was shocked to see that the RRP when it was reviewed was £400! Hopefully it hasn't been so heavily discounted due to some design flaw that has since become apparent...

It's a 2010 model, so that's presumably why it's been discounted. The purple set is discontinued at Tesco, incidentally.

I might try and pop into a Tesco and demo a TV out tomorrow but just know if I wait that all the sets will sell out and the next cheapest price I've seen is around £200 :rolleyes:

I don't think even the larger Tesco stores sell all the models advertised online so if you have to travel any distance, I'd ring ahead first.

You might have more chance of finding it at Comet/Curries etc.

If you can't get hold of one for less than £200, then there are plenty of 19" LG and Samsung LCDs in the £100-£200 region that offer far better value for money (check Richer Sounds)

I took the plunge and ordered the TX-L19D28BP for £149 before Tesco Direct "discontinued" it which I picked up yesterday (the Tesco Extra store I collected it from still had a few in stock at £179).

Hooked it up to Freeview and the PQ is very good (superior to my Sony Bravia KDL-32D3000 but not quite as forgiving of Freeview SD signal as Viera TH-37PX80B plasma).

When hooked up to Virgin+ HD I noticed a bit of motion blur when watching the football on Eurosport HD (once again it's superior to the D3000 but not quite as good as the PX80 imho).

The sound is perfectly adequate for a room 10'x12' (although the bass is understandably lacking in what is a portable set).

All in all I'm very happy with it, great value for £149 :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom