1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best PC temperature logger util.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GrahamC, Nov 11, 2005.

1. GrahamC

GrahamC Member

Ratings:
    +71
    I would like to find a good temperature logger program for my PC (new build). It needs to run at all times even when playing WoW/games etc and would ideally log CPU/Chipset/Gcard, any sugestions. :)
  2. nsherin

nsherin Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Not sure about monitoring graphics card temperatures, but for motherboards/CPUs, Motherboard Monitor is meant to be pretty good. I've got an Asus A8N-SLI board in my PC and I find the AsusProbe utility that was supplied with the board to work pretty well.
  3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2 Member

Ratings:
    +225
    Motherboard Manager 5. :)
  4. oxygenuk

oxygenuk New Member

Ratings:
    +15
    hi iv tried this program and its very einstein-ish

is there any simpler ones to understand?
  5. ~Kev H~

~Kev H~ Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I tried motherboard monitor and didnt get on with it. Also tried using NVidia's temp logger/display thing, but you couldnt minimize to the system tray.

Ended up using SpeedFan, it is very configurable, but to be honest it was beyond me. You can however download end-user submitted configuration settings, and the 2nd one of them I tried for my mobo worked. On mine I'm successfully monitoring Chassis temp, CPU temp, and one which i assume must be ambient.. (always around 22degC). This bit I really like is that you can set the target temp for all these things and then allow it to control the fan speeds itself to acheive the target.. so when you're just idling all the fan speeds drop down and my PC is very nearly silent :clap:

The charts tab allows you to log temps but I havent used that so couldnt tell you how good it is. See what you think - http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Kev

Attached Files:

6. GrahamC

GrahamC Member

Ratings:
    +71
    Thanks for the input guys.
  7. oxygenuk

oxygenuk New Member

Ratings:
    +15
    my average temp between temp1 and temp4 and hdd is about 34-38C

what temp should i look out for which is dangerous?

eg. "u should turn the pc off for 5 mins it reaches like 45C"

thanks in advance

ps: is there any way i can monitor my GPU as iv been gaming almost all day the past few days :eek: !
  8. ~Kev H~

~Kev H~ Member

Ratings:
    +0
    :eek:

I wouldnt worry about it, when you put your GPU, or CPU for that matter under full load its temperature does rise but only for a couple of minutes until the temperature difference between the heatsink and airflow is sufficient to dissipate the heat. Then things are stable, it wont just carry on getting hotter and hotter. < Provided you have good constant airflow through the case!

For the graphics card side of things I downloaded a bit of software called RivaTuner, this monitors all sorts of things like GPU temp, core speed, RAM speed etc. I havent found one bit of kit that monitors CPU and GPU temps in one app. You can also use RivaTuner to overclock your GPU, and it has included a quick test to check the overclock is stable before you apply it. I've got my 6800GT overclocked 14% to 400Mhz Core with 1100Mhz RAM and it runs fine, Idles at 59ºC, full load i've never logged above 68ºC.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

The CPU temp is the one you want to keep an eye on, but different CPU's have different maximum operating temperatures. Shouldnt think you'll need to worry about that unless you've overclocked? What CPU are you using?

Kev

EDIT -
    So as long as you have one of them it should work.
  9. mrmcdean

mrmcdean Member

Ratings:
    +27
    A word of warning with Speedfan...

I built my first PC a few months ago - small form factor Shuttle, and kept having problems with overheating so installed speedfan to help me monitor it, problem was the program continually altered my cpu speed to 1100 even though it should have been twice this. Took me ages to sort it out, dont ask me how I just followed advice on another forum (partly because I know very little about pc's).

Having said that, ive now had it running on my machine for a while with no more problems (touch wood :rolleyes: )