Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Monitor for Xbox?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Forum' started by Nick_, May 21, 2013.

1. Nick_

Nick_ Member

Ratings:
    +11
    In the market for a new monitor! I won't be using it for PC how ever, just Xbox and PS3. Usually i would just get a 26" TV, but don't want to pay extra for features (watching tv etc) i won't use, how ever if they are better for xbox/ps gaming i'm willing to get one.
    Anyone be able to help me in my search?

Thanks
  2. virtual_boy

virtual_boy Active Member

Ratings:
    +424
    It's not 26" but the BenQ RL2455HM is the MLG monitor of choice but if your budget can stretch to it I'd suggest the BenQ XL2411T.
    Last edited: May 21, 2013
  3. jwalsh82

jwalsh82 Active Member

Ratings:
    +271
    I've got the Dell S2740L and it is a joy. Also have a Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM which is fantastic too, but wanted something bigger for gaming.
  4. jwalsh82

jwalsh82 Active Member

Ratings:
    +271
  5. virtual_boy

Ratings:
    +424
  6. jwalsh82

jwalsh82 Active Member

Ratings:
    +271
    Sweet, thanks mate - I'm gonna do some research on that - was considering getting the BenQ.
  7. PA77ULY

PA77ULY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148
    I've currently got the BenQ GL2450HM, which was MLG's 2012 console gaming monitor and is a cracking monitor when used with the Xbox.

The RL2455HM is MLG's console gaming monitor for 2013 and it would appear the main difference between this and the GL2450HM is that it has a 1ms response time compared to the GL's 2ms as I understand it, which I really couldn't justify upgrading the monitor for.

However, a bigger point in my eyes is that the RL also has 2 x HDMI compared to the GL's 1 so if you're considering hooking up your Xbox and PS3 then I would seriously consider this. Overclockers UK now have them in stock @ £162 including DPD Next Day delivery and trying to find one right now in the UK is like the old needle in a haystack!

I wouldn't consider getting the XL2411 or 2420 as they are primarily designed for PC gaming with their 120hz refresh rate. I've also owned the 2420 and I can tell you now there was no difference whatsoever between that and my GL when gaming on the Xbox so save yourself some ££ and go for the RL2455HM.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2013
  8. wipe0wt

wipe0wt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have a problem here, I made an impulse buy on Friday so I could have my new monitor on saturday so that I could hook up to the PS3 and Xbox 360. I mainly bought to reduce eye strain and heard that the BenQ XL2420T helped with FPS because of 120 hz but now I've learned this wont help the 360 & ps3 since they run at 60hz so now Im wondering if I should send it back and get the BenQ XL2411T or BenQ GL2450HM even.....heres a link to amazonon these 3 http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr...652031&ie=UTF8&qid=1372541654&rnid=1632651031. on here the 2411 is second most popular also Amazon.co.uk: 24" - 25" - Gaming / Monitors: Computers & Accessories The main thing like I saw is to reduce eye strain, I've had TFT monitors before and they make my eyes bleed! The other thing is I will be getting the PS4 & Xbox one and which is one of the reasons I was buying a new monitor now, I had an lcd tv prior to this so dont even know about audio arrangements yet. I saw the last of us on the ps3 and its the second game since I bought Xcom for full price! I also wanted to know about eye strain, is IPS easier on the eyes than LED/TFT? I found some on amazon Amazon.co.uk: IPS - Gaming / Monitors: Computers & Accessories yes the ms is 5, but surely this is okay? This is my old set which I sold today LG 22LD350 22-inch Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV with Freeview: Amazon.co.uk: TV and I used to get bloodshot eyes even after like 1hr!!! So 3 things 1) best gaming monitor for console use 2) is 120hz important or should we consider the input lag more, will this also help eye strain? 3) should I get IPS tech to reduce eye strain? thanks, be good to know what to do as I have a monitor and a great game but cant play until I find out what to do, I dont mind sending it back if there is no need for it.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  9. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,275
    paragraphs?
  10. wipe0wt

wipe0wt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    strange it was formatted!
  11. wipe0wt

wipe0wt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well sorry but just edited it and still the same!!!
  12. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,275
    I'd see a GP if you're eyes are getting bloodshot from viewing a monitor. I honestly think that is the most important thing.

- Taking breaks from gaming
    - Using recommended eye drops from your G.P
    - Blinking more often
    - Positioning the monitor at the right distance so you don't strain to read text
    - Turning down brightness and contrast
    - Using a Semi-Gloss panel
    - Setting the correct lights in your gaming environment

All are suggestions from reading what's on the web. I can't recommend what monitor will reduce eye strain as I "think" that maybe caused by other factors and I'm have no knowledge in that area.

With a console and monitor setup the eye strain can be increased because of the limited field of view. This is not a problem if you're gaming a few feet away from a TV, but with a Desk monitor when you're less than a feet away it needs to be higher, (PC's compensate for this, consoles don't).

As for your questions:

1) best gaming monitor for console use
    2) is 120hz important or should we consider the input lag more, will this also help eye strain?

- 120hz, 144hz monitors are wasted on consoles. The GPU doesn't produce high enough framerates to warrant the need for one. If you're looking for a monitor for next gen then I believe the games will be native 1080p and running at 60FPS. So a 1080p 60Hz monitor will do. Will you be gaming in 3D?

3) should I get IPS tech to reduce eye strain? thanks, be good to know what to do as I have a monitor and a great game but cant play until I find out what to do, I dont mind sending it back if there is no need for it.

- Have a read of this thread for an explanation of the technologies:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/pc-g...-monitor-my-little-guide-11.html#post19240756

Also FYI Don't get mixed up between Input Lag and Response times. They are different and Input Lag measurements won't be stated on technical specs from what I know.

Response Time, Input Lag, And Final Words - Acer, Dell, LG, And Samsung: Four 23" LCD Monitors, Rounded-Up
  13. wipe0wt

wipe0wt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, no wont be gaming in 3D, I also read your guide but doesnt refer to eye strain I dont think.....would a bigger screen help matters?

All I know is on a crt screen or computer its the refresh rate, if its 60hz then goodbye eyeballs, bump it upto 75-85hz then problem goes away. I dont know why my last 22 inch lcd was a problem, strange one

think I should send my benq back and get the 2411 or try for an IPS model instead?

cheers
  14. majnu

majnu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,275
    If you think that lower refresh rates is a cause of your eye strain then there are new ones coming out from BenQ which may help. The XL2420TE has 2 advantages

(1) PWM-free mode for non-LightBoost. Good for easy eyes on desktop.
    (2) strobe mode for LightBoost. Good for motion blur elimination in games.

BenQ XL2420TE - 144Hz flicker-free

You can always try it out and return under DSR if it's not up to the job. But it does look great for gaming.

Hopefully someone can confirm but if the XBOX doesn't go above 60fps does that mean a 120Hz monitor will not be able to go above 60Hz?
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  15. wipe0wt

wipe0wt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Isnt the 2420 already flicker free? I wonder if I should try it out and return to amazon if no joy?
  16. wipe0wt

wipe0wt Member

Ratings:
    +0
  17. Hazee20

Hazee20 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    so did you end up getting the benq XL2420TE ?
  18. wipe0wt

wipe0wt Member

Ratings:
    +0
  19. virtual_boy

Ratings:
    +424
    You shouldn't need an adaptor as the built in power supply is auto switching, just get a new power cable with the correct plug (or cut the plug off and wire on a new one).