Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best mobile phone under £300?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by ijintheuk, Feb 23, 2012.

1. ijintheuk

ijintheuk Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi guys,

I have been searching for a while now and I'm a bit stuck. I am getting rid of my Orange San Francisco as it's too slow and the screen is too small. I maiinly use my phone for apps and games and surfing the internet. I have seen a few phones I like in my price range and wondered if you guys could give me your opinion on them.

The ones I am interested in are the Samsung Nexus S (nice screen, last years flagship model), Samsung Galaxy W (Fast processor and big screen) and HTC EVO 3D (Dual-core / Fast, big screen). I may be able to stretch my budget slightly and a couple a bit out of my budget I am interested in are the Samsung Galaxy S II and the HTC Sensation XE/XL. As I said I do have a £300 budget but the lower the price the better but I still want it to be the best value for money. I can probably get the Samsung Galaxy and Sensation used within my budget but I would much prefer to get the phone brand new and on the 3 network

Thanks alot
  2. verdigris

verdigris Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Asda have the HTC Evo 3D for £229 (plus £3 standard delivery), see HTC Evo 3D Android Mobile Phone | Phones | ASDA direct

That is a quite a good deal. However, if you really want the Galaxy S2, I would have thought you could get one in the next couple of months for less than £300, because we are entering a heavy phase of new releases with faster processors. Already, on 24-month contract, there are deals around £20 a month including, say, 200 minutes, lots of texts and 500MB to 1GB of data. Sounds like you only want SIM-free, but look out for a cheap contract with cashback or downgrade rights, which can sometimes be the cheapest way to acquire a phone. Keep looking at HotUKDeals in the Mobile section.

3. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,185
    A second hand Galaxy S2 would be the sensible idea with that budget and seemingly a desire to stick with Android. There is little benefit to having a brand new phone over a nearly-new one, IMO. But buying the phone second hand allows you to pair it with a cheaper SIM-Only contract.
  4. ijintheuk

ijintheuk Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Yes I am probably going to get a used Galaxy S II. Can get one buy it now £285 but will try and bid on some to see if I can get a cheaper one ;)
  5. ijintheuk

ijintheuk Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Okay, it's now down to either the Samsung Galaxy S II or the HTC EVO 3D.

Samsung Galaxy S II overall performs better. HTC has HTC sense and I can get it brand new for £230 instead of the £270 for the Galaxy S II used. Which would you guys go for? Bare in mind I'm only 16 so I don't have much money so I need to get the best value for money!
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  6. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,185
    The fact one is selling used for £40 more than a brand new model might give a clue to which is best :)

The Galaxy S2 is the best selling Android phone currently, for good reason too. I'm far from a Samsung fan, but it really is the best choice.
  7. Landouk

Landouk Active Member

Ratings:
    +24
    It's always worth checking the classifieds section on here, someone's selling a brand new XE for 300ish at the moment for example.
  8. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan Active Member

Ratings:
    +268
    This.

SGS2 is hands down the best phone you'll get for under £300. Forget the Nexus S. Even if you do desire AOSP Android on your phone, the CM9 build for the SGS2 is very close to being daily driver usable. The SGS2 with a good AOSP ICS build will be something special IMHO.