Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best ISP for gaming performance?

Discussion in 'Other Gaming Chat' started by SgtHartman, Nov 30, 2011.

1. SgtHartman

SgtHartman Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I am moving house and can no longer get Sky which I have been reasonably happy with. I have ordered Virgin as they offer speeds of 30mb/s via fibre optic. However, having read a bit more it seems that they are very bad at throttling and am concerned this is going to be an issue for Xbox Live.

I have looked at BE and they are offering around 8mb/s - obviously slower but they do not throttle at all. Is it worth me cancelling virgin and going for BE or will I not notice the difference? Apart from gaming only really use net for general surfing. Thanks
  2. Sanders79

Sanders79 Member

Ratings:
    +207
    I'm with Eclipse and have always found their customer service to be excellent. We can only get about 4Mbps on our copper line out in the countryside and it's more than adequate for gaming, browsing, iPlayer etc, all at the same time. In the evenings it drops to about 3Mbps and we don't notice any dip in real performance. They offer all kinds of connection types so might be worth a look. I think they are a bit expensive but worth it in my opinion.
  3. pug206206

pug206206 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    virgin offer the best internet and some of the best speeds if you willing to splash the cash
  4. Solar

Solar Active Member

Ratings:
    +424
    Virgin speed caps wont affect your gaming in the slightest.
    I'm on the old 10mb and I can download 3gb before I'm capped, I never use up even half that in a whole nights session. And even when I do get capped, the speed is more than enough for any game.
  5. TheNameIsJambo

TheNameIsJambo Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,463
    Virgin are the best ISP around if you can get Cable. The ye-olde PSTN copper wires are DREADFUL for internets, especially compared to fibre. I'm stuck on 600kBps in me and the girls flat at the minute, it's properly awful.

When I stayed at my mums (a while ago now) I had speeds of (minimum) 2000kBps. That's a whole 1400kilo bytes per second goodness I'm missing out on, at least! It also means if I download any games from Steam (circa 8GB) it takes forever!

Virgin Media have imposed some brutal limits recently though, but I think they only (explicitly) apply to file-sharing traffic, as opposed to VoIP or gaming, they are prioritised... I can't verify whether their traffic management policy affects applications like Steam or Origin. But that would really suck - You legitimately download a title only to have your internet cut off.. You'd probably have to ask Virgin.

Imagine being a 'Medium' customer, and you find yourself downloading a 16GB title from Steam. That will burn out the 'M' users for the whole month, completely and utterly, as they only get a 10GB cap per month!
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  6. Swinkid

Swinkid Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I probably get through that in 2 days to be honest - That's going to suck!
  7. Throttle

Throttle Member

Ratings:
    +81
    If your worried about usage limits you could always pay that bit extra and go with Virgin XXL service ( 50mb )

this is took from there site in reference to XXL

"your downstream usage excluding file sharing traffic (see below) remains unaffected and we'll soon be increasing your upload speeds from 1.5Mb to 5Mb. However during peak times we'll need to slow you back to 1.75Mb if your upload usage is particularly high."

I have XXL and find it very good overall rarely having any problems and sometimes i do download abit at times :rolleyes: ..Tbh if i had a 1.75mb upload limit thats far more than average upload anyhow.
  8. Swinkid

Swinkid Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thats the thing, i can't pay more than i do :p Will be looking for a new ISP if this happens... 10GB is TOO low..
  9. Throttle

Throttle Member

Ratings:
    +81
    Yea 10gb is very poor imo your not going too download much with that.. even my iPad has 20gb and thats for mobile usage ! :laugh:
  10. Swinkid

Swinkid Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thing is, Virgin media is well priced..

Eclipse is too expensive..

BT is ****

etc.. Who else is there? :/
  11. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,465
    Perform an online check for services available at your post code
  12. rcaudwell

rcaudwell Member

Ratings:
    +135
    With Be here (LLU), no complaints - get about 14mb, unlimited and never noticed any throttling. Thought things might go downhill when they became part of O2, but no noticeable problems.
    Customer services also seem OK (although have only contacted them once)
  13. Din0Su4r

Din0Su4r Member

Ratings:
    +9
    The throttle is for overall use, not specifically file sharing or other.

OP: You will be fine with the 10mb package and above from Virgin, I game constantly, with at least one other person in the house using the internet, and it is perfectly fast enough and I never get throttled. You may want to check how your area is for cable internet though, some are better than others.
  14. Miss Chief

Miss Chief Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,120
    I'm with sky for my broadband and although I live very close to my exchange I get the full on 20 meg sky offer. No throttling, traffic management or anything. Never had a problem and its good value too.
  15. jabintendo

jabintendo Member

Ratings:
    +233
    i was on the 50mb internet with virgin and have now downgraded to 10mb with no noticeable difference.
    Plus i download tv shows during somedays as well
  16. Hawklord

Hawklord Active Member

Ratings:
    +169
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Foster

Foster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,180
    [​IMG]
  18. jimm3h

jimm3h Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What ISP are you with? And what deal/package are you on?

Same to Foster, what are you on?
  19. bearman3784

bearman3784 Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,603
    read the second from bottom line on the speed test pic...
  20. jimm3h

jimm3h Member

Ratings:
    +0
    :facepalm:
  21. Foster

Foster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,180
    The package name on the BT website is Unlimited Broadband and Evening & Weekend Calls it is £25 + Line Rental