Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best horror novels

Discussion in 'Books & Literature Forum' started by djdhrubs, Jan 22, 2012.

1. djdhrubs

djdhrubs Active Member

Ratings:
    +703
    Can anyone recommend some good well written horror literature? When it comes to movies, I'm a fan of all kinds of horror movie, whether it include sudden shocks or creeping dread, supernatural goings on or real world scenarios. Book equivalents are what I'm after.

Short stories or novels, a recommendation or two would be appreciated...
  2. bosque

bosque Active Member

Ratings:
    +558
    James Herbert's early books were good reads for horror, particularly The Rats.
  3. Badger0-0

Badger0-0 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,008
    Yes, I was particularly going to mention that book.
    Very well written, but in a very easy to read way :thumbsup:
  4. oska

oska Active Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Read all of James Herbert's books. There are a couple of iffy ones but I love the way he writes. His latest are good too. Once and Nobody True especially.
  5. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,014
    Rats is awesome, I think my favourite was the Fog though.

There is another horror writer that I read loads off, but I found his descriptions repetitive after a half a dozen books (mushroom cloud out the top of his head iirc)- it will come to me later.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  6. Sonic67

Sonic67 Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,039
    Clive Barkers - Books of Blood.
  7. simplicity96

simplicity96 Active Member

Ratings:
    +596
    Plus 1 on Herbert

Also Stephen king is not bad for the most part
  8. sugarbuzz

sugarbuzz Member

Ratings:
    +69
    For horror I've always been a fan of H P Lovecraft and Brian Lumley - great stuff! However for movie type stuff definitely James Herbert, Clive Barker and Stephen King.
  9. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE Active Member

Ratings:
    +293
    Dean Koontz, Brian Lumley and Stephen King. Dean Koontz's Phantoms is still one of my favourite scary books.
  10. djdhrubs

djdhrubs Active Member

Ratings:
    +703
    OK will look into things. I've not heard of Brian Lumley, but the other names are very well known. I read Domain by James Herbert (I think) when I was younger, quite liked it. But was looking for some slightly higher brow stuff!
  11. Garrett

Garrett Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,636
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  12. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,014
    Shaun Hutson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I liked quite a few of the ones I read from what I recall. Very graphic though.
  13. FruitBat

FruitBat Active Member

Ratings:
    +368
    Not exactly highbrow, but a bit different. If you like occult and don't mind old-fashioned then try Dennis Wheatley. The Devil Rides Out is perhaps the best known.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Nexus43

Nexus43 Member

Ratings:
    +128
    The Devil Rides Out is a brilliant book I absolutley loved that book as a teenager (47 now:() also by Dennis is To The Devil A Daughter and The Haunting Of Toby Jug, I agree with previous comments about early James Herbert the whole Rats Saga is great I think there are three books, The Rats, The Lair and Domain,Stephen Kings early work is all brilliant,also try The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty I think thats the scariest book I have ever read, again as a teenager, I have just finished a book called The Passage by Justin Cronin a Post Apocalyptic Vampire book, very good.
  15. sugarbuzz

sugarbuzz Member

Ratings:
    +69
    Blimey, how could I forget Dennis Wheatley :facepalm:
    Got pretty much all of his stuff now.

His (Brian Lumley) books of short stories would be the best to read first if you decide to, should give you a good idea of his novels.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  16. Garrett

Garrett Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,636
    Yes that's a brilliant novel I read most of his occult books and love to read them all again unfortunately most are out of print and only have two of his books The Devil Rides Out and Gateway to Hell.

I would say a bit more highbrow than James Herbert or Shaun Hutson who most of what I read always have nasty endings.
  17. Garrett

Garrett Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,636
    I read on story a bit back and is like a horror chase about some bloke involved with the dark arts and there's something after him that huge and calls at a family's house and I think they become tainted or something by his presence and there ends up with a chase across the country to escape it.

Any one know what the books called?
  18. Marc

Marc Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,094
    +1 for James Herbert. I've read all his novels and would say that the Rats/Lair/Domain trilogy is well worth a look, they are my favourites of his, and Haunted/Ghosts of Sleath are good if you're into ghost stuff (the third in that trilogy "Ash" is out this year at some point)

I've not been too keen on his more recent books aside from Once, which i enjoyed, as he's doubled the length of them without actually adding anything worthwhile so they're really padded out and hard going. No word of a lie, in one of them (i think Nobody True) he describes in detail someone walking round a grocery store including the products they pick up off the shelves..

Stephen King's short stories are really good as well, he has a few books full of those like Different Seasons, Skeleton Crew, Night Shift, Nightmares and Dreamscapes and Everything's Eventual. You'll be surprised at just how many of these have been made into films!

Dean Koontz is another one who has written a lot of good horror novels. He doesn't really write horror as much these days, he has branched out into suspense/crime but some of his older books like Dragon's Tears, The Watchers, Tick Tock etc are excellent.

Apparently Richard Laymon is good as well. I've not read any of this but my mum who is also into horror novels has read quite a few and liked them. He died back in 2001 so nothing new coming from him but he has about 40 published novels from the 80s onwards. I think "The Woods are Dark" is his most famous novel.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  19. Courtjezter

Courtjezter Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,329
    Of Laymon books i would recommend Savage, a fictionalised account of what happened to Jack the Ripper after he fled Whitechapel told from the perspective of a survivor of one of his attacks.

Dan Simmons is quite good. I enjoy most Stephen King books, i would say anything before Dream Catcher and you are safe. I find the first 100 or so pages of Kings books a bit of a grind though, but then they suck you in. Also check out the stories he wrote as Richard Bachman some of those are quite good, my favourite being The Long Walk.

There is also Joe Hill, who is Stephen Kings son. I have also got into an author by the name of Jasper Kent, whilst not full on horror his novel Twelve is an interesting mix of Sharpe and vampire set in Russia.
  20. tonycommander

tonycommander Member

Ratings:
    +94
  21. bosque

bosque Active Member

Ratings:
    +558
    The brow gets slightly high in Henry James's "Turn of the Screw" - have to say although I've read the James a couple of times James Herbert is still more readable :)
  22. rickinyorkshire

rickinyorkshire Active Member

Ratings:
    +501
  23. scodex

scodex Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I recommended herbert's book too.
  24. Weedle

Weedle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    They may be teen books, but the Darren Shan saga are excellent books. 12 in the series.
  25. bosque

bosque Active Member

Ratings:
    +558
    I had a look at these, they seem to almost unreadable, like logging onto a barely literate teenager's twitter account and reading his tweets/musings.
  26. Weedle

Weedle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hm, I guess you either love them or hate them :)
  27. sniffer66

sniffer66 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,323
    Always found IT by Stephen King a great horror story. I go back and re-read it every few years. Not just for the horror but his writing on childhood memories and relationships is spot on
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  28. Bimbeemer

Bimbeemer Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Another thumbs up for Clive "books of blood" Barker...

...Hellraiser, Cabal, weaveworld, imagica, damnation game...all pretty damn good.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. sharger

sharger Member

Ratings:
    +162
    Lying on a beach in Koh Samui and have just finished The Rats.

When I was a kid I spent all my pocket money on books reading from cover to cover, book after book. In adulthood however (41 now) I have had trouble reading books always finding a reason to put it down and do something else like watch tv! I'm a great fan of the apocalyptic genre and have read a couple of books recommended in another thread, but I think this book in particular has just re ignited that feeling I had when I was a kid. Easy to read and gripping... you know that just 1 more chapter then I'll go to bed scenario honest!

So thanks for the recommendations its appreciated...

I'm off to tackle Steven King's IT now... different proposition I know... 10 days left of hols hmmm.... I'm going in, wish me luck:)
  30. sniffer66

sniffer66 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,323
    Enjoy IT.
    Clowns will never be the same again :)

Btw , the film is nowhere as good
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012